• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wojcieh

Recruit
1 Badges
May 1, 2014
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Hello there! I have a little problem about inheriting Castille, Portugal, Aragon, Frisia... I have about eleven personal unions, all of them becoming my country when my queen dies. All but this four. I think the issue is that these four countries are colonial powers - Castille and Portugal pretty big (much smaller than me), Aragon and Frisia very small. When playing 5.1 I did not have this problem - I could inherit any country from Personal Union. My question - is there any changes about inheriting colonial country in 5.2? And if there is a difference than what are modifiers - maybe I need to be twice as big or I only can inherit by Integration...
PS
-bad boy rate is 4/18
-relations with all four countries - 200
-trust is very high (there are in PU for about 180 years)
-prestige is max
-heir diplo skill is 8
-ruler diplo skill is 6
-I'm not at war

Last edited:
Hi,

The problem most definitely isn't that they are colonial nations. I inherited both Spain and Portugal when I was playing the HRE and thereby gained much of both North and South America and other parts of the world. It was a mixed blessing as I got rebel problems in these areas and had to whack-a-mole for the next 40 years :mad:

Looking at all of your PS listings, I can't see an obvious reason for it not working out, but I would recommend expanding your Sphere of Influence by a lot! I have personally found that this is the (almost) silver bullet to inheritance. Without a massive SoI, I found I almost never inherited. With it, I inherited almost 100% of the time.

Thanks for response. I'll try that but isn't expanding influence kill my prestige? I was thinking about difficulty too - currently I'm playing very hard so maybe that's a problem.

Thanks for response. I'll try that but isn't expanding influence kill my prestige? I was thinking about difficulty too - currently I'm playing very hard so maybe that's a problem.

Well first of all, I don't play on very hard, I play normal. Frankly, I don't think it is fun to screw the levels up and up so I don't bother. No need I would say.

As you your question, yes it does kill the prestige but you need to co-ordinate it together with prestige raising events. I frequently do it just before I demand a price for the end of a war so I lose the prestige with the SoI before I settle for peace and get prestige from it.

Thanks man. :) I've got one more question (all this inheritance shit should be better described by paradox) how big shoud SoI be? Like 20 nations? 30?

I don't really have an exact answer to this so I will just say what I do.

I just build up very gradually, precisely because of the prestige reason you specify. I don't want to get too low either - I try to be as close to 100 as I can but I get nervous if I sink below 50. Obviously you start by losing 2 prestige for the first country, 4 for the second and so on. I only stop building when I reach 28, 30, 32, etc. I don't know how many countries that is, never counted but that is what I go by.

Remember - gradual build up. If I am in a war and about to sign peace, I look at what warscore I have and what I can get and count what prestige I could get. If I could get 30 prestige from my war, I add some countries (or one if near the 30 prestige losing point) and add as many as I can to allow myself to get the prestige up to 100 in the war demand. Remember also that if you already have 100 prestige and you get 30 from the war demand, then that is completely lost. You might as well then lose 30 to get it back in the war deal :)