• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

walsh_cm

Captain
31 Badges
Apr 19, 2003
Visit site
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
So I forced the Emperor into elective government. My Doux is 40% strength of all levies within Byzantine Empire. The next closest doux can muster 1/4 the army I can put on the field. My own mother, and cousin are allies within the same dysasty on the map. Yet I don't even have 2 votes. I have 1 vote for myself. My own mother, whom I just pushed her claim, and who has 100 opinion of me even votes for someone else. Is the game just nerfed to make it very difficult to take over the crown this way? Because I cant see how anyone else could possibly be better for it then me. On top of this there is the roleplay factor. A host bombed our map with 20K men, and I hired merc's and beat them myself. No thanks from the emperor. A small bump in his opinion to show his grat would have been nice. :/

If I can challenge the emperor on the field of battle, I should be able to name myself emperor. This happened many times throughout history, including in the ERE. My option is to depose emperor, but then install the current heir. I cannot make myself emperor.

So I forced the Emperor into elective government. My Doux is 40% strength of all levies within Byzantine Empire. The next closest doux can muster 1/4 the army I can put on the field. My own mother, and cousin are allies within the same dynasty on the map. Yet I don't even have 2 votes. I have 1 vote for myself. My own mother, whom I just pushed her claim, and who has 100 opinion of me even votes for someone else.

I would venture to guess it would depend on how you mother views (1-100) the current Emperor. If she likes him (50+?) she may vote for his choice or the choice of someone she likes comparatively to you. Check her "relations" tab to see if she has any lovers/friends with differing vote/choice for heir. Prestige may also play a factor but I'm not exactly sure.

Born in the Purple is probably a problem for you - they get a huge preference. Sounds in the current setup your only option is wiping out the imperial family.

So an attempt at overthrow in Elective only results in the heir taking power? Interesting. That doesn't sound right though...

If I can challenge the emperor on the field of battle, I should be able to name myself emperor. This happened many times throughout history, including in the ERE. My option is to depose emperor, but then install the current heir. I cannot make myself emperor.

Under elective succession, every eligible elector is also an eligible immediate heir... and every eligible immediate heir should be a valid candidate for a "Faction for ______" ... do you not see that faction option? Unless this has changed in one of the most recent patches, this was an option ever since factions came about.

As for the rest of your family not voting for you, killing the current emperor or his current heir if the next candidate is less appealing may result in you finding more votes.

So an attempt at overthrow in Elective only results in the heir taking power? Interesting. That doesn't sound right though...

The overthrow/rebellion option has always had this result -- the lord gives up the throne to his heir. It's a weird result, but that war CB is basically a "force abdication" CB. Likewise with Excommunication wars, I think.

Under elective succession, every eligible elector is also an eligible immediate heir... and every eligible immediate heir should be a valid candidate for a "Faction for ______" ... do you not see that faction option? Unless this has changed in one of the most recent patches, this was an option ever since factions came about.

Thank you very much. I did not see my name in there the first time, but it is. So I can attack and overthrow myself. One thing as a previous poster mentioned, no one was in the purple, as I already lost one election to just another doux. That's the election that really had me stumped. Now with him on the throne, he is picking his heir. And everyone seems to agree with him. I can see that I suppose, but me being destroyed in the voting to the prior doux, really had me scratching my head.

Strangest thing just happened. My ruler is maimed. And I have 4 sons, and did not want my territory getting wiped out, so I changed to elective for my government, and then everyone changed their votes for emperor. I had zero, now I am leading. And its not even close. I have 15 votes to 2. The only thing I can think of that I did was change my own laws.

EDIT: Ok now they just all switched again. There is something very hokey about all this. They all vote following one it appears, and which I guess is the Emperor. But what makes him switch I have no idea.

Last edited:
Strangest thing just happened. My ruler is maimed. And I have 4 sons, and did not want my territory getting wiped out, so I changed to elective for my government, and then everyone changed their votes for emperor. I had zero, now I am leading. And its not even close. I have 15 votes to 2. The only thing I can think of that I did was change my own laws.

EDIT: Ok now they just all switched again. There is something very hokey about all this. They all vote following one it appears, and which I guess is the Emperor. But what makes him switch I have no idea.

There is something a bit odd about what triggers a recalculation of "who I want to vote for" in elective succession. Changing who you pick as your own successor does seem to do this sometimes, and there is something in the computation related to "following suit" on the Emperor's choice.