Battle being taken over by puppet general

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did you send them in there yourself, Sam, or having puppeted Slovakia earlier did they just appear there? If it's the latter it's one of my pet peeves with DH - they've been automatically strategically redeployed there because there was fighting going on at that location. It's absurd, but at least in my experience I've never had a puppet general take control of my troops.

Did you have a named leader in control of your troops there or was it a generic leader?

Last edited:
I've given things a little more thought and it probably doesn't matter what type of leader you had on your force - what mattered was his rank and that of the Slovakian leader. To salvage the situation, either appoint a higher ranking leader to your own force or take military control of Slovakia then replace the Slovakian leader with one of lower rank than your own.

In either case I recommend taking military control to prevent this kind of nonsense from happening again.

I don't understand, so you had a skill 0 leader, and once you receive an extra division and a skill 1 leader you go from winning to losing?

Yeah i ended up taking control. I just had a generic leader prior to that. They walked right in and took over, and yeah his skill was 1. Thanks a lot AI :D

Never, and I mean NEVER, leave generic leaders in charge of anything if you can avoid it. They are skill 0, gain no experience and can't be ever promoted. They suck big time. Even Old guard skill 0 Mj. general is better, because he will get some xp through combat and might actually improve with enought time.

If you don't want to do that much micromanagement, just let AI auto-assign leaders and then, just before an important campaign, find your best leaders through ledger and manually assign them to your most important divisions. The auto-assign option is activated by clicking on a general's portrait, there should be a field named Auto-assign that you can check or uncheck.

Just to know, is there a way to replace official generals for generic ones?

Now that I know that I don't want to spend generals for divisions doing things like garrisoning.

If you click on the pic of the leader in the unit display, Saint, you'll get an option to remove him. Do that and he'll be returned to the leader pool and replaced by a generic leader.