• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sure. Yorkshirefolk are mad for decomposing shark steeped in month old urine.
I don't think enough Yorkshirefolk have tasted fermented shark to comment on it.

I mean the British eat Marmite regularly could suggest that fermented shark will be popular.

The good people have east Anglia have a lot germanic genetic indicators. This is almost certainly saxon.

I am an East Anglian. As far back as my family have cared to look we have always been from in, or close to, East Anglia.

My hair is blonde, my eyes are blue. My mother was blonde (her parents both blonde), my father a redhead (his parents both redhead).

Am I Saxon?

Sure. Yorkshirefolk are mad for decomposing shark steeped in month old urine.
There is no urine involved in the preparation of Hákarl. It's the same basic method that traditionally was used in the preparation of:

Gravlax
Gravad_lax.jpg

You just bury it on a beach and let it ferment a little ^^

I am an East Anglian. As far back as my family have cared to look we have always been from in, or close to, East Anglia.

My hair is blonde, my eyes are blue. My mother was blonde (her parents both blonde), my father a redhead (his parents both redhead).

Am I Saxon?

Almost the entirety of my English ancestry comes from within the Danelaw. Six of my great grandparents had blonde, red, or light brown hair and blue eyes. What does my Y-Chromosome tell me? If I was any more native I'd be Neanderthal. My mother's mtDNA? Far side of the continent. Amongst Europeans, appearance is a no guarantee of genetics.

There is no urine involved in the preparation of Hákarl. It's the same basic method that traditionally was used in the preparation of:

You just bury it on a beach and let it ferment a little ^^

That.. actually looks quite nice.

Last edited:
How Norse were the Normans? It always struck me that in late 1066, England was being invaded by two Viking armies but were the Normans more Romance or Norse? Did they bring any Norse linguistics or culture into English society not already introduced by the Danes?

How Norse were the Normans? It always struck me that in late 1066, England was being invaded by two Viking armies but were the Normans more Romance or Norse? Did they bring any Norse linguistics or culture into English society not already introduced by the Danes?
The Normans had been living in France for almost two hundred years. They were Catholic, they spoke French, they used a French-style feudal system.

The Normans had been living in France for almost two hundred years. They were Catholic, they spoke French, they used a French-style feudal system.

So they had no Norse legacy at all? I haven't done enough research about them to come to a definite conclusion.

So they had no Norse legacy at all? I haven't done enough research about them to come to a definite conclusion.

They maintained a definite connection to the North, and were culturally still seen as a people apart from France. Although the French language had definitely come to be their tongue as well. Their Catholicism is not really worth mentioning, by that point pretty much everyone in Western Europe was Catholic.