• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Heinrikr

Captain
6 Badges
Jul 1, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
The way de jure currently works is not realistic and produces some very silly scenarios.

Why is lappland included in the kingdom of Sweden by AD 870? Lappland had never once been owned by any Swedish rulers, nor had there ever been any Swedes living there, nor can it be said to somehow be included within Sweden's natural borders. Does it, in AD 870, make any sense at all that Lappland should count towards being "king of Sweden"? Does it make any sense that lappish rulers or the lappish populace would consider themselves part of Sweden? Is it reasonable that a Swedish ruler would have a legitimate ruler to conquer lapps on the west side of the torne river but not those on the east side of it?

In 870 there was no idea of a Sweden which runs from torne river to småland. The people living in the territory of modern day Sweden, or even the territory of later medieval Sweden, did not consider themselves to have any common swedish identity in 870. The only kind of sweden there was, was the land of the tribe of the swedes (svithjod in-game). In 870, swedes were those of the tribe of swedes, and those who lived under the king of the swedes. That's the only swedish identity that existed back then. If you lived in vestergautland, you were a geat, not a swede for example. But as Sweden expanded to cover the lands it historically did, a swedish identity began to form, and when Sweden had held those lands long enough people started to consider it de jure and core parts of Sweden.

The problem with the current de jure system is that it assumes there is a pre-existing idea of a sweden running from torneo to småland. That's just wrong and unrealistic, and it's putting the game on a rail. Kingdoms didn't at all develop and expand to fit previously non-existing ideas as they do in CK2. Rather, they expanded where they could, and were formed organically, and what was considered de jure developed over time as these kingdoms established themselves. It is a completely different thing with being say king of Gallia or Italia, because there actually existed ideas of what Gallia and Italia were, and lands assocated with them.

In short, Sweden didn't conquer lappland because it was part of the idea of Sweden. Lappland became part of the idea of Sweden because Sweden conquered it. Paradox has gotten it completely backwards.

Now that I've explained how it happened historically and how the current de jure system doesn't model that very well, let me offer my bague idea of how to make a more realistic system. It's actually rather simple, and not very well thought-through as of now, so I'd like it if you'd help me expand upon this idea. And hopefully, paradox can make use of this idea as it will greatly help CK2 if they move away from this unrealistic system which tries to steer development according to history and not realism.

The basic idea is simply that there'd be a requirement of x amount of provinces before you can call yourself a king, and an even higher amount of provinces to call yourself an emperor. As of now, you can own 40% of the kingdoms of mesopotamia, armenia, syria and anatolia and you still can't call yourself king despite your realm being much bigger than other kingdoms. That's just ridiculous, and an obvious flaw. So when you've gotten enough provinces to be able to call yourself king, you'd create a titular kingdom empire which start to assimilate your currently owner provinces, and after a whiole they'll belong de-jure to your kingdom. This simulates perfectly how real kingdoms developed and how they got lands assosiated with them.

In short: 1. get rid of all de-jure kingdoms and empires which hasn't existed prior to start date. 2. a requirement of X number of provinces in order to form a kingdom/empire. 3. Once formed, the kingdom/empire will be a titular title which will begin to de-jure assimilate you current provinces. 4. paradox makes a dlc and profits.

Any feedback on this idea?

Neat idea imo, would mix things up a lot from game to game. Get rid of CB system in a way or alter it so even Christians can attack at will ( but with a penalty ). Have a start date where everyone on the map starts with 1 county and just go for it. Once you make a duchy the duchy is named after your capital province and starts to build a de-jure under your holdings ... same once you're able to call yourself king ( or use the editor to name them w/e). would create a pretty random game each time you play imo would be fun times.

Neat idea imo, would mix things up a lot from game to game. Get rid of CB system in a way or alter it so even Christians can attack at will ( but with a penalty ). Have a start date where everyone on the map starts with 1 county and just go for it. Once you make a duchy the duchy is named after your capital province and starts to build a de-jure under your holdings ... same once you're able to call yourself king ( or use the editor to name them w/e). would create a pretty random game each time you play imo would be fun times.

Ah, yes, the CB system probably needs to be looked at too. it's not very realistic either. I'd prefer it if it was more of "might makes right", because that's how it really was (and still is). In general, I'm no fan of how paradox leaves very little room to use realpolitik, and that you can't simply ignore the rules. But that's a topic for another thread.

Sounds interesting, but would require a lot of changes to many different things. Maybe in CK3.

It would change a lot of things yes, but it can be done in CK2 with the current mechanics. If I recall correctly, there wasn't kingdoms and empires which covered every single county in the earlier versions of CK2. I believe the only empires that existed was the ERE, HRE and maybe persia, and the rest was simply grey: not part of any empire. Similarily, there wasn't a kingdom for every county either. So removing those kingdoms and empires which hadn't existed prior to the start date can easily be done. And there's already titular titles, and there's already de-jure assimilation mechanics. That's all that's needed I think.

Sounds like something similar to EU's cores systems would do what you want. Or even just not having de jour kingdoms/empire fill out the map, but have them drift in after x years under a given kingdom (for realistic example: nobody wants Estonia, but after two centuries it becomes de jour Russia).

On a similar note, I kinda miss when kingdoms demanded a cultural link to form them. 876 Norse claiming Lappland as Sweden, kinda silly. Getting CB to claim/"liberate" neighbors within your culture group, however, gives a perfectly valid reason to add them to your fiefdom, with eventual drift to your de jour.

Sounds like something similar to EU's cores systems would do what you want. Or even just not having de jour kingdoms/empire fill out the map, but have them drift in after x years under a given kingdom (for realistic example: nobody wants Estonia, but after two centuries it becomes de jour Russia).

On a similar note, I kinda miss when kingdoms demanded a cultural link to form them. 876 Norse claiming Lappland as Sweden, kinda silly. Getting CB to claim/"liberate" neighbors within your culture group, however, gives a perfectly valid reason to add them to your fiefdom, with eventual drift to your de jour.

Well, what I'm saying is that those kingdoms which hadn't existed prior to the start date and which didn't even exist as an idea -e.g. Finland- should quite simply not exist in-game at the start. I'm saying that kingdoms should form whenever a non-king ruler has x amount of provinces and chooses to found a kingdom. And when it's founded, it will start as a titular title which will start to de-jure assimilate all counties in the ruler's realm.

I don't know about "liberation" CBs. It seems a bit anachronistic. Nationalism, as far as I know, wasn't really a thing back in the middle ages. I don't think people really cared that much about it in that sense, and I think the concept of a nation state was rather alien.

I'm being tongue-in-cheek when I say liberate. I mean more like "I'm Slavic, and the next province over are Slavic too. They should be freed from those Bohemian dogs and made to pay taxes to US" :D

I'm being tongue-in-cheek when I say liberate. I mean more like "I'm Slavic, and the next province over are Slavic too. They should be freed from those Bohemian dogs and made to pay taxes to US" :D

Bohemians are slavic, but let's ignore that for the sake of argument. See, I don't think such thoughts were common in medieval rulers' heads (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). I don't really think a slavic ruler particularily cared if the peasants over in another province were slavic too. I'd imagined he'd just be interested in having more taxes paid to him, not to build some kind of anachronistic medieval nation-state. I'd just like to see CK2 model the medieval world as close to as it really was, and as far as I know nationalism is very alien to the medieval world.

Well, idea of nationality (not same as those Neo-Nazi bs) started around Romanticism era. It probably existed long before that, but wasn't the same, kinda like Romans. You were either Roman ("civilized") or not (barbarian).

as for the game itself, they could do in CK3 similar thing like they did in EU4. Kingdoms that didn't exist historically in specific timeline can't be created until certain date. Kinda like Russia or Great Britain in EU4. No matter if you own the entire de jure land or not, you can't form both until historical date comes, then form it via decision (like Hungary, or restoration of Roman Empire). :D but I imagine with current mechanics, it would be pain to micromanage entire kingdoms.

Well, idea of nationality (not same as those Neo-Nazi bs) started around Romanticism era. It probably existed long before that, but wasn't the same, kinda like Romans. You were either Roman ("civilized") or not (barbarian).

as for the game itself, they could do in CK3 similar thing like they did in EU4. Kingdoms that didn't exist historically in specific timeline can't be created until certain date. Kinda like Russia or Great Britain in EU4. No matter if you own the entire de jure land or not, you can't form both until historical date comes, then form it via decision (like Hungary, or restoration of Roman Empire). :D but I imagine with current mechanics, it would be pain to micromanage entire kingdoms.

That's a horrible idea. Why should it be impossible to form a kingdom before an arbitrary historical date simply because it didn't happen in history? If I hold all of England - or all of Britain why shouldn't I be able to form them, regardless of date?

Isn't the closer historical analogue that almost every noble themselves king or equivalent (some variety a sovereign lord) until an equal- or lower-ranked noble came along and said 'submit to me or die, and you can't call yourself king because I'm the king and you can't be my equal?'

I'd like that better than a minimum land requirement. Something like, every county can create a titular duchy, kingdom, and empire. And if created, the noble is whatever rank s/he says they are unless and until someone comes along and revokes or destroys the title in a war.

In fact, doesn't that Dynamic Duchies mod do what I've described?

Yeah, Dynamic Duchies and the Titular Titles Abound mod

No, I don't think that'd be a good idea at all. It much better if the game develops in a realistic manner, and that the game mechanics are flexible to allow for alternate history, rather than arbitrarily limiting things because of how they historically were. There should, ideally, be as little of that as possible.

Isn't the closer historical analogue that almost every noble themselves king or equivalent (some variety a sovereign lord) until an equal- or lower-ranked noble came along and said 'submit to me or die, and you can't call yourself king because I'm the king and you can't be my equal?'

I'd like that better than a minimum land requirement. Something like, every county can create a titular duchy, kingdom, and empire. And if created, the noble is whatever rank s/he says they are unless and until someone comes along and revokes or destroys the title in a war.

In fact, doesn't that Dynamic Duchies mod do what I've described?

That's more regarding the title of rulers, whilst my proposal is about the actual kingdoms. I suppose, in an ideal ck2, the rulers should be able to name their own titles.

That's a horrible idea. Why should it be impossible to form a kingdom before an arbitrary historical date simply because it didn't happen in history? If I hold all of England - or all of Britain why shouldn't I be able to form them, regardless of date?

Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. EU4 uses different mechanics for kingdom\empires... but dunno, I think "core" mechanic and overall diplo peace deals were lot better in EU4, It would be interesting to see in CK breaking of betrothals, alliances, breaking of vassals contracts and so on as part of peace deals.

I always felt that warscore is more important in EU4 then in CK2. You don't have to get to 100%, but it's always a better to do it. In CK2, you have to have 100%, but there's not much flexibility when it comes to peace deals. :(

I believe that every province in CK2 needs to be part of a de jure kingdom. I think it's to do with the way that independents in de jure kingdoms get to vote on crown laws even though they aren't vassals of the king.

Empires, though, can be a blank slate (as per the vanilla release).

I believe that every province in CK2 needs to be part of a de jure kingdom. I think it's to do with the way that independents in de jure kingdoms get to vote on crown laws even though they aren't vassals of the king.

Empires, though, can be a blank slate (as per the vanilla release).

Would that really be a problem though? were we to implement my idea, kingdoms existing prior to start date would be unaffected, and in the other cases there wouldn't be a kingdom to hold votes in anyways until it was actually formed, and then it would have organically formed de-jure lands.

No, it's not a problem gameplay wise, your proposal makes sense. I just think (I could be wrong) that it's impossible to mod in at present, so it would need Paradox to change the hardcoding.

One gameplay issue could be the fact that the AI expands in crazy ways so you could get weird, patchwork de jure borders (although you already get that with the current de jure drift sometimes). Maybe make it so that formed kingdoms have to use land in the same broad geographical area.