• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kurblius

General
31 Badges
Feb 23, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
I am playing as Navarre and the King of England is my vassal. The ruler is the same culture and same dynasty as me. Unfortunately an English Duke has revolted, claiming the Kingdom as his own. The warscore is at 99% in the rebel's favour and there's not a thing I can do. I am not permitted to join his war. This new King hates my guts due to the "Foreigner" modifier and I also lose the +5 same dynasty modifier. I am thinking of granting this new English King independence so that I can press the claim of my kinsman, the old King. Alternatively I can revoke his title, but that would mean getting negative vassal opinion unless my spymaster finds him doing something he's not supposed to be doing. Thoughts?

Vassals' vassals revolting on vassals is rough, since there's not much you can do. You can try gifting money to the side you want to win and hope they buy mercenaries, and there's always the option of assassinating the claimant to end the war on the spot.

In your situation though, granting independence and pushing your kin's claim would be the best of both options if you can get your kin back in your court. Avoids the tyranny, you get a nice cash injection from besieging holdings, and you get a tiny bit of mil tech.

You can try gifting money to the side you want to win and hope they buy mercenaries, and there's always the option of assassinating the claimant to end the war on the spot.

Those are probably your best options. However, gifting and hoping the ai buys mercs can be hit or miss. The only way to truly ensure they buy mercs is to take control of the character and purchase mercs for them... which of course you probably already know and wish to avoid. That being said, assassinating the claimant is best. Unless of course, the claimant is the one revolting.

Those are probably your best options. However, gifting and hoping the ai buys mercs can be hit or miss. The only way to truly ensure they buy mercs is to take control of the character and purchase mercs for them... which of course you probably already know and wish to avoid. That being said, assassinating the claimant is best. Unless of course, the claimant is the one revolting.

The claimant was the one revolting. He had a temporary title, which prohibited me from assassinating him. But it actually didn't turn out too badly. When my ruler first came to the throne I gave the old King of England the Kingdom of Ireland. It didn't really add any new territory to the King since he already controlled most of Ireland so I figured it was a free opinion booster. However when the new King of England took the title the old king was still left with the Ireland title. As a result it seems the borders of England and Ireland were radically redrawn:

559C8ECD90102865CD10BC1EAA0AF2EF19465885

So my kinsman still has substantial territory, merely weakened a bit. Not an entirely bad thing - I don't want England to become too powerful.

Last edited:
Considering I'm an isolationist-style player who only plays Britannia, it breaks my heart to see the British Isles in so many colors. However, I do see your point.

I think it's actually quite beautiful. It's like England and Ireland are locked in a ying-yang embrace with a little bit of each in the other. It's intimate.

Or different colors of play-dough rolled together.

I think it's actually quite beautiful. It's like England and Ireland are locked in a ying-yang embrace with a little bit of each in the other. It's intimate.
Though what Capua is doing in Scotland looks uncomfortable for everyone....

I'm 99% sure it's not reset. De jure drift works both ways: if it was in Navarra for x years, it will take x years to go down to zero.

Ah. I will have to try this out at some point. It seems I have more pressing concerns at the moment though since I'm on the cusp of a massive empire-wide revolt. My ruler died before I could change succession laws, giving the throne to my hunchbacked, slothful, and cruel. The hunchback trait gives a -30 to all males in my realm because she's female (which is another -10), plus -5 for all vassals. "Dangerous Factions" risk has surpassed 120% with only 3 out of 150 vassals with a positive opinion of me. Sigh. This is what I get for trying to inherit the HRE.

Though what Capua is doing in Scotland looks uncomfortable for everyone....

Acquire through marriage. Scotland never got higher Crown Authority than "Medium" so this was possible. I first noticed it when I was prohibited from making a marriage alliance with Scotland for "Political Concerns", which was a bummer. Still, it actually proved useful in my invasion of England some decades later since landing anywhere else other than the provinces around Capua resulted in my troops dying from being "Out of Supply for X days".