• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TentacleMayor

Major
70 Badges
Mar 27, 2008
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Does anyone use the bookmarks and characters marked interesting? I think the 'start from 867/1066 and conquer everything' playstyle is vastly more popular. I'm playing Latin Empire 1204 now, hoping for some events or something to add flavor.

Sure. I use it for shorter games, when i don't have the time to invest in long campaigns, and to make some quick saves for the converter.

I usually like starting out in 867, because I almost always start as a count & sometimes it takes a long time to get something good going when you start so low.

I usually just fish around for an interesting scenario 50% of the time. The other 50% is usually 1066 or the Alexiad or somewhere in between.

Don't play 867 anymore because the behavior of the Karling blob is utterly immersion breaking to me.

Reactions:
I don't play 867, because it's really bad bookmark: blobs are almost everywhere. And in places there aren't, are either really lame or really skeletal pagans.

The later bookmarks are fun to play. It's really hard to play longer than 200 years anyway, since you blob out too much.

I almost always play the bookmarks. I especially like the one with the Latin Empire; the world is in quite an interesting state there.

Does anyone use the bookmarks and characters marked interesting? I think the 'start from 867/1066 and conquer everything' playstyle is vastly more popular. I'm playing Latin Empire 1204 now, hoping for some events or something to add flavor.

Well, starting from 867 or (less commonly) 1066 (I use both 1066 bookmarks) are my favorites. But the others are all pretty cool too. The Alexiad is a lot of fun if you're tired of the same old near-east all the time, and the one where you can start as Ghengis Khan is just pure win.

I found myself starting more often from start dates that are not bookmarked than bookmarked dates (other than the 70% 867 and 1066 starts). But those are mostly dates that are shortly around bookmarked dates.
On I quite liked was 1st April 1205 (instead of the Latin Empire bookmark on the 16 May 1204) playing as Cyprus.
At the Latin Empire bookmark 59 year old Amaury II is still alive and King of Jerusalem and Cyprus, while in 1205 Hugues aged 11 is only King of Cyprus (with claim on Jerusalem, which has a female ruler.)
I wanted to play as Cyprus, but starting with both Kingdoms on an old King felt weird chaning primary titles and besides Trebizond does not have it's titular Kingdom at the bookmark date.

never clicked on the bookmarks. Somehow feels like I'm not playing the game right if I don't start from the beginning.

Using most pre-determined "interesting" bookmarks (like, Jorvik in 867 or Byzantium in the Alexiad, and so forth--and not counting the intentionally absurd ones like Khazars or Karen) take 100-200 years max before you've arrived at the point where you've won, and its just a matter of what shenanigans you want to fill the rest of the game with. Even starting as an obscure 1-province count in 867, you'll be king of the universe by 1100 most of the time. So, once you get tired of that, the later bookmarks add a lot of variety and flavor at the price of a bit less screwing around for the last half of the game.

Still, I too usually start at the earliest date possible. :ninja:

My most recent infatuation is visiting republics after having it since the night it came out. I just came up with an idea for a campaign. Norse republic. Go from Venezia to the northlands and conquer and convert to heathenry!

Whenever I want to play as realms not present in 867/1066 start dates (like Jerusalem, Latin Empire, Mongol Empire, etc.), I use the bookmarks. Also, when I want to play after certain events (like restoring Byzantinium with Alexos) I also choose bookmarks.