• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lollibast

Captain
38 Badges
Jan 26, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Iron Cross
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
has anyone experienced naval friendly fire yet?
a sag consisting of mainly BBs and screens engaged a 2 DD enemy "fleet" and I lost one BB sunk by one of my own CL. As my fleet was at 100% strength and 2 DDs posing no threat whatsoever I must assume my BB was one shotted and I wonder how that is even possible game mechanic-wise not to mention real life-wise ...

Yes Friendly fire does happen. Its not too common but a few ships per year. As for the CL sinking BB in 1 shot dont think thats possible game but it mey have been the one that fired the finishing shot. As for real life 1 torpedo can lead to a sunken BB depending where it hits. Luck always plays a role in evrything.

well i dont think the 2 italian super weak DDs pounded my BB to near 0 health and my CL gave it the mercy shot. out of 4 ships I lost during the war so far 3 were sunk by friendly fire

What i ment if that your other BB bullyed the one that sunk :). But in ALL hoi games the weakest part is the naval combat :(. Hopefully hoi 4 will have some improvemewnts for it as well. As for the losses only the one that hit last will be marked as killer and making too big fleets will result in more FF than having small fleets. What size where your fleets?.

For that single battle i think 80-99% of the dmg to that BB came from other souce than the CL that got marked whit the kill.

Sadly for detailed info on naval battle you need make the game stop when naval battle starts and turn speed to min. If you just look at the end info or the statistics your missing nearly all the info.

Yeah the naval battles are very fast , here iis what what i think based on what i have observed during the naval battlest i slowed down to ANY ship in fireing range has a possability to attack friendly targets, due to that especialy whit SAG's its best to keep the size in the <15 personaly i usualy use like 2 BB/BC, 2 CA, 2-4 CL, 2-6 DD MAX . On the few times i play UK on the med i mey eaven use 2 BB/BC, 4 DD or even 1 CA , 2 DD fleets. Small fleets = less likely to shoot friendlys.

In my oppinion/estimate you should not ever put more than 4 BB/BC or CA(if using them as main fire component ie. no BB/BC) in same fleet. Prop same whit CV's as CV's can "shoot" frienlys too.

For CV fleet's you can add about the same ammount of BB's as CV's but i do not recomend going above the number.

However this is all based on personal observations, how fully accurate the info i give here is unkown.

For GER, ITA, JAP a warning thou USA loves to use doomstack CV fleets rather effectivly whit loW FF ammount, they are best counteded whit same tactic if in open water , or whit Tac-NA wings if "close"(400-800 KM) to land + regular Fleets.

Yes, I always watch naval battles on the slowest setting too - they're my favourite part of the game, even though they're the least well implemented. And yes, i have seen FF too, although it's very rare for me to lose a ship to it. I've always assumed that it's not completely random - that the quality of the commander, weather, experience, etc., all play a part in causing a ship to fire on a friendly, as with the other aspects of the battle.

Of course, in reality there were some rare instances of deliberate friendly fire as well, although I don't think anything was sunk that way.