• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Manchuria's tow-three industrialised provinces hold more IC than the rest of the communist area combined (especially as they seem to have lost Yan'an). Go for those, they are relatively easy to reach on the one-province wide ocean-side road that actually has any infra. If you have any airforce, conduct logistical strikes on the ComChi held, low infra provinces. Their TC must be at least as bad as yours. Use that to your advantage. Whenever you see their troops shuffle around, attack, dislodge, but do not occupy the province (unless its a high-infra ones, then try to send a cav to tear stuff up). They must not be allowed to recover org.

Once you are close to Port Arthur, strike north, eliminate half their IC (former Manchukuo capital and the province next to it), and then slowly grind them down.

Easier said than done, I know.

Quite the struggle you have going on in the final attempt to unify China! Onward you go to victory!

Manchuria's tow-three industrialised provinces hold more IC than the rest of the communist area combined (especially as they seem to have lost Yan'an). Go for those, they are relatively easy to reach on the one-province wide ocean-side road that actually has any infra. If you have any airforce, conduct logistical strikes on the ComChi held, low infra provinces. Their TC must be at least as bad as yours. Use that to your advantage. Whenever you see their troops shuffle around, attack, dislodge, but do not occupy the province (unless its a high-infra ones, then try to send a cav to tear stuff up). They must not be allowed to recover org.

Once you are close to Port Arthur, strike north, eliminate half their IC (former Manchukuo capital and the province next to it), and then slowly grind them down.

Easier said than done, I know.

I want to weave a realistic story out of this, so I wont be doing gamey things

But dam, who ever modded China in this really hates the nationalists

I know obviously the nationalists lost and when it went bad for them they completely imploded. But these dam corruption events fire like pop corn hitting me with dissent and disbanding divisions, now a new event is firing which completely decimates my infantry org........ I think NWO and Grand campaign modders could rework China as it just feels at the moment that the game is going all out to make me lose.

I'll have the next update up soon

To be fair, if they were going all out, they'd do something stupid like "All Nationalist provinces in mainland China defect to the Communists"

That being said however, is it possible to build up some soldiers fast enough to counter this?

To be fair, if they were going all out, they'd do something stupid like "All Nationalist provinces in mainland China defect to the Communists"

That being said however, is it possible to build up some soldiers fast enough to counter this?

Where I stopped it now, I have been hit by the infantry event twice now, my infantry literally can not win battles due to having no org, infantry not in battle and in even good infa provinces they still lose org and the corrupt event seems to love disbanding the few armoured divisions I was able to build :mad:

I think you're having worse luck than anyone else, I usually get a few of those, but not as many as you're getting. But it is realistic, corruption was bad and often troops deserted, basically the Communists were able to easily take over the NRA equipment because so many men ran away

I think you're having worse luck than anyone else, I usually get a few of those, but not as many as you're getting. But it is realistic, corruption was bad and often troops deserted, basically the Communists were able to easily take over the NRA equipment because so many men ran away

I am not saying these shouldn't happen, but not to the extent it is now, especially when I have managed to keep dissent so low, and I think what lost the war on the front was that the NRA's best units were cut off and destroyed in Manchuria, not what is happening here

I think you should be given a choice event:

a) Try to eradicate corruption - large amount of dissent, repeated rebellions by warlords, but no more corruption events
b) Muddle through - no changes
c) Coopt the corrupt officials and local warlords - you get some militia, large reduction in industry efficiency and constant losing money events

I am not saying these shouldn't happen, but not to the extent it is now, especially when I have managed to keep dissent so low, and I think what lost the war on the front was that the NRA's best units were cut off and destroyed in Manchuria, not what is happening here

look, if the game is deliberately set up to make you lose, you have every excuse to be gamey.

Brother Against Brother - Part 4

24mffbt.jpg

A Nationalist Panzerspähwagen in Shaanxi

“One must have the Ability to Climb a Single Mountain''

vy6vex.jpg

Nationalist Artillery in Shaanxi

The front had settled after the events of the previous year, bolstered by mountainous terrain and inhospitable plains have set in difficult odds for either side to make a decisive break through. However The Nationalist Revolutionary Army Command Chiang Kai Shek had set out ambitions to oust the Communists from Shanxi, Shaanxi, Sichuan and Southern Gansu provinces and push into Ningxia and Nei Mongolia provinces by the end of 1949, to accomplish this task the army issues mobilisation orders, the redeployment of rear guard divisions to the front, war production is geared towards upgrading and modernising the army to match the increasingly well armed communists and supplies are stock piled to support the coming offensive.

25ri1k4.jpg

New Nationalist Recruits

The ''Hundred Mile Offensive'' was anticipated to push back the Communists a hundred miles along the Northern Central Chinese front, those hundred miles that contained the strongest communist defence, the densest Maoist troop numbers and the harshest terrain. If Chiang Kai-Shek could oust the communists from the remainder of Shaanxi, Ningxia and the Southern portions of Gansu, then communist efforts in China proper would come to an end, Nationalist troops could easily march to the border, Communist held territories cut in half, the west open to liberation and the potential to pin Mao in Manchuria, which would be an entirely different war in itself. The guns opened for the offensive in March 49 and the initial gains were promising, the People's Liberation Army still reeling from the previous years Yan'an and X'ian Campaigns. The forward communist lines buckled by mid April and the NRA began advancing into the Communist second lines.

25zksa1.jpg

Nationalist Light Artillery Pounds Forward Communist Positions

The rate at which communist rising in the South decreased over the coming Spring months as clearly all communist efforts were directed at containing the nationalist thrust. To the east the communists had amassed a substantial force around the nationalist lynch pin of Chengde in the defensive perimeter of Peking, when they fell upon the nationalist defenders they overwhelmed the perimeter defences and a long and bloody month long battle through April saw vicious street and urban fighting as the nationalists withdrew to the city to make their stand, however the nationalists would be forced to retreat least the New 6th Army be ravaged by the numerically superior communists in the urban fighting. For the rest of the year and into 1950 the New 6th supported by other nationalist forces would dual with the communists in battle and Chengde would change hands no less than four times and be reduced to ruins by January 1950, over 130,000 nationalist troops alone would fall in the numerous battles around the city. In the main offensive area to the West, the nationalist offensive fell upon the communist Second lines and grappled with a far stronger and determined communist defence, better organised Maoist defences put up stiffer resistance and it was not until June until they broke, but at great loss to both sides. When the nationalist forces had finally taken the first objectives in the offensive, a determined communist counter attack pushed back the exhausted and disorganised nationalists.

302p1k4.jpg

A Nationalist Soldier Collects Discarded Communist Weapons from the Field of Battle

Over the Summer and into Autumn immense effort was invested by both sides in terms of men and material into the offensive. No less than three times did the nationalists dislodge the communists, only to be repulsed themselves by communist counter attacks. The extension of mobilisation for the front caused great resentment amongst an already war exhausted and disillusioned people. Mutinies in the form of a refusal to spread through out the infantry divisions of conscripts, while the armoured and cavalry still maintained discipline, the ability of the nationalists to carry on the offensive was crippled, however it had become apparent that disillusionment was grappling the communist ranks as their infantry divisions also suffered from desertion and pacifism. The costs of the war, civil sabotage, corruption and the changing global economy seen domestic Chinese industrial production crash by 40-50% severely hampering the long term viability of the war economy to meet the demands and replenish the losses on the front, inflation completely exploded as the economy and monetary system imploded in upon itself under the pressure or war, bad debts and crippling levels of government junk bonds. Internally the Nationalist state was in a state of implosion.

21kytfr.png

The Collapse on the Home Front looks like it May Lose us the Initiative in the War

Most serious was the 779 Incident on Formosa. Ever since the Chinese resumption of administration, there had been a steady decline in relations between the mainland and its newly returned island province. Cultural issues resulting from decades of Japanese rule, the ending of the much valued autonomy infavour of the increasing centralisation of the nationalist government in Nanjing. The marginalisation of the Formosan population by an influx of the mainland Chinese and the stripping of the decent economic legacy left by Japan instilled great resentment. O the 7th of July 1949 the islands erupted into revolt against Nanjing rule, fearing a potential communist revolt the Kuomintang embarked on brutally suppressing the revolt. Troops hurriedly brought in from the mainland ran amok and brutally dealt with the Formosan's, often indiscriminately killing people in the street when they arrive into the towns and villages, the revolters were disunited and formed liberal and communist nationalists and some mere autonomists wanting to remain part of China, but with self government, all were branded treasonous and viciously put down. By December the revolts were crushed, however the incidents causalities are measured into the tens of thousands and marked the start of a serious and wide spread Nationalist policy of brutal suppression of dissent in what would become known as the ''Great Chinese White Terror'' or the ''Bamboo Terror''.

2e1xete.jpg

The Execution of Formosan Dissidents

The heavy fighting on the front had taken its toll, some of the crack and veteran troops of the NRA had been expended in the fight, the will to fight of the nation was broken, its army exhausted and disorganised, the people unwilling to carry on unknown years of fighting and the danger of revolution now a serious possibility, Chiang Kai-Shek was able to again secure vast sums of money from the Americans in order to some what stabilise the regime and country from complete collapse. Only generous investments in infrastructure and education tempered the growing revolutionary spirits of the people from erupting, and even the Americans were growing recalcitrant with the Nationalists. Below bated breath the Americans lambaste the Generalissimo derogatorily as General ''Cash my Check''. While the ''100 mile offensive'' was militarily a success and punched the Communist state in two and crippled the PLA, it was done at great cost in terms of over a two million men expended in the campaign and the almost implosion of the nationalist state. 1950 would need to see a final decisive victory or negotiated settlement lest the entire Nationalist state collapse and a new era of warlordism engulfs China. Time was running out for the Middle Kingdom and its White Sun.

25irkas.png

A Precarious Situation between Strategic Advantage on the Front, and Potential Collapse at Home

Last edited:
What about spam militia?And how are your doctrines?

I say resist the temptation to try and nullify the disadvantages of the events and bear with it. You are still making good progress so far, and this war is far from being over. Besides, even if you lose, some of the best AAR's I have seen are ones where the player actually is defeated, and if you can win, your victory will be that much sweeter.

And hey, if you lose, you can always continue the AAR by playing as Taiwan, doing things like being the USA's little helper in East Asia by taking part in the Korean War, Vietnam War, or try to retake the mainland in a future conflict, aided by the USA and the other "Blue Dragons" like South Korea or Japan.

I say continue on the current path. Play this as realistically as possible! If you lose the war and your home-front collapses, continue as Taiwan! That still counts as the 'Republic of China'!

sm3j2a.png

Another civil war event crippling all my infantry and two weakness of the Kuomintang events in one year that hit me with 32% dissent collectively and disbanded 8 divisions

If anyone reading this is modding for the grand campaign, please sort out nationalist China.

This is masochism, how can I possibly win this legitimately?

Played on a bit more, now I get with with events giving 20% dissent and disbands 5 divisions a pop

Last edited: