Post-WW2 era? Come on, just suggest stuff as if Paradox is considering this

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SerFishy

First Lieutenant
44 Badges
Nov 30, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Yes, I know, post WW2 era is not so much fun etc. especially with wars or... is it? Maybe the western hemisphere can be in a relative status-quo military-wise but this is not the case for Africa or Asia. There is currently middle east, there was Africa and arguably still is and then you get Pakistan... You get the idea.

If Paradox may consider this, I would suggest to make the map much larger and the time flow slower, maybe like in HOI. I would also suggest to make diplomacy more complex by maybe adding small factions like intelligence agencies, rebel and terrorist groups or even companies and religious communities as playable.

East vs West was the best idea I saw so far for post ww2 games, and that was scrapped.

Maybe they can revive West vs East, but instead of doing it as a Hearts of Iron game, they could make it its own franchise, a fifth Clausitz Engine game (sixth if you count Rome) alongside Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron, and Victoria.

Maybe they can revive West vs East, but instead of doing it as a Hearts of Iron game, they could make it its own franchise, a fifth Clausitz Engine game (sixth if you count Rome) alongside Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron, and Victoria.

i'd love to see that. you'd have to convince paradox interactive first though.

Let the war declaration be as free as in HoI, but implement the EU IV style coalitions and crank them up a notch. Soon you will see coalition of the West and a coalition of the East - East vs West.

It should focus on diplomacy. Really flesh out the rebel/faction mechanic so that there is just not a cookie cutter "Rebel" factions, but "Liberator partisans", "Communist Usurpers", "Democratic usurpers", "Somalian Warlords", etc. Make it possible to fund them. That game should not be about coloring the map with one color, but to spread your dynasty - so-to-say. But instead of dynasty we would have parties. The more provinces the party ideology encompasses the more prestige you get. Essentially a puppet master game.

I think that Vicky should be the base. Cold war could work if a nation that is way more powerful, could also sphere greater powers (who still would have their own SOI). Then SU and USA would take those place as "Superpowers", and have their own mega SOI. We need a way better diplomacy though.

I never thought much of EvW being based on HoI instead of Victoria. So if Paradox do a cold war game, A) I doubt it'll be any time soon, and B) I highly doubt they'll take EvW instead of just building their own.

I never thought much of EvW being based on HoI instead of Victoria. So if Paradox do a cold war game, A) I doubt it'll be any time soon, and B) I highly doubt they'll take EvW instead of just building their own.

if anything, you could consider east vs west as the proof-of-concept-prototype. we know the system works, we have all the materials, and best of all, we have a precedent to learn from.

I think that Vicky should be the base. Cold war could work if a nation that is way more powerful, could also sphere greater powers (who still would have their own SOI). Then SU and USA would take those place as "Superpowers", and have their own mega SOI. We need a way better diplomacy though.

but the problem there is that the cold war would zip by in a few minutes. using the grueling hour-by-hour method (or even better, bi-hourly or tri-hourly), you get the most out of the game. the day by day games work like that because centuries could pass without anything more major than a big war between countries that were fundamentally the same damn thing. during the cold war and even seen now with things like the US spying on absolutely everyone, ISIS in Iraq, Russia vs Ukraine/world, China's newfound aggressive expansion, there's always something happening. stuff which can only really be experienced with a near-tactical level (the hour by hour system), which is as close to tactical as strategy can get. and the international interconnectivity of post-1945 is a whole different problem on its own. a problem (understandably) only ever addressed in EvW.

Last edited:
but the problem there is that the cold war would zip by in a few minutes. using the grueling hour-by-hour method (or even better, bi-hourly or tri-hourly), you get the most out of the game. the day by day games work like that because centuries could pass without anything more major than a big war between countries that were fundamentally the same damn thing. during the cold war and even seen now with things like the US spying on absolutely everyone, ISIS in Iraq, Russia vs Ukraine/world, China's newfound aggressive expansion, there's always something happening. stuff which can only really be experienced with a near-tactical level (the hour by hour system), which is as close to tactical as strategy can get. and the international interconnectivity of post-1945 is a whole different problem on its own. a problem (understandably) only ever addressed in EvW.

But with a hour by hour system you essentially couldn´t play minor countries. Just imagine having a game as, let´s say Argentinia. You´d wait ages for something to happen. Ofcourse wars need the hour by hour system with the current mechanics. But i think it´d be better to simply change the system so wars would work in a day by day system (or maybe 12h per turn). Otherwise you could only really have a game as on of the major countries.

But with a hour by hour system you essentially couldn´t play minor countries. Just imagine having a game as, let´s say Argentinia. You´d wait ages for something to happen. Ofcourse wars need the hour by hour system with the current mechanics. But i think it´d be better to simply change the system so wars would work in a day by day system (or maybe 12h per turn). Otherwise you could only really have a game as on of the major countries.

well that's not so much a problem with the game design as it is with the economic capacity of the minor countries itself, though having an actual economic system does help.

I will admit that a big flaw with the HBH system is the "waiting ages" part. that's always been a bit annoying with HOI 3s limited range of real actions, though the occasional flavor events alleviated the problem a bit. not enough though.

what do you mean with the "wars would work in a day by day system"?

Paradox is probably not going to do a Cold War game now that they have just canceled one.
And they have said they are not going to do a modern day game, for obvious reasons.

If a game in this era were to be made I'd love a model which accurately represents popular uprisings and civil wars. Rather than just having a few rebel units you can easily crush unless tied up elsewhere, there should be certain conditions where rebellions can take years to quell, if at all. Examples being Vietnam, Algeria and Syria, to name a few. These certain conditions would have to be heavily linked to government type and economy - democracies would feature large degrees of civil unrest during economic downturns but rarely a military insurrection, while oppressive regimes can keep order during times of economic growth but experience rebellions during slumps. And, of course, Marxist rebellions would need to be included as well.

It should mostly consist of internal politics. The EU could work like the HRE but much more complicated, maybe you could even play as political parties and fight for control of the country. Also trade unions and treaties would be a big deal along with pops and immigration. And wars would still happen. Just take any political conflict anywhere (Such as Ukraine) and either free Crimea from an evil EU puppet nazi regime or defend the Ukrainian people from an invading Russian imperialist force trying to get you to release your Donetsk cores. And I don't understand the "modern conflicts cause issues" just have the conflict be from the perspective of whatever faction you're playing as. Play as PRC? Get a mission to "reunify rebel-held island province" Play as Taiwain? Get mission to "Resist mainland conquest and aggression" or "Retake the mainland from rebels!" for the crazy "I conquer the world as Ryukyu" type players.

Why not do a Korean War era HOI?
1948-1955 time frame.

Would be a great practice run for an eventual full blown cold war era game... if paradox would ever be so smart to do one.

It shouldn't be based on HoI. Cold War needs the internal dynamics from Vicky.

It shouldn't be based on HoI. Cold War needs the internal dynamics from Vicky.

Agree... but this would be a good experience trial run. Where they could adapt what works and hammer out what does not. It would suck if in typical style game developers bites off more than they can chew and delivers a sub-par game. At least if they ease into it they can make the end-goal type game better...

But then again... this is paradox we are talking about.

If they ever did/do make a cold war Era game... they should focus only on 4-5 major start dates:

1950ish-Korean War, French Indochina War in full swing, all Primary actors are set (China, India, Eastern Bloc, Both Germanys, USA, USSR), the Malayan Emergency, etc etc etc

1956ish- A lot happened here: Suez Crisis, Hungarian revolution, Both Military alliances are now set (Warsaw Pact and NATO), Algerian War was in full swing, Castro lands in Cuba, etc etc etc

1961ish- The Kennedy era: Berlin Crisis, Vietnam War beginnings, Cuban Missile crisis and lead up, beginning of the colonial wars (Portuguese Colonial Wars, end of Algerian War), Beginnings of Sino-Soviet Split, Sino-Indian war

1968- Vietnam war in Full swing, Tet Offensive, Prague Spring, Invasion of Czechoslovakia, Sino-Soviet split in full swing, unrest in the USA, start of Detente soon (assuming player survives), etc etc etc

1979ish- Afghanistan invasion, Iran Revolution, Iran-Iraq war, Vietnam invasion of Cambodia, Sino-Vietnam war, End of detente, etc etc

If they focus on a game in the post Cold War era they should have these start dates:

1992-End of Cold war... start of new world
1997-1998-Russian ruble Crisis and Asian financial crisis
2001- Great American Recession then Sept 11th and its fallout/aftermath
2008-GFC