• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RyanX

Colonel
63 Badges
Jun 5, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
The Tales of Brandenburg
~From Obscurity to Greatness~

1FHcg2B.png

A Roleplaying After Action Report​

Yooohooo! Hi there. Thanks for clicking on my thread. I wouldn't blame you if you stopped reading now and left, though. Are you still reading? You must be. Very well, I shall enlighten you on what exactly this is.

I have played EU4 since it came out. I have racked around 350 hours of playtime as of today. Some may consider that a lot. I consider that a lot. Point being, after so much time, the game just simply becomes repetetive and easy. Even the most difficult and smallest of nations can - with the use of gamey and exploitative tactics - become a world power, and after a couple of games like that, it just becomes boring.

That's when I started getting into mods. One of my favorite ones - Veritas et Fortitudo (hint hint) adds a lot more difficulty, variety but most of all - flavor to the game.

So I have decided to create an AAR for a nation using the VeF mod. After thinking long and hard -actually, it was more like three minutes at most - I have decided to pick Brandenburg. Well, right now you may be going - but Brandenburg is sooo overpowered with its ideas, high basetax, plus it's an elector, yadda, yadda, yadda, well that's true and untrue at the same time.

If you are familiar with the mod I will be using, you may know this already and feel insulted that I am explaining it here, but I shall do so anyways. In Veritas et Fortitudo, all provinces start with lowered base tax values. This means less forcelimits, less goods produced, less manpower, less tax income all around. Furthermore, Brandenburg is surrounded with Bohemia (the emperor) to the south, a very very hostile Poland to the east and two major rivals - Pomerania and Mecklenburg to the north and to top it all off, is part of the North German technology group, which is extremely weak until tech 10, and even then their units pale in comparison to the far more superior Polish hussars.

We will be picking the 1370 start for Brandenburg, 50 years before the Hussite Wars. The AAR will mostly be a lot of text and roleplaying. If you expect me to explain game mechanics, you may be dissapointed. Every single post I make will essentially be a story, most of them even from an in-character point of view.

Alright. The compulsory introduction is done, let us get on with the AAR.

~Setting the Stage~ (1369 - 1372)

Winter, 1369.

'Twas a cold Christmas Eve. The entirety of Christian Europe celebrating the birth of their savior. With the masses occupied in Churches and Cathedrals, deep in prayers, nobody would have suspected that just a few miles from Berlin, in the county of Altmark, history was about to be made.

They sat and eagerly awaited. Four men, all of noble blood, all of great importance to the electorate. For all of them, the envoy with the seal of the prince-elector came but mere two days ago. What could have possibly been so important to warrant a meeting in secrecy outside Berlin? And on Christmas Eve no less? They sat in silence, and eagerly awaited.

Moments later, the doors to the room opened. Through the doors, in the company of his guards walked the prince-elector Otto VII von Wittlesbach himself. He nodded towards the guards and they left. The sounds of locks being set interrupted the silence amongst the men present.

"My noble advisors." the prince-elector spoke up. "I have gathered you here for one purpose, and one purpose only. To restore the glory of the once great electorate of Brandenburg. You are here, because you have served me loyally for the past few years, and you are here to help me put my plan in motion."

"What do you have in mind, my Liege?" one of the advisors spoke up.

"All in due time, mein freund. Ludwig: What is the status of our army?"

An old robust man with receding hair, wearing a military uniform stood up and cleared his throat. "The Royal Army, under the command of Wilhelm Selasinky is currently positioned in Neumark, with smaller peace-keeping regiments of around a hundred men each stationed in each major city."

"What is our total number of men. How many toops can the army effectively field?"

The royal accountant, a man with a clean white shirt and elegant black pants stood up. "Last year's grain production has been somewhat poorer than expected, but our granaries are reporting a surplus. I estimate the Royal Army could support two or three more regiments at most."

Otto nodded and turned to Ludwig. "Ludwig. I want all the post guards to report for Neumark. The Royal Army needs to be at full strenght, and I want it by New Year's."

Ludwig stared blankly at his liege, then nodded. "It shall be done, milord."

"Good. Johann." the diplomat froze in place "What is the state of our allies? Could we count on them in the event of a war?"

"The count of Anhalt has a very high opinion of you my liege. The lords of Brunswick and the prince-elector of Saxony however, not so much. I fear they aren't very supportive. I would describe their opinion of us as cordial, at most."

"And what of my brothers?"

"Duke Stephan of Bavaria described you in the most obscene and unfavorable terms. On the other hand, Rupert I of The Palatinate respects you er... moderately. However I doubt he would be of much assistance in any armed conflict milord." the advisor explained. "Will you tell us what you have in plan?"

"It is simple my friends. Three day past New Year's, we shall attack Pomerania." the prince-elector spoke as it was a normal occurence.

Winter, 1370

On the second of January, twenty miles away from the Pomeranian border, hidden in the province of Neumark, the Brandenburgian Royal Army of 8000 soldiers was training. The general, a young man in his prime sat upon the hill and watched his soldiers prepare for the oncoming assault. Having witnessed many battles in his time, he knew the war would be bloody, but that they would emerge victorious in the end. Amongst the men, morale was at an all time high, with soldiers eagerly awaited battle against their nation's sworn rivals. That's when his thoughts were interrupted by an arriving messenger.

"General Selasinky! General Selasinky! I bring an envoy from the high council." he said as he handed the general a sealed envelope.

The general merely nodded and broke the seal. He pulled the letter out and read it. His eyes narrowed and his nostrils stated fuming. "This is an outrage! They want me to attack tomorrow, while I am still awaiting my reinforcements! My men will not be able to fight at full strenght! What insanity is this?!" he yelled at the envoy.

"The Pomeranians have begun talks of an alliance with the Bohemians. The prince-elector demands we strike before an alliance may be forged, general." the messenger replied. "Our reinforcements are but days away, and your forces should be enough to defeat the 5000 men standing army."

The general calmed down and sat on the grass, pondering his options. If Pomerania managed to strike an alliance with the Bohemians, any hopes of conquest would be over. His men could defeat the Pomeranians, no - they will defeat the Pomeranians, but he won't have enough men to maneuver around the army. The losses will be far more in number than predicted.

"What of Brunswick and the Saxons?" he finally asked.

The envoy grinned widely before replying. "It would seem the risk of replacing the diplomatic advisors paid off. Our envoys have managed to persuade the prince-elector and the count to aid us. You will have a backup force of fifteen thousand at your disposal, general!"

He smiled. At least some good news. Pomerania would not stand a chance. Tomorrow by this time, he would be engaged in glorious battle. The general stood up and thanked the messenger. He needed to prepare his men.

So as planned, in the early morning on January 3rd 1370, 8000 Brandenburgian soldiers made their way across the border and marched towards Pomerania's capital city of Stettin, where their main and only army was positioned. As predicted by the general, the battle was bloody and prolonged. At the end of the day, 1500 Brandenburg troops laid dead next to 2000 Pomeranians. Not the clear victory the prince-elector has imagined. But with reinforcements on the way from Saxony, Anhalt and Brunswick, the Pomeranians would not stand a chance.

RP88rFV.jpg

Summer, 1370

It was a warm September day. The prince elector was residing in his castle, surrounded by his most loyal advisors, all drinking wine, singing, dancing and celebrating the progress of the ongoing war. With Brandenburgian armies laying siege to Stettin and Stargard and the Saxons and Brunswickians laying siege to every other castle in the duchy, it was truly a reason for great celebration. After a couple of quick battles, Pomerania saw its army destroyed by the mighty North German alliance, and it was only a matter of time before the duke would finally obey and accept any demand the prince elector would have.

Unbecknowst to them, this was all about to change.

"My lord! My lord!" an emissary ran through the door.

The music stop and everyone froze, looking at the emissary as if he has signed his own death warrant. "What is the meaning of this?!" the prince-elector demanded.

"My apologies, sire!" the emissary bowed. "But I bring grave news. Our scouts in Uckermarck sighted a Mecklenburg army cross into our lands and lay rampage to villages along the border. They have declared war on us, sire!" the man yelled with a high pitched panicky voice.

"Ho,.. how many?" Otto asked in a low and raspy voice.

"Six thousand sire, possibly more!"

"A.. and the Poles?" he asked in the same tone, well aware of the alliance that Mecklenburg had with Poland and the implications of such a pact.

"No word from them yet, but our scouts report seeing their army mobilize. They are coming right for us, sire!"

The prince elector stood in the room in silence for a couple of seconds. Unable to speak, unable to move, deep in thought. After a few moments, he cleared his throat and yelled. "Everybody out!"

All of the room's occupants scattered and left the castle immediately after. In the center of the ball room now stood the emissary, the prince elector, Ludwig - his military advisor and Johann - his diplomatic advisor.

"Ludwig, what are our options?" he finally asked.

"The army of Mecklenburg is weak in number and lacks in morale. It is the Polish we have to watch out for. Should they enter our lands with their men, our armies - while strong in spirit - would not stand a chance against their numbers."

"Can we count on our allies? What about the emperor? Can he help?!" he asked his second advisor.

"I will send envoys to them immediately, but they all should defend us. As for the emperor, he will claim it is Mecklenburg's war, therefore he has no right to interfere. I am afraid the emperor will not be of help in this conflict."

He pondered the implication of that statement before turning to his military advisor once more. "Can we win this, Ludwig?"

To the prince-elector's horror, the advisor shook his head. "The only chance we have is to recall our armies for Pomerania and launch a massive counter offensive against Mecklenburg before Poland reinforces them." he continued. "If we make Mecklenburg bleed by raiding his lands, we might be able to negotiate a favorable peace deal. Well, favorable considering the circumstances."

"Do so Ludwig. Defending the duchy is our number one priority, abandon the sieges up north."

AFSP9ap.jpg

Autumn, 1370

It was as the prince-elector commanded. Brandenburg and its allies abandoned all sieges in Pomerania and launched a massive counter attack against the armies of Mecklenburg. A new general was appointed to aid Wilhelm Selasinky in defending the motherland, and a series of quick battles in Uckermark and Schwerin left the army of Mecklenburg completely obliterated. But with a force of 26 thousand Polish troops passing Berlin, there was no reason for celebration. The prince-elector was currently in a tent just miles away from the Polish army, debating the situation with his advisors and a possible defense strategy.

blwyIZ7.jpg

XaPMkml.jpg

Fortunately for prince-elector Otto von Wittlesbach, things were about to look up.

"The duke of Mecklenburg is ready to talk, sire."

"That rotting no good skank, what are his demands?!"

"It seems your tactic of laying waste to his cities has worked. Rather than risk our armies move up on his own castle, he is willing to sign peace for a handful of ducats in recompense."

The prince-elector was pleasantly surprised. "Do we have enough?"

"We would need to take a loan, but it is better than the alternative. If we were to lose to the Polish, he most certainly will demand more. I suggest we let him keep face and give him what he wants."

He only thought about it briefly before agreeing. "Do so. Inform the armies that they are to regroup in Berlin and re-launch the attack against Pomerania. Let us hope there will be no more interruptions."

shatLeO.jpg

Autumn 1372

The war between Mecklenburg and Brandenburg lasted two months. During those two months, Mecklenburg saw its armies completely and utterly destroyed, while the armies of the electorate got off with minor scraps and bruises. Officially, the victor was the duchy of Mecklenburg, but whole of Europe knew that the real victor was the electorate of Brandenburg.

With its armies untouched, the electorate began re-occupying the once abandoned sieges up north in Pomerania. The duchy had attempted to mobilize its armies and fight back, but the two month interruption in the war was not long enough for them to regain any significant strenght, so they were defeated once more.

For the next two years, the North German alliance laid waste to the once-proud duchy's cities, pillaging and looting, while smaller contingents would continue to siege down the last bastions of resistance. For two long years, the Pomeranians managed to bravely resist the armies of Brandenburg before being eventually overcome. It was on October the 3rd that the last castle just outside Stettin had fallen to the hands of the alliance, forcing the proud duke to seek an end to this brutal and prolonged conflict.

"You demand WHAT?!" the duke of Pomerania screamed.

"Your abdication, and the installment of my nephew, Boguslaw as the duke of Pomerania." Otto explained calmly.

"So that Pomerania can become your personal puppet?! This is an outrage! You cannot do this!"

"I can and I have. Your nobles agreed to recognizing him as duke, in return for some privileges. All I need now is for you to abdicate, a formality really." the prince-elector beamed with glee.

"And if I do not?!" the duke asked.

"Then you and your heir will die by my sword. I am fine with either option."

The old duke fumed, protested, threatened, but eventually agreed. The duchy would be ruled by the prince-elector's nephew, Boguslaw and thus began the ascention of Brandenburg into one of the most prominent countries in history.

t14f7GW.jpg

AAR Directory WORK IN PROGRESS!

Decided to create a list of chapters for potential readers, so it is less disorganized and more pretty (yes, more pretty, not prettier!). Plus I like lists, everyone likes lists, right? I even listed all the things I have listed so far... enough rambling. The gameplay is split into Books and Chapters. A Book will contain a certain time period specific to history, e.g. the end of the Middle Ages will be one book, the Renaissance will be another. Every Book will have an X amount of Chapters and a Chapter is a part of history specific to Brandenburg that changed the country's course one way or the other. Chapters could range anywhere from three to ten publications, depending on the events that happened and may contain massive wars spanning over a couple of years or even decades of reforms and diplomatic events.

Happy listing!

Book I: A Prince Rising - History of Brandenburg and Its Ascension To The Forefront of European Politics

- Chapter I: Long Live the Emperor! (1369 - 1385)
- Chapter II: Federation of North German Principalities. (1385 - 1340)

Chapter I: Long Live the Emperor! (1369 - 1385)
Prince Otto VII von Wittelsbach, regent of Brandenburg.

1. Setting the Stage (1369 - 1372)
  2. Dreams of a Prince Elector (1372 - 1373)
  3. A Taste of Things to Come (1373 - 1374)
  4. War for Oldenburg (1374 - 1376)
  5. The Prince of Terror (1376 - 1377)
  6. War Does Not Determine Who Is Right... - Part I of the Brandenburg - Bohemia War of Succession (1377 - 1380)
  7. ...Only Who Is Left - Part II of the Brandenburg - Bohemia War of Succession (1380 - 1383) TBA

The directory is a work in progress and is does not represent a finished product. Ryan does not claim any responsibility for potential health issues caused by frustration or stress while browsing the directory. Any and all complaints are to be delivered to the nearest trash bin.

Family Tree of the von Wittelsbachs, mid 1300s to early 1400s. (contains spoilers, ignore this while I find a fitting chapter to post this to - I am putting it here so I don't forget).
SN9DIuZ.png

Last edited:
Interesting start. If you could perhaps now and then demonstrate something about the mod that would be really nice too.

Subbed :)

Interesting start. If you could perhaps now and then demonstrate something about the mod that would be really nice too.
The rivalry CB Mecklenburg used and the installation of a relative in Pomerania upon vassalization are both features of the mod.

This is very well written, by the way.

Very nice! Thanks for posting this! :)

Dreams of a Prince-Elector.

~Dreams of a Prince-Elector~ (1372 - 1373)

Autumn, 1372

Following the victory of Brandenburg which saw the von Wittlesbach familily expand their influence by proclaiming Boguslaw the lawful duke of Pomerania, a great celebration was ordered in the prince-elector's castle. Gathered in the main hall were dozens upon dozens of people of merit to the electorate, many of them noblemen - royal advisors, military officers, clergymen, tax collectors and the prince's honorary guest, Boguslaw X. All of them revering in this great victory, all of them celebrating.

All of them, but one.

Across the ball room, in the prince's private chambers sat Otto VII von Wittlesbach. His head deep in thought, he sat behind his desk, pondering his next move. That's when the door to his quarters opened and through walked Johann.

"My liege, you wished to speak with me?"

"Johann. Please take a seat."

The man sat down uneasily. Surely, the prince elector harbored no ill will towards him, did he? The victory Brandenburg scored this fall would be one spoken of for many generations to come.

"I have called you here, because I worry." he said "I worry, that our borders are not secure, and that our integrity is in peril."

"I am afraid I do not understand, my prince." Johann said.

Otto shook his head and spoke with an aggravated tone. "I worry, that Mecklenburg will declare war on us once more, and this time, they won't be so easily blinded by gold. I worry, that the Poles will attack and claim Neumark and Brandenburg as their own." he started to speak more loudly "I worry, that the Kaiser would rather see us decimated than provide aid!" he stood up and started pacing the room up and down. "And most of all, I worry that my loyal subjects, blinded by this victory will see us as untouchable, while our rivals to the North and East pick us apart!" he yelled at his advisor.

"My prince, but we have emerged unscathed from the last war with Mecklenburg. Surely they would not dare..." Johann protested.

"Oh, they will dare!" Otto interjected. "Our truce ends in three years and you and I both know that the Poles will support them in any conflict against us! And we cannot count on the Kaiser, either. He sees Altmark and Brandenburg as his own anyways, chances are he will support Mecklenburg instead!" the prince-elector took a few deep breaths before continuing. "Words of a coalition between Mecklenburg, Luneburg have reached my ears. Should such coalition form, my diplomats inform me that Poland and Bohemia would most likely support it. That is not a coalition we can defeat, not in our current state, Johann!"

The elector did not allow his advisor to reply, instead he continued his train of thought. "We need a strong ally. One that will defend us from any Polish or Bohemian incursions. An ally that will tell the world that Brandenburg is respected and well protected."

"If I may, sire." Johann spoke up. "Perhaps an alliance with Hungary is what we need."

"Hungary?" Otto asked bewildered.

"It is no secret that the Hungarians harbor no warm feelings towards Casimir or the Kaiser. An alliance with them would surely make Mecklenburg think twice before attempting any more foolish actions." Johann said. "It is rumored that king Louis' cousin has a daughter awaiting a potential suitor, perhaps a marriage to strenghten the ties followed by an alliance? Surely a statement you are looking for, my prince."

Otto considered this proposition. Truly, the Hungarians and the Poles were eternal rivals with neither willing to go into a direct armed conflict. With Louis I on his side, Casimir would think twice before providing any aid to Mecklenburg. This would secure the northern and eastern front for the time being and even though he did not like the idea of being dependent on Hungary for protection, his options were severely limited. Plus, marriage ties would sanctify their alliance, and he had the perfect suitor. His nephew just recieved a duchy from the elector, surely he would do this little thing for him.

"Johann, leave for Hungary today. Do anything you need to to secure the alliance, this is your number one priority."

"Understood my liege. And as for the king's relative? Do you have anyone in mind?"

"Oh, I have the perfect suitor in mind."

CTrHeen.jpg

Winter, 1373

With the Brandenburg-Hungary alliance sanctified by royal marriage, the prince-elector could sleep peacefully, knowing that his realm was secure for the time being. The rumored anti-Brandenburg coalition has proven to be true as Luneburg and Mecklenburg - Brandenburg's neighbors to the west - signed an agreement, promising each other aid in case of a direct conflict with Brandenburg.

Luck stood with the prince-elector though since Poland, occupied with wars against the Teutonic order did not see fit to join the pact, so the entire coalition was laughable. Yet, the mere idea of a coalition startled the prince-elector and served as a raised finger towards Otto, that any more attempts at overthrowing rulers would be met with swift and severe consequences. Worried, that Mecklenburg may manipulate other states in the empire he founded and funded a diplomatic corps unit, designated to help improve relations with direct neighbors and potential distatnt allies. Such focus on diplomatic policy slowly began to bear fruit, as talks from Luneburg called upon dissolving their pacts with Mecklenburg, much to the ire of the Mecklenburgian duke.

But not all was well in the duchy of Brandenburg, for it was combatting an unseen enemy. A disease known amongst the commoners as the Schwarzer Tod (Black Death) was currently laying waste upon the proud electorate. Men, women and children alike were dying in the streets, the morale amongst the populace was at an all time low. Some said that this was God's punishment for the prince-elector's action in Pomerania, some that it was the work of the devil, testing the people's faith in God. Whatever the case, people were dying by the thousands, and the electorate was battling with a lack of men to serve in the army, plow the fields or produce trade goods. To try and improve the situation, the prince-elector would frequently call upon his advisors to try and solve the plague that roamed the land.

n2c0zHt.jpg

b9hB2wo.jpg

It was during one of the meeting of the prince's diplomatic corps that Otto would change the direction of Brandenburg for the upcoming century.

"... and so the 1st army currently stands with only eleven thousand out of their potential thirteen thousand men. Manpower reserves are at an all time low after the war with Pomerania. It will take years before our army and our reserves recover to pre-war status." Ludwig, the duke's military advisor spoke. "Furthermore, to our south, the Kaiser seems to be mobilizing a large amount of troops, with Poland still investing most of its forces in the Teutonic Order..."

"Has the Kaiser mentioned anything about an invasion up north?" Otto asked Johann, effectively interrupting Ludwig.

"No mention of an attack, my prince. Our alliance with Hungary stands strong, the Kaiser would not dare launch an offensive incursion into our territory." Johann explained.

Otto grumbled inaudibly. Wouldn't dare, huh? Hardly. Relations with the emperor have been at an all time low since the war for Pomerania. The kingdom of Bohemia has ever since been securing alliances with Meissen and Mecklenburg, their direct neighbors. A coincidence? Surely not, but best not speak out loud what everyone thought, a panic amongst the military was the last thing he needed right now.

"Ludwig. We need to be able to rival Bohemia in strenght. I cannot - in good conscience - rest while there is a sleeping bear to our south, waiting for our moment of weakness. We need to rally more men." Otto told his military advisor.

Ludwig's eyes widened in shock. Surely his prince was delusional, perhaps from the lack of sleep. "My prince, the Kaiser has unconditional support from all the member states of the empire. There is no way we can rival his strenght. Even we ourselves are forced to send him men in return for our protection..."

Otto scoffed. "Protection?!" he almost yelled. "Where was he when the Poles stood on our doorstep? How can I, in good conscience, support an emperor that will not protect his fellow members. In fact, how in God's name could I support the man that wishes to bring harm upon my electorate?!"

That's when he had an epiphany. Of course, it was so simple, so obvious. If you cannot beat them, join them. Or better yet, become them.

He intertwined his fingers and leaned closer to his advisors. "I have decided." he proclaimed "I will become the next emperor."

vLqwkaZ.jpg

"An elector the emperor?! Unspeakable my liege! Such an ambition is unheard of!" Johann protested loudly. Too loudly.

"Has the Golden Bull prohibited the electors for voting for themselves?!" Otto asked angrily. "Has it, Johann?!"

"Well... no, but..." he answered uneasily.

"Then why should I be penalized for my divine right? Or is the sheer idea of Otto VII von Wittlesbach becoming the emperor so repulsive to you, Johann?!" Otto asked menacingly.

Johann knew he was cornered, but still decided to protest. "Milord, I would never! Your greatness is unmatched my prince. But the other prince-electors would never support our candidacy, and such action will surely bring the wrath of the emperor upon us." He said, this time with much more humility in his voice.

"I care not of what the Kaiser thinks of me. He is but an old man. An old man that will soon die, and I intend to replace him on that throne, Johann. Worry not about the electors. I will handle my brother, and seeing as you do not share my vision, I will appoint your assistant, Heinrich to convice Saxony that an empire under the rule of a German would be better protected than that under the rule of a Bohemian." he said angrily. "You are dismissed, Johann."

With that, Johann rushed out of the room, grateful that he was still able to hear the fast beating of his heart.

Yeah, not much happening here, sorry about that, but I wanted to make a story about how Otto decided to become the emperor rather than just throwing it out there. Boy, did Johann anger the prince-elector, wonder how long will he survive? And what will the emperor have to say about Otto's ambition? It's not pretty, I will tell you that. Brandenburg will soon find itself in another state of war, hopefully this time it will be more successful than the last time.

Thanks to all the reviewers for their kind words. I will try to show off as much of the mod as I can whilst keeping it roleplay-ish like.

Last edited:
With an AAR like this, you can have a lot of fun in times when not really very much happened - it frees the imagination up more. The above two scenes are very good, even if all they relate is the signing of an alliance, the formation of a coalition, and the selection of mission. Nevertheless it brings out more of Otto's character.

A good balance of narrative and gameplay elements, just how I like it. :)

I've got to admit that you took some liberties with Otto VII's character though, from what I've heard he wasn't nearly as ambitious as portrayed here. He actually relinquished the title and retired in Bavaria in exchange for financial compensation from the Kaiser, ending Wittelsbach rule in Brandenburg. :happy:

Not that I'm complaining, I really love AAR's where guys that actually didn't do much historically rise to glory. Keep it up.

A good balance of narrative and gameplay elements, just how I like it. :)

I've got to admit that you took some liberties with Otto VII's character though, from what I've heard he wasn't nearly as ambitious as portrayed here. He actually relinquished the title and retired in Bavaria in exchange for financial compensation from the Kaiser, ending Wittelsbach rule in Brandenburg. :happy:

Not that I'm complaining, I really love AAR's where guys that actually didn't do much historically rise to glory. Keep it up.

True. I did do some research on Otto, then decided to mold him into a character that is far more interesting to read and write about. Consider me a bard rather than a historian :).

After all, isn't EUIV about rewriting history rather than re-living it?

Perhaps a bit early to aspire to the purple, though Im not sure how nasty the enemies of the Empire is in this mod but Brandenburg seems a bit small to be the Imperial Policeman just yet...

Perhaps a bit early to aspire to the purple, though Im not sure how nasty the enemies of the Empire is in this mod but Brandenburg seems a bit small to be the Imperial Policeman just yet...

It's an ambition, that's all I can say. If Bohemia can do it, why not Brandenburg? Oh well, it's all in Otto's hands now, not mine.

Brandenburg to Prussia to Germany? I'm assuming you'll try to follow this linear evolution, at least, somewhat like it? Although by some of your comments, it seems you really like the write your history aspect of the game. Best of luck with this. I'm certainly eager to see what you can do with the most OP small nation at the start of the game! :p

Cheers!

Brandenburg to Prussia to Germany? I'm assuming you'll try to follow this linear evolution, at least, somewhat like it? Although by some of your comments, it seems you really like the write your history aspect of the game. Best of luck with this. I'm certainly eager to see what you can do with the most OP small nation at the start of the game! :p

Cheers!

Prussia? Not really. Poland is one of the strongest nations in the game, period. Any attempts to war them would end up disasterously for me, and when I reach that point when I am finally strong enough, forming Prussia will provide very little benefit to me.

I probably should have mentioned it earlier, but I am not doing a "conquer the world" or "blob out" game. No. The only reason for these wars is because Otto VII von Wittlesbach (not historically of course) has acquired the ambition to create a strong, respected and feared Brandenburg. What his heir intends to do with the electorate, is a completely different story that is yet to be written (imagine the "militarist, diplomat, colonialist, balanced" personalities the AI has with each new ruler of Brandenburg).

There will be intrigue, cities will burn and heads will roll, but I do not wish to create a nation the size and strength of France, Russia or the Ottomans. That is not the goal of this AAR.

Last edited:
A Taste of Things to Come

~A Taste of Things to Come~ (1373 - 1374)

Summer, 1373

"So you say the prince-elector will support our cause?" Otto asked.

He and his newest advisor, Heinrich von Taubeneck were currently walking on the castle walls, talking to each other. It was a warm summer day, and the view from Otto VII von Wittlesbach's castle was stunning. Golden fields of grain as far as the eye can see spoke the truth about the wealth and stability of the Brandenburg electorate. Accompanying Otto, was his newest and perhaps most favorite confidant - Heinrich. Originally a mere assistant, errand boy if you wish, for Johann Georg von Preußen - the prince elector's diplomatic aide - he was now on par with his former superior, perhaps even more.

Ever since Johann's outburst at February's conference he was starting to doubt his longest serving advisor and most experienced diplomat. The reality being, that not everyone shares his ambitions of a glorious North German electorate and that many of his noblemen are perfectly happy with the current status quo. Ambitionless cowards. Since then, he felt unsafe. Scared to voice his thoughts in public, worried that some may, in fact, be loyal to the emperor rather than him. Such worries, however, did little to destroy his ambitions of becoming the empire's highest authority.

After the conference, Otto made Heinrich his personal an aide-de-camp and the young diplomat was quickly beginning to gain favor in the prince's eyes. Unlike the others, Heinrich was more supportive of Otto's ambition, paying little to no detail to tradition and customs and viewed Otto as a visionary.

"Indeed. Prince Askanier feels the empire would be better off under German rule. He also expressed disgust at how the Kaiser did nothing to stop the Polish from walking on Berlin."

"And my brother Rupert?" The prince asked.

"He too would prefer a German to sit on the throne, however..."

"However what?" Otto asked angrily.

Heinrich grumbled before replying uneasily. "He thinks that a Brandenburg emperor would be too weak to assure stability and protection." he said before continuing. "But should the election come between you and the Bohemian king, he pledged his full support." they stood in silence before Heinrich spoke again. "My prince, I believe your brother is right."

fSlPwtq.jpg

Otto could not believe his ears. "What?!"

The aide gulped audibly and spoke quickly. "Milord. While there is no doubt of the greatness of Brandenburg and no challenger to the might of its armies, we have recently been to war. Many princes still view your intervention in Pomerania as violation of divine right, and with the pestillence stalking our lands, it might be years before our armies reach their full potential." the diplomat let out a deep sigh "Such an emperor would wield no authority amongst the princes, my liege."

Damn it. Otto knew he could not be angry with Heinrich. Sugar-coating the issues would not help and he knew Heinrich was, in a way, right. What the prince needed was a way to demonstrate his power - flex his muscles so to speak. Not for a cause but for show, a show that would prove to the princes that Brandenburg, while weak in number can and will defend the empire should the need arise. He knew he could not count on his nephew, Pomerania after such a destructive war was still in shambles and with the pestillence stalking the entirety of northern Europe, it would be years before they would be able to provide any significant help.

"And the Kaiser?" Otto inquired.

"None the wiser, milord." His aide informed Otto. "But I fear he may find out in the near future, and his reaction may be drastic. Hopefully, the plague strikes him down soon. It is true that death knows no rank."

"Be warry of saying such words, Heinrich. Many would consider them treason."

With that final sentence, the two men said their goodbyes and went their separate ways.

Spring, 1374

1374 came around and the electorate was in a state of tranquility. While the plague continued to stalk the land, most of the armies have managed to refill their ranks with new, eager recruits and while the army was but a dwarf in comparison to the Kaiser, it was a force best not to underestimate. If you included the slowly rebuilding army of the duke of Pomerania, the Brandenburg-Pomeranian alliance - fielding approximately 17,000 men - was one of the strongest powers in the North German region, right behind the Kaiser himself and the Polish monster.

LOhFiws.jpg

The Brandenburg (green) - Pomerania (light blue) pact and its allies (1373); Brunswick, Anhalt, Saxony (blue: left to right) and contested territory (striped green).

However, this was not the time for prince Otto VII to rest, for a new political plan was starting to form inside his head. He needed a way to convince the princes of the empire, that Brandenburg can and will fight for the empire. To do that, he had to find a way to project strength and he had to find a way fast. Emperor Charles was old and soon would succumb to disease or old age or both. Much to the prince-elector's ire, his brother - following the prince's own example - Rupert I of The Palatinate decided to support his own candidacy, after managing to sway Mainz into backing him for the most prominent office.

In its current state, the electoral college was a ginormous unknown. Worried that any of the other electors would support his brother at his own expense, he sat in his castle, surrounded by his noble council. Otto VII von Wittlesbach would not resort to relaying on chance.

"Any news from my brother?"

"As things stand right now, my liege." Heinrich began. "Rupert I will support himself in the election. He feels that with the help of the archbishop of Mainz he has a good chance of being elected emperor. He even claims it to be God's will and asks for your support in the upcoming election."

YWKv1wl.jpg

Ungrateful bastard. He promises his vote and now he thinks that he should be the emperor? Whatever happened to honor amongst men. No, this must be avoided, Rupert mustn't be elected emperor. Hell would freeze over twice before he would kneel down before his brother. Otto had the strongest of urges to tell Rupert what he thought of supporting him, but his brother was an elector after all and he needed to tread lightly.

"Heinrich. What do you suggest?"

"It is obvious that as long as the archbishop of Mainz supports your brother, Rupert will back his own candidacy. We could try to worsen the relations between Mainz and Rupert, but should the prince-elector find out, we would lose his support, thus getting us back to square one."

"I am not hearing a solution, Heinrich." Otto demanded impatiently.

"Ah, my apologies. As I was saying my prince. Breaking up Mainz and The Palatinate would be futile at best, but perhaps convincing the archbishop that you are a much better candidate would serve our purpose just as well. Once Rupert realizes that he no longer has the archbishop's support he will have no chance but to back your candidacy."

Otto smiled. A solid plan but would it be possible?

"Do you think we can convince the archbishop in time, Heinrich?"

"It is my hope that Charles will live for long enough to secure the archbishop's vote, my liege. I believe an alliance with Mainz would, along with my testimony of your noble rule be enough to secure your position as emperor." Heinrich explained.

"You shall leave for Mainz tonight, mein freund. Any news from Bohemia?" he asked as he turned to his second advisor.

Johann, who up to this point sat in the corner of the room in silence stood up and spoke up. "Unfortunately, my lord..." he began "... the Kaiser has learned of your prince's ambition and is very upset. He has warned us that should your lordship pursue your current ambition, he would no longer consider the great electorate of Brandenburg his friend but his enemy, and would personally lead troops in glorious conquest to remind us of our position."

Johann let Otto think about this statemet before he continued. "But his majesty, Charles I proclaimed - that should you support his son in the upcoming election instead, the Kingdom of Bohemia would promise protection against the Polish threat and ensure our integrity from any other princes. A wise offer, if I may speak so myself."

T3usVpB.jpg

"Scheize" Otto swore. "How could the emperor possibly have learned of our plans?!"

"I have no idea, my liege." Johann lied. "It is quite unfortunate, indeed."

"No matter. It was but a question of time before the emperor found out of our plans - Yes, 'tis truly unfortunate that he found out so soon, but no matter." Otto proclaimed. "If that is all, you are dismissed."

Autumn came around and Heinrich's dilligent work over in Mainz has started to bear fruit. The archbishop of Mainz - recognizing Otto VII as the most valiant of princes - promised the would-be emperor his vote in the election after Charles I passes away. Otto's brother - Rupert I - after hearing that the archbishop would no longer support his candidacy in favor of another prince decided to return to supporting his brother Otto, none the wiser that it was his very own brother that cost him Mainz' support.

And so as we begin to enter December of 1374, and with 4 guaranteed votes, Otto von Wittlesbach may rest soundly, knowing it is but a matter of time before he is officially crowned Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire.

uFuKgZf.jpg

God, the development is so slow and I am sooo soooooooorry for that! I planned to include a war in this update but I just could not put it there without mentioning the developments in the empire, with all the frustrating electors changing their mind as often as they change their undergarments. Very frustrating, but fun to write about.

More intrigue to follow. It seems Johann has a hidden agenda. The emperor sure got wind of Otto's intention fast - something rotten is in the state of Brandenburg. Next update: Otto goes to war. Will this be the war he needs to prove Brandenburgian supremacy? Can Charles I gather enough support for his son or will the crown leave Bohemian hands?

Find out next time.

Last edited:
Politics causing your hair to turn grey? Not the first, and certainly not the last ;)

Otherwise another nice well-written update, nicely focused on said politicking.

War for Oldenburg

~War for Oldenburg~ (1374 - 1376)

Spring, 1375

New Year's came around and for Otto VII von Wittlesbach, the waiting game began. He was confident that with the support from the archbishop of Mainz and his brother Rupert I he would surely be elected as the new Kaiser. All that remained was waiting for Kaiser Charles I to die. The Bohemian king attempted to force the prince-elector into submission by empty threats, promising that if he continued to break custom and tradition the princes of Brandenburg would no-longer hold the power of an elector. Empty threats, that's all. At least Otto hoped.

The old king tried to rally support for his son, but it would seem that none of the electors felt confident supporting a 5 year old for the most noble of positions. In other news, war was about to break to the west of Brandenburg's borders. One of Otto's allies, Brunswick, began to lay claims to the county of Oldenburg more and more violently in the past couple months, claiming that said county is de-facto a de-jure part of the duchy of Brunswick, therefore under the rule of the duke of Brunswick.

"It would seem trouble is brewing in the West, my prince." Heinrich informed Otto.

"So I've heard Heinrich. What news do you bring from the court of the duke?" the prince-elector asked.

"The duke wishes to express his sincere support for you as the next Kaiser and asks for our swords in arms, should they and Oldenburg find themselves in a state of war, my prince."

"So, war is but a matter of time, isn't it?"

"Indeed, my liege. The count of Oldenburg has not shown any willingness to surrender his sovereignity to the duke of Brunswick." Heinrich explained.

Otto rubbed his chin and looked at Johann, who was sitting across Heinrich. "You are my advisor, Johann. Advise me. Should we go to arms with Oldenburg?"

Johann cleared his throat and spoke in the most professional and respectful tone he was capable of producing. "My liege." he began "You should not forget that duke Magnus von Welf was one of those who spoke against your intervention in Pomerania. He has also recently forged alliances with the duke of Mecklenburg, our sworn enemy - that is borderline betrayal, my prince! With our truce with the Polish kingdom ending this November, war is not something we are in need of!"

"Or perhaps it is exactly what we need." Heinrich interrupted.

"Explain, Heinrich." Otto asked.

"Think about it, my liege. Refusing a call to arms would project weakness, especially a call from an ally who has helped us in the past. Accepting the call, however, will send a strong message to the princes that Otto von Wittlesbach is willing to honor his agreements even if it means fighting by the side of his sworn enemy. What better candidate for emperorship than that who can set aside rivalry and petty differences for the greater good, my lord?"

Heinrich was right. This was the opportunity he was waiting for - a perfect way to show everyone in Europe that when it comes to loyalty and righteousness, Otto VII von Wittlesbach stands above rivalry or feud. "I agree, Heinrich." he said, much to the horror of Johann. "Inform the duke that my armies will follow him into battle. This will surely assure my righteous place as Kaiser."

"I take it, your highness, you have yet to abandon your futile ambition?" Johann asked uneasily.

Otto frowned at Johann's statement. "My ambition is unmatched Johann. I want you to inform Ludwig that Brandenburg will be going to war and I need him to prepare the Elbe Armee for combat. Godspeed you two."

The advisors respectfully bowed and left the room.

Winter, 1375

Ludwig sat in his command tent just outside Berlin. The letter from the prince came last month, it dictated that Ludwig readies the Elbe Armee ready for combat and that he does so as soon as possible. Ever since then, men were being recalled from their home villages and towns, leaving a vacancy in the countryside's workforce, that was already significant because of the plague, would surely cost the electorate greatly. With the lack of farmers to aid during the harvest, next year's grain supplies would probably dip lower than the Stewards of the realm expected.

It truly was the least opportune time for war. With the Poles having finished their conquest in the Teutonic Order, they were free to focus on expanding their western front and he seriously doubted the Kaiser would be able to stop them. Or willing to. But he was no politician, he was a soldier. Five hundred years from now, an English lord would explain his position perfectly.

Ours is not to reason why, ours but to do and die.1

He was taken out from his trance by a young man in an officer's uniform entering his tent.

"Captain Cisielski, reporting for duty, sir." he saluted.

"At ease, Captain." Ludwig replied. "I requested the presence of General Selasinky. I presume you are here to inform me he is on his way from Frankfurt?" he inquired.

"Sir, General Selasinky has succumbed to the plague, sir! I was informed by his spouse that he passed away last week." the soldier informed Ludwig.

81JtwGt.jpg

"Understood, Captain." Ludwig replied. This piece of information came uneasily. Selasinky was a war veteran, hardened in battle against the Pomeranians and well respected amongst his fellow officers. Word of his passing would not boost the morale of his soldiers, but hard pressed for time, he had no time to seek a new general. "Captain Cisielski." he began "It will take time before a replacement general is appointed. With war brewing upon us, I leave you in charge of the Elbe Armee." at this statement, the captain's eyes widened "Should the need arise, you will lead the men against the armies of Oldenburg. I must leave for Berlin to inform the prince of this new development and seek a new commander for the army. Godspeed, son. Dismissed."

Spring, 1375

In a mere few days, Brunswick declared war on Oldenburg. Both Mecklenburg and Brandenburg entered the war on the side of their ally, while The Hansa sought to protect its trade interests in Oldenburg and entered the war on the defending side.

WJrElWU.jpg

Isolated, the armies of Brunswick quickly found themselves overcome by the combined might of the armies of the archbishop of Munster, the count of Oldenburg and the prince of Bremen, and with a force of fifteen thousand Hanseatic soldiers marching on Mecklenburg's capital it was clear that without swift intervention from Brandenburg, the war would fail. So with a heavy heart, the prince-elector ordered Captain-turned-Brigadier-General Albrecht Friedrich Cisielski to march the Elbe Armee on Rostock, to defend the armies of Mecklenburg from an oncoming Hanseatic assault.

On the 7th of April 1375, the defending 22,000 men standing combined army of Mecklenburg, Brandenburg and Pomerania would meet 15,000 Hanseatic soldiers on the battlefield just outside the city of Rostock. Despite the defender's numerical advantage, the Hanseatic general would demonstrate great prowess and ingenuity against a superior opponent, and while General Albrecht Friedrich Cisielski would be the one to proclaim victory this day - it would come at a great price. At the end of the day each side would leave 4,000 men laying dead on the battlefield, with half of those losses belonging to the army of Brandenburg.

d9OaH5u.jpg

Empowered and encouraged by this victory, Brigadier General Cisielski would order his army to march immediately on Lübeck, eager to crush the Hanseatic army before it had a chance to be reinforced from the west. Such bold move would be rewarded greatly, and on the 14th of April, the Hanseatic army would find itself surrounded ten miles outside the port-city of Lübeck. Tired and de-moralized from their previous defeat, general Schmidt ordered his men to lay down their arms and surrender unconditionally to Cisielski. The entire army was dispersed and routed, meaning Cisielski could claim victory without having to fire a single shot.

9xS8Qz1.jpg

Ever since the victorious battle of Rostock and the follow up crushing victory in Lübeck, the tides of war saw change. The army of the archbishop was still positioned south in Hannover and seemed unlikely to reinforce the campaign up north. Seeing his chance to cripple the alliance, Cisielski ordered the Elbe Armee to march on the republic of Bremen. Outnumbered and cornered, the prince of Bremen saw no choice but to surrender to the armies of General Cisielski and end his participation in the war. On the 25th of April, Cisielski would once more claim victory without having to fire a single shot.

HIxLHat.jpg

After having suffered heavy losses to the Brandenburgian armies in the north, the Hanseatic syndic convinced the archbishop of Münster to provide aid in liberating Hamburg from Pomeranian siege. On the 2nd of May, a Pomeranian scout would enter the tent of Brigadier-General Cisielski to inform him of 16,000 men led by General Luchte marching on the Hansa's coastal harbor.

"How many?" Albrecht asked the messenger.

"Sixteen regiments reported sir, all at full strength. General Baumann requests your aid in defending the siege. Otherwise he will be forced to break the siege and retreat to Rostock." the scout answered.

"Inform your general that Brandenburg will assist our brothers in Pomerania. We will leave for Hamburg on the morrow."

It was as Cisielski promised. The archbishop's armies, encouraged by their quick victories against the armies of Brunswick crossed the river Elbe to engage the defending armies of Brandenburg and Pomerania. While the armies of Brandenburg were fewer in number, the morale boost acquired from recent victories that saw the Hansa and Bremen utterly defeated without any losses on the electorate's side were sure to carry the day.

"They are approaching, General." one of Cisielski's officers informed him.

"Good. Order the pikes to charge as soon as they cross the river. Our knights on the side will wrap around their ranks and encircle them. Fear not, Friedrich, we will emerge victorious today." Albrecht commanded his captain.

"I have no doubt that you will carry us to victory, mein General. It is just that the offender outnumbers us."

"Numbers do not win wars, mein freund, soldiers do."

abZ7rbB.jpg

Autumn, 1375

General Cisielski emerged victorious from the battle, but his losses were significant. While the Pomeranian soldiers were mostly used as reservists, his own troops were tasked with holding the ranks while the knights made their flanking maneuvers. The mighty Elbe Armee, once formed of 9,000 pikes and 4,000 knights was but a shell of its once great strenght. As things stood, roughly 5000 pikes and 3000 knights were currently marching on Oldenburg to put an end to this war.

Convinced that the enemy would not expect a rapid counter attack, Cisielski was currently rushing his forces across Wesser to meet the retreating combined might of Oldenburg and Münster before they reorganize and attempt another assault on Hamburg.

But Cisielski was no fool. He knew that his army was not at full strength, and despite its soldiers recent victories, attacking a force of 11,000 with a force of 8,000 on their terms would be equal to suicide. He sent scouts ahead to inform him once the enemy makes camp, while keeping his own force within an hour's distance from the retreating force.

Once word had reached Cisielski that the enemy has decided to make camp in a forest close to the city of Oldenburg, under the cover of night Cisielski ordered a small force of 600 men to disrobe themselves of their armor and inflitrate the forest where the enemy laid camp. While the enemy, tired from the march and camp construction, rested the night, Cisielski's men attacked the camp and set it on fire.

Cisielski, along with his kinghts hiding out of plain sight behind a hill, upon seeing the smoke from the fire, ordered his knights and pikemen to storm the camp, killing the confused and tired soldiers. Those that did not burn to death were impaled on the pikes and lances of proud Brandenburgians.

oVdik1N.jpg

This battle, which would later be dubbed The Massacre of Oldenburg, was proof of not only Cisielski's military genius and Brandenburg's military strength. With the defending side's armies massacred, the city of Oldenburg and archbishopric of Münster were left defenseless. This prompted the count of Oldenburg who, under great duress from the archbishop of Münster who did not want his cities razed and countryside looted, on the 1st of September - just 5 days after the Massacre of Oldenburg - signed the peace deal, recognizing the county of Oldenburg as part of the duchy of Brunswick, thus giving up his sovereignity as prince and pledging allegiance to duke Magnus von Welf of Brunswick.

For Otto VII von Wittlesbach, the war had proven that Brandenburg would make a reliable emperor. As predicted, honoring an uneasy alliance made the elector look more favorably in the eyes of the princes, and while not all of them viewed Otto as Kaiser material, he had enough support to defend against any sudden rebellion or coup that might arise once he comes to power as the empire's highest authority. The tales of Brandenburg's victories on the field of battle spread long and far, like wildfire, and soon Brandenburgian military prowess was a topic discussed even in the cities of Iberia and France. This reputation would serve as a deterrent against any would-be conquerors that would dare challenge the ambitious von Wittlesbach for many years to come.

For Albrecht Friedrich Cisielski, the war helped him secure his position as the nation's, perhaps even the empire's greatest military commander. Upon returning to Berlin, he was greeted by the people as a hero of the people, being the offspring of an Anhaltian baron and a Brandenburgian commoner. The prince-elector has expressed his eternal gratitude and promoted him to General proper, rewarding him with a gift of 35 golden and 80 silver coin, even going as far as offering him his youngest niece's hand in marriage - which the general politely refused.

As the electorate entered the second half of 1370s, change was in the air. Only God knows what he has in plan for prince-elector Otto VII von Wittlesbach and the proud nation of Brandenburg.

ESSAz9F.jpg

The duchy of Brunswick (brown); 1376

Okay, so the war is over. Selasinky is dead, not that he amounted to much, anyways, and Cisielski is the latest strategical prodigy. Who knew the kid had it in him? 1/3/4 - pretty solid for such an early roll. I had no bonus fire or shock modifiers and my military tradition was around 50,0 so... go figure :p

Next up: Trouble in house von Wittlesbach, Otto has an epiphany and the Kaiser pulls a d*ck move. Stay tuned for more.

1. Charge of the Light Brigade

Last edited:
This keeps getting better and better!

Excellent update. Johann gets more and more of an irritant. Either he is a traitor, or one of the most loyal advisors ever if he keeps implementing policy he disagrees with.