• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also notice how Johan is going full EA these days. "muh multiplayer" I have never played multi and likely never will. How long until the Mountain Dew and Doritos DLC?

Also notice how Johan is going full EA these days. "muh multiplayer" I have never played multi and likely never will. How long until the Mountain Dew and Doritos DLC?

I think it is a sure sign that Paradox will be the EA of grand strategy when two forum posters can simultaneously invoke that evil unspeakable company at the same moment.

When Johan mentioned Blizzard as his favorite game development studio in interview, I couldn't help but laugh, because Paradox's (or EA's) recent releases are completely at odds with the huge, concisely planned, and beautifully optimized expansions that Blizzard releases for their games. (a fact that one must appreciate whether or not they actually like the content.)

Mind if I cut in?

Not at all.

The balance in a single player only game can afford to be very different from a game which includes multiplayer.
An exploit only available to the (human) player in a single player game can be shrugged off as "use it or don't", and doesn't affect anyone else's play. Having to look out for these though in a game with multiplayer potential - as a human player might exploit it against another human - tends to mean that you'll look to eliminate them to start with.
You're also committing a mild strawman fallacy here by extending Johann's argument into an area he didn't even touch...

However, I can provide anecdotal proof for how a multiplayer balance has improved single player for me, in that 50% duchy usurpation being changed for 51% as a result of "player exploitation" has stopped the AI being able to similarly usurp my duchies when in a 50-50 split duchy, and stopped pointless back and forth claims destroying the money and prestige of relatives I may inherit into.

While first off, yes i went a bit into hyperbole to extend the point i was making, the initial statement is not without merit. While yes you can have benefits from testing the game with other players in Multiplayer, it does not mean its inherently correct, after all you cannot, and should not even, ignore that the AI is part of the gameplay, that there is still a singleplayer component to consider. Which is not really being considered. What after all is the benefit of five more years of Truce, to the player in Multiplayer? Unless the penalty includes something that isnt just "other nations will like you less", which another human player will not care about in the least. As such the change affects primarily singleplayer, rather than multiplayer. Having to sit around and do "fuck all" for 15 years because of a change is not good game design at all i think. If there was a trade-off to actually be able to do something in the meantime there would be no issue i think.

It is not necessarily "I've been doing this longer than you, you know nothing", but rather "I've been doing this successfully, hopefully I know what I'm doing".
He's also not claiming to be immune to criticism, just that he has a good track record.

Which he could have easily phrased that way, Reddit is not limited to 140 characters like Twitter or something. The phrasing of the words still leaves to be desired ultimately. He is claiming to know "better" however, which is essentially a slap in the face to the playerbase who actually plays those games. Now i will not say he cant play his own games, but being the developer he is inherently biased because he created, or helped create the game. His track record also wouldnt really make him immune from fucking it up badly enough that said track record had a black mark.

So you claim to know more about how things sell than he does?
Do you have a solution to the multiplayer problems, or is it (as some other people have claimed) "trivial" or "so obvious it doesn't need to be mentioned" to fix?

He's also saying that the game sells better because of multiplayer, not because it happens to also be multiplayer when compared to a completely different genre of game.

On another note, you're assuming that the paradox multiplayer game in 10 people because what?
You know the staff numbers?
You know who plays out of the staff?

And yes, 10 players is quite small compared to the total number of available countries/playable characters or whatever. So is 32, which I believe is the maximum number of player controlled countries/characters, so I'm not sure where that's going.

Why do we get balance patches based on how they play? Because they see the same issues that we do. Because they get to test how to resolve issues. Because fundamentally they're the people who make, test, play, and ultimately have all the aggregated data on bugs and exploits. If you don't like them controlling how the game is balanced and rebalanced, perhaps you should try writing and balancing a game, and then balance it how your fans (who know nothing of what a balance change does behind the scenes) demand.

Here's a hint for you - the majority of voices you here on anything are complaints. This is partially counteracted by a small number of enormously positive comments, but if the majority of your player base say nothing, then it's probably going well for them. When was the last time you posted to any consumer forum or contacted a company to say you were "satisfied" or "merely happy" with service or the results of something they did? Out of all the people that play paradox games what proportion do you thing are telling them that they "fucked up" as you wonderfully put it? Even from the proportion of people that play paradox games and participate in the forums on any level - which is already going to be balanced to mostly be complainers and the very happy?

You are now using the same Argument from Authority fallacy, just to preface my rebuttal.

I have never stated i know better than he does, i have stated that it is ultimately self-defeating to make a game which sells well and gains high scores in some arbitrary system. Rather the focus should be on making a good game, the sales and scores will come in afterwards and if either is lacking then you can see where you went wrong. The Multiplayer argument also falls flat when statistically only 15% of all EU4 Players actually play Multiplayer, that means the highest percentage of your playerbase is not interested in multiplayer, or not exclusively at least.

Therefore balancing the game around what players COULD be doing in multiplayer is pointless unless said playerbase actually is for the majority making use of the multiplayer component. As to how big these numbers are of their internal matches is redundant to the topic, i merely used a figure at random, whether that figure is entirely correct or not does not change the argument im making. If as you said 32 is the maximum, then whether i had said 10 or 32 is pointless, wouldnt you say? As to answer the other questions, no i have no idea how to fix the multiplayer issues such as desync, but if the focus is around multiplayer, i.e. balancing is done in multiplayer, then perhaps a better idea would be to actually have the multiplayer fully functional, which would potentially lead to more people actually playing against other human players.

And this is where the Argument from Authority comes in. Yes they have more data at hand as to how people might play in multiplayer, what they do, tactics, country choices and so forth, yet you have failed to point out just what 15 Year Truce adds, as i said another human player might not even care about it and as such ignore it entirely, even breaking these truces since the only one who actually cares is the AI. Being resigned to waiting around 15 years with nothing to do is a bad idea. So unless they also add things to do during the meantime, it seems like an arbitrary change for no reason other than that they felt you should sit around and do nothing for that time. If a game becomes a chore and boring, it stops being fun and people stop playing.

I don't blame them for being mad at their game constantly being turned on its head, which seems to be the issue with both CKII and EU IV right now.

How so? I feel like CK2 has been pretty consistent, unlike EU4. CK2 gets very few nerfs and re-balances, and when it does it's usually after a new mechanic is introduced, like the pagans after Old Gods. And even then it's still a one way change -- you don't see pagans getting nerfed, un-nerfed, and re-nerfed over and over in every new patch.

How so? I feel like CK2 has been pretty consistent, unlike EU4. CK2 gets very few nerfs and re-balances, and when it does it's usually after a new mechanic is introduced, like the pagans after Old Gods. And even then it's still a one way change -- you don't see pagans getting nerfed, un-nerfed, and re-nerfed over and over in every new patch.

They are getting turned on their heads in different ways: EUIV gets rebalanced, CKII gets new features that don't work, or new patches reach around and break old mechanics.

In either case, you get a gaming experience that is not stable and doesn't carry over between patches.

A-D, you keep on asserting that Johan's sole experience of the game is multiplayer. That assertion is wrong. Not only do you have no idea what Johan's experience actually is, he has stated in the past that he also plays the game in single player (and incidently gets the results of other peoples play both in the office and beta tests, and overnight runs etc etc). At that point, you are skating on even thinner ice, because you are also asserting he is a liar.

In any event, the relevance of your complaining about Johan's EU4 comments to this topic, on this board (which isn't EU4), is nil. Kindly desist.

They are getting turned on their heads in different ways: EUIV gets rebalanced, CKII gets new features that don't work, or new patches reach around and break old mechanics.

In either case, you get a gaming experience that is not stable and doesn't carry over between patches.

Leaving aside that RoI was a special case, because it added so much, and then they had to fiddle with CPU-use (which they warned people about at beta time), they've actually slightly improved in that regard. LoR gave the Byzantines access to imperial reconquest at all times, the Republic had several mechanics nerfed, and the Old Gods started with the Magyars keeping their Crimean territory (and the norse had way too many good troops and leaders). Ah yes, and there were a number of other long standing bugs that the last patch squelched (I mean they finally noticed that republican spouses had male feudal names - that one was a day 1 Republic bug).

That said, they would have probably been better off declaring that patch process feature complete sooner than they did.

No. Leaving aside the code base is going to become unwieldly (this bit needs LoR, this bit needs RoI, this bit needs...) technology isn't going to stagnate. At some point it will be best to start with a new slate - EU4 basicly started with everything from Eu3's 5 expansions, just tied together better & with some different mechanics. Clearly, however its going to be some time off.

Even though something marketed as CKIII it doesn't mean the codebase is significantly changed - in fact it is both policy and practice of programmers to fix a codebase by pruning it and *not* replace it. That's a time sink better used elsewhere.

Also, EUIII+expansions is still a more polished game and more in depth than EUIV currently is with all published expansions. EUIV is has more or less feature parity with EUIII but it isn't nearly as polished yet.

As for CKIII, it will exist if the market needs it. CKII can be upgraded indefinitely as long as people buy it, so in that sense it can almost have the old MMO pay-per-month model. However, unlike MMOs, the threshold for new players becomes ever more difficult since they have to pay for all expansions at once which stands at 152.58 USD full price. Sure you could subtract some sprites and music but it won't get you under 100 bucks. That's a tall threshold and people really only get in when the bulk of the game is at 75% off.

So this business model demands a reset, sooner or later. Then we will have Crusader Kings III, and it will be based on the exact same codebase as CKII. That's just practical.

There is not bluntness there. What i see is arrogance and delusion. A game designed around Multiplayer, when most of the Userbase does not play Multiplayer, nor is the game properly optimized for multiplayer (desync and other issues), is useless. Designing the balance of countries around that does not work. Having 15 years of nothing to do, since EU4 also suffers from the "Nothing to do in peacetime" problem is not good game design. Neither is following the EA-tactic of going after the lowest common denominator and chasing useless metacritic scores, scores which can be gamed by coordinated meta-bombing in either direction.

The simple idea that a game is made to sell well and gain a high metacritic score, rather than be a good game and gain fame because of being a good game is utterly absurd. And no, the Argument from Authority fallacy doesnt work here. If their "vision" for the game is different now than what it was when they initially made it, then i will question this so-called "vision". As well as their oft-proven behaviour of caving into the demands of the loudest minority which results in nerfs and fixes for problems which are almost non-existant.

That's very true, I totally agree with you. What annoys me is the duplicity of Johann (unless his english is just that limited, then I apologize) when he claims that EUIV is "balanced" around multiplayer and that's great for singleplayer -- if only that were the case. The game is probably balanced in multiplayer etc, but *features* are added or subtracted because of multiplayer.

That's beyond balancing, unless that term can be applied to designing a game in general. Which is farther than the term can stretch.

EUIV is not a multiplayer game. In fact it is mentioned in reviews, just mentioned as something to avoid (e.g. http://www.destructoid.com/review-europa-universalis-iv-259939.phtml )

EUIV will never be a multiplayer game primarily or to a large degree. It is logistically not practical, it isn't very well supported (irony, I know) and is in the end arguably worse than just getting a board of Risk out and gathering a few friends.

The games Johann has made, the EU ones in particular, are surprisingly good single player games and have *no* competition. They have always been "ok", but never excelled. The UI is consistently terrible, improving, but terrible. Crucial information is either hidden, hard to find or hard to understand. The game is unfortunately in the hands of a person who is dedicated to his vision, but his vision is so short sighted. A pity.

But what is one to do? Play games from the non-existent competition grand strategy game? :wacko:

The question was about balancing - it was very rudely phrased and the reply was blunt, it boiled down to "if it's properly balanced for multilayer, it's properly balanced and works well generally."

A good way to test balance is to have two humans play a game, switching out so that both people play both ends.

Yeah, and the answer was about *features*. There's a huge distinction between *features* and *balancing*

Johan: "3) i'd love some working mechanics for MP" when asked whether there any features from EU4 other than naval battles that you guys want to bring to CK2.

I'm sure balancing with MP is a relatively cheap and effective way to figure out how mechanics work, but the moment a feature is added or subtracted *because* of multiplayer, it's no longer balancing. Then the game is just being designed *around* multiplayer (for no good reason because it is just a slightly more popular feature than smallpox)

Don't make excused for Johan or PDS, they have people they pay for that.

That simply states that the NEXT expansion won't be a map expansion into China. Not that it will not ever be there.
Exactly. We have to remember that PDX sees dollar signs just as much as other companies. If an expansion like that could bring them in swathes of cash, they'd do it.

Notice how the China fanboys are always the most annoying and whiny?

No, but the ones always going on about "feudalism" and HRE mechanics sure are.

Hm. I hope it's not a Steppe expansion in that case, as much as I'd love on, that'll likely cut off any possibility for a Chinese expansion, which I would eventually like to see.

Here's hoping for a peacetime DLC :).

Hm. I hope it's not a Steppe expansion in that case, as much as I'd love on, that'll likely cut off any possibility for a Chinese expansion, which I would eventually like to see.

Here's hoping for a peacetime DLC :).

Steppe DLC preventing a China DLC? Count me in, the steppes very much need work, and there is no need for China.