• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

leemonk

Second Lieutenant
2 Badges
Jul 17, 2014
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
Hi,

Brand new to the game here.

I'm playing as UK and have attacked Italy in their Southern holdings but I can not seem to catpure territory. The area remains hashed with either Italy or with the original owners. I'm watching France tagging along side me taking territory.

Can anyone please explain to me how to do this?

Regards

Lee

When invading a country the territory captured is always hashed and it will be unitl you conquer them unless they go GIE (Government in Exile). First of al having hashed provinces isnt a bad thing, you have almost no revolt risk and receive more LS (leadership) and IC (industrial capacity) than when you conquer them. What you wanna do with your opponent can be decided through wargoals in the Diplomacy Screen. In your example playing England, you didnt declare war but Germany, most likely did. When you DOW you always have to choose a wargoal, byt when you're attacked its automatically conquer till you choose one. Basically you got three, sometimes four, options:
1. Conquer
2. Get Territory
3. Puppet
4. Install democracy/communism
Conquer menas getting it all there territory, though in the case of majors this usually doenst work out this way...entirely. The second one gives the option to go for certain territory one step at the time. You can add new wargoals every month unless you choose conquer. So you can also add extra territory. Puppet, means they become your puppet including all their territory but excluding any puppets they might have. The fourht option is usally picked before puppeting. This way you make sure you get a government you like and dont end up with Hitler or Mussuloni as rulers of your puppets.

But as long as there is one country is an faction and the country in question is part of a faction, they will go GIE. This means you conquered their country, but they fled to i.e. London and continue fighting and the provinces remain hashed. As said thats not a bad thing in general.

thanks for the very detailed reply.

How do I capture provinces that I can not access?

Regards

Lee

Depends on why you can't access them. More info needed.

As to the various conquest options, be wary of puppeting. That can cause all sorts of problems if you intended to use the newly conquered area as a jump off point to new conquests. Logistics gets all terribad when traced through a puppet, for example.

Remember, HOI covers a rather short period of history. All the absorption niceties are meant to be handled "off board" after the war is over.

Imo, it's better to leave stuff simply occupied and manage the new regions through the "Occupation Policy" gizmo on your politics page.

You mean with no infrastructure? You dont. Some will get hashed automatically and some wont unless you actually conquer a country. But you can always edit your saved game and change the controller.

Oh and as Pugmak posted, becarefull with puppeting and releasing puppets. If it's a warzone you will run inot major problems. The same counts for liberating countries. I.e. liberating France as the UK or USA is never a good idea until Germany and Italy are beaten because otherwise you are depending on French ports, infra, IC and techs, to supply you.

How do I capture provinces that I can not access?
The most frequent issue is due to low infrastructure, so you can't enter the province to capture it. Normally, controlling the surrounding or adjacent accessible provinces will cause the inaccessible ones to change ownership as well, but there are exceptions.

Generally, if you can't move a unit through it, it's not worth capturing anyway. Before you occupy enough VP provinces to make the owner surrender, you can claim it in Wargoals regardless of whether you occupy it or not, either as part of a "Conquer" Wargoal (where you get everything), or as one of a group of provinces which make up a claimable region. In many cases, you won't want to use "Conquer", either because the area isn't worth the cost of garrisoning, or because one of your allies has a Core province there and will get better use out of it.

Generally, if you can't move a unit through it, it's not worth capturing anyway.
The only exception is the Makassar strait strategic effect. You can only get that by editing your saved game cause the provinces needed to get is all have low infra :(

The only exception is the Makassar strait strategic effect. You can only get that by editing your saved game cause the provinces needed to get is all have low infra :(

While that Strategic Effect should certainly be fixed, there is a non-game editing way.

If you up the INFRA level of the province right below the lowest port (Balikpapan, is it?) from 1 to 2, then the 1-INFRA province right below it will convert to your side as well.

True, but depending on your practicals, it might take up to almost a year to actually get the bonus and by that time the Americans relly become a force to be reckoned with and an AI controlled Japan will never upgade the infra. But you post just triggered the idea to change the province file from 1-2 for the province you mentioned. Problem solved :)

I'm still having problems capturing all provinces in a region. There are areas of Libya, Algeria and Mauritania that I can not access to capture. THere are no troops there and I have capture all areas that I can access, but the others have not transferred to my control....

am I missing something?

no, your are probably not missing anything. there are provinces that neither are accessible nor border accessible provinces.
These cannot be taken over from the ground - and should not be taken from the air (because you don't want your PARA to be stuck there).
As far as I know, none of these provinces contain anything of value (no resources, manpower, VP, etc).

You can however demand the French North African regions in a peace settlement. Not sure about Libya.