• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fellow noble and honest servants of the Shahanshah.

The Empire is in a dire moment. Hormizd, my husband, our beloved Shahanshah, died almost a year ago. It was a great tragedy for our nation and our people, and with him, died a great Shahanshah, an even greater man. His son, Adhur Narseh, was to be crowned our new ruler, but, he was killed by traitors, by people which hated the Shah, and the country. Heirless, my own son, then still to be born, was crowned in my own belly, and, in such strange circumstances, Shapur ascended to the throne.

Not born to be a ruler, but born as a ruler. It´s a sign of his future greatness, when he grow, and take the power he was born to wield. But for now, we must take care of him, take care of the empire, as he is nothing, but a crowned child. So long and he is unable to reign by himself, I ask the nobles of the country to serve him faithfully, as the true heir of Hormizd and Sasan, as the Guardian of the Light he is. Neither the Shahanshah or the Queen will forget their friends, and I promise anyone which serve him with upmost loyalty, will be correctly and appropiately rewarded

In other state of affairs,the Arabs have entered the country, destroying our properties, sacking our towns, looting our fields. As such, any defense against them is of a extreme urgency and necessity, and I ask every man of the country, which know how to ride and fight in a horse, which can addord his own weapons, his armor, which call himself a cataphract, a rider, an archer, to question himself "What can I do for my country? Can I really help him? What do I value more, my own security, or the lives of my fellow countrymen? What should I do, wither here, or ride to battle, against the enemy, the possibility to gain the glory, to be great, to improve my morals and myself?". If you ever had a proper education, you will know what a real Wazargan, a noble warrior of Iran, will reply to each one of these questions. I hope that you do, and all brave men of the country report to Eran Spahbed himself, the very noble Karen, and offer to serve in his army against the Arabs.

Let this message be heard by all. Let the people know the real state of the Realm, and make them think to themselves how can they help their friends, their ruler, their neighboors, and all the beautiful people which inhabit Iran.

Ifra Hormizd, Banebshenan-Banebshen, Queen Regent of the Realm, in name of Shapur, son of Hormizd, Shahanshah and Guardian of the Light

After the third Creation, it was Adam and Even who managed to re - produce in order to trap more light to human bodies. Yet it seems to me, that with each passing day the world sinks further and further into the darkness. Corruption, war, destruction and generally violence and a rise in criminal activities is something everyone can notice in the region of Eshafan and the whole Persian Empire. And what better proof that the evil being which used to rule the world are still there, other than the fact that the teachings of our great prophet, Mani himself, have been outlawed ini the two biggest and most greedy empires the world has ever seen? Was it not with Jesus the Radiant that his teachings as well were at first mocked and then disallowed?

But he who has faith, always finds a way to surpass the evil within. For always, those who wish to show mankind it's true source of spiritual light and salvation are those who in the end are justified. The Manichean followers and I, together with many Apostoles and Presbyters, have decided to step up our missionary attempts to the whole world, be it East, West, North or South. We are not afraid of the corporeal powers that have subjected the material world, for the Father of Greatness protects us. And in the end, it's his name and power that will be felt far and wide, and not that of the King of Darkness. Hollowed be the Manichean faithful!

-Excerpt from the Book of Kings, written by Psattiq Sohrah

The Year 309 AD

With her infant son ascending the throne as Shapur II, the regent Ifra Hormizd decided she would use some of her wealth and influence as regent to try and gain the support of the nobility. Throwing parties, granting minor titles, and giving away lands. She is successful in this and gains a loyal following of nobles and bureaucrats. (-4000 wealth, -30 clout, formation of the a clique of officials loyal to the regent)

With the area around Fars being attacked by Arab raiders the regent decided to use the monies in the Imperial treasury to arm provincial militias. Also the money is used to build small fortification that will be constructed by the peasantry. Any remaining money is given to the provincial governments to help by more arms for the people. (-60,000 Drachams from the treasury)

Achaemenid_Army.jpg

Some of the drafted militia troops ready to fight the Arabs

With the continued presence of Arab raiders the regent has set aside some money from the Imperial treasury to pay the troops, supplies, mercenaries, and to gain the support of neutral and friendly Arab tribes. With several members of the Imperial council missing the regent has decided to allow the traders and merchants the one time right to name the Ho Tokhshan Bod, there representative in the Imperial court. The regent scours the empire looking for suitable replacements to the remaining positions on the council. (-20,000 Drachams from the treasury, -20 clout)

Before heading off to war, Eran Spahbed Vandad Karen spends his time looking for a suitable bride. He finds a woman born into of the seven Parthian clans, the highest nobility of the empire. There are married but the celebrations are short lived for Vandad must head off to war. (+25 clout for Vandad)

Vandad then sends off an emissary to speak to Ghassanid tribe of Arabs, the emissary has yet to return but Vandad is hopeful that he was successful in his attempt to vassalize the tribe. (Emissary is sent, he should return soon)

Moabadan-Moabad, Sarosh Ishtakri spent his year traveling the empire preaching, converting, and assisting other religious figures and commoners in spiritual maters. While in many places he is welcomed and respected, he has a close call when he and his party are attacked by a mob of Manichean fanatics who seems as symbol of the dark material world. (+15 clout, light injuries sustained)

Sarosh during his travels visits many Zoroastrian philosophers and theologians and purchases many books and other works on Zoroastrianism and the prophet Zoroaster. This texts will surely help in the education the Shahanshah once he is old enough (+5 clout, -1500 wealth)

parsee-priest-4+-+Copy.jpg

Sarosh speaking to crowd of faithful

Marzoban Hormazdad Spandiyadh decided to form a personal bodyguard of about 50 heavily armored Cataphracts. They come from local nobles and members of his household and have the finest weapons, armor, and horses money can buy. (-8000 wealth, formation of a loyal guards to accompany the Marzoban everywhere)

Hormazdad continues with his project of repairing the destruction in Upper Assuristan caused by the Romans over a decade ago. The rebuilding of irrigation canals and helping the farmers take back there abandoned plots. Every seems to going well, the province is being rebuilt and the local Assyrian people feel that the Empire truly cares about them and the province is becoming more economically powerful. (+20 clout, -20,000 from the Imperial treasury, +2000 to treasury income)

Psattiq Sohrah spent his year in Esfahan, giving money to the poor and spreading the word of Mani. The poor are very grateful and many join the Manichean faith. These poor also seek there relatives telling them the words of the prophet Mani, bringing more converts to Manicheanism. (-9000 wealth, +20 clout, +300 income from donations of the faithful)

Mehrdad Varshasb spent his going across the empire to recruiting men from various military units to from a new elite and professional military force. This 5000 man unit along with 1000 man reserve to replace fatigued soldiers during battle. (-7500 wealth, +15 clout)

Mehrdad spent the rest of the year training his new group of troops. They were drilled in all forms of weaponry and in tactical formations, the training goes well and with any luck they will be ready to face the Arab invaders. (Troops are well trained and ready for battle)

1384365696343.jpg

Just some of the new elite soldiers in Varshasb's unit

Kajik Saatjian spent his year meeting with Imperial officials to gain lands for the remaining elite Armenian Cataphracts in Imperial army. While he does face some problems from bigoted officials who oppose his Christian views, others see the value in making sure these elite troops are taken care of. He also uses his money to arm some of the Armenian troops. (-5000 wealth, new lands and weapons for the Armenian troops in the Imperial army).

Kajik also makes a dangerous journey into Roman controlled Armenia to recruit new troops for the Cataphracts. He tells them that joining the Imperial army will help them in the eventual quest to overthrow the pro-Roman king and restore Sassanid rule to Armenia. He is moderately successful, and some troops cross back into the empire, others however stay because they don't want to leave behind there family. (New troops for the Armenian Cataphracts)

((OOC: I'll do a mini update for the battle against the Arabs, hope everyone is liking the game :).))