• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LumberKing

Philosopher
106 Badges
Dec 16, 2013
www.christianforums.com
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
Although Paradox has put in quite a lot of effort into filling these history sections which the majority of the players will never see, I was just wondering, are some of the Emperors missing in the Byzantium's Title History Section? If so, who are the missing Emperors?

Although Paradox has put in quite a lot of effort into filling these history sections which the majority of the players will never see, I was just wondering, are some of the Emperors missing in the Byzantium's Title History Section? If so, who are the missing Emperors?
The western ones like Anthemius and Majorian.

Yeah, it's the history of the title of Eastern Roman Emperor + Emperor of the unified empire hence those exclusions. With that in mind it's pretty well covered.

I was impressed that they spent the effort to give them all pretty accurate traits though.

A bit off topic perhaps -apologies to OP- but does CK2 incorporate the Macedonian dynasty ruling from approx mid 800's -- 1100's? I'm curious to know if perhaps they claimed lineage from Alexander or his family as mandate?

Last edited:
Also, the reason the western emperors weren't included is probably because the history thingamajig is only relevant to the ERE, not the WRE.

Yeah, it's the history of the title of Eastern Roman Emperor + Emperor of the unified empire hence those exclusions. With that in mind it's pretty well covered.

I was impressed that they spent the effort to give them all pretty accurate traits though.

That's what I thought until I saw the likes of Honorius, Constantine III, and what not. It's not a complaint against Paradox, I just wanted to know who was missing so I could add them for my mod.

A bit off topic perhaps -apologies to OP- but does CK2 incorporate the Macedonian dynasty ruling from approx mid 800's -- 1100's? I'm curious to know if perhaps they claimed lineage from Alexander or his family as mandate?
Of course, the Makedons still rule Byzantium at the Old Gods start. Can't say I've looked into their history much, though.

Of course, the Makedons still rule Byzantium at the Old Gods start. Can't say I've looked into their history much, though.

IIRC, there are only a few of the in the history.

Even if one were to trace "legendary" roots, it couldn't go back to Alexander anyway as no characters can exist in BC.

IIRC, there are only a few of the in the history. Even if one were to trace "legendary" roots, it couldn't go back to Alexander anyway as no characters can exist in BC.

Ah, "Macedons" - "Macedonia." That makes sense. I wonder if there's a tie-in to the previous "Grecian" Eastern Roman Emperors?

Considering that Kings/Queens/Emperors/Empresses claim some genetic lineage to the old gods of the Sumerian/Egyptian/Greek/Roman (same gods, different names) pantheons - and since Rome is the last bastion of that era - wouldn't it be cool if CK2 or even a modder came up with an over-arching theme as part of the Roman Empire restoration?

The Makedons start out as rulers of ERE at TOG bookmark, but nope, they pretty much have no lineage records.

Well, its modding, but please do try to keep the unverifiable 'claimed' lineages to a minimum. History is better kept to 2014 standards, than 867 standards.

Basil I was born to peasant parents (his mother is unknown, and his father is given a variety of names). The geneology whipped up later was for show.

Well, its modding, but please do try to keep the unverifiable 'claimed' lineages to a minimum.

"Mandate" is divine right and prior to modern Christian "monotheist" monarchs, ALL previous monarchs claimed "divine" lineage... thus giving them "divine right."

Last edited:
"Mandate" is divine right and prior to modern Christian "monotheist" monarchs, ALL previous monarchs claimed lineage to old gods... thus giving them "divine right."

This is relevant how?

Michel IX Palaeologus should be in the list of emperors, even just for a single date.

So there are missing Eastern Emperors as well? If so, can we get a list of missing Emperors? I am intrigued...

This is relevant how?

What you quoted is not technically relevant to the original post. Someone took umbrage with an adjacent statement I made concerning the correlation between Roman/Greek emperors and the idea of divine right and whether it should be implemented into something akin to the "Old Gods" theme. It was in the context of expanding the original post. "Snarky hubris."

What you quoted is not technically relevant to the original post. Someone took umbrage with an adjacent statement I made concerning the correlation between Roman/Greek emperors and the idea of divine right and whether it should be implemented into something akin to the "Old Gods" theme. It was in the context of expanding the original post. "Snarky hubris."

I don't think anyone said anything about the Roman Emperors (at least the Christian ones) having divine rights. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you guys were discussing on the matter of the lineage of Basil I of the Macedonian Dynasty which somehow became something about Christian Kings claiming Divine Rights by copying it off their pagan predecessors. Hence why I asked how this was relevant.

I don't think anyone said anything about the Roman Emperors (at least the Christian ones) having divine rights. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you guys were discussing on the matter of the lineage of Basil I of the Macedonian Dynasty which somehow became something about Christian Kings claiming Divine Rights by copying it off their pagan predecessors. Hence why I asked how this was relevant.

Ah, in that case... forgive me if I misquoted, Christian rulers adopted similar "mandate" principles as their "pagan" predecessors with the exception of the general serf populace believing in monotheism and the upper monarchy/priest class adhering to the "old gods," aka polytheism. The first "Christian" emperor of Rome only used monotheism to unite the empire whereas he himself (Constantine) was a polytheist. Of course, I cannot exactly confirm this since I wasn't born in that time period, nor did I personally know Emperor Constantine.