• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cliges

Corporeal
49 Badges
Jun 9, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
The Resistance Part 24
Another installment of The Resistance!
Players and Roles

This is a game for 5 to 10 players. Normally, the players handle the organisation of the game themselves, but for a number of reasons this is not possible on a forum. Therefore, the game will be held under the auspices of a GM.

The players will be given a Role through PM, either Spy or Resistance. The Spies will be informed of the identities of the other Spies. Distribution of the Roles depends on the number of players:

Players5678910
Resistance344566
Spies223334

The GM will also determine the order in which players will become Leader and assign the first Leader in a public post.

Game Play
The game consists of between three and five Rounds; each Round is comprised of a Team Building phase and a Mission phase.

Build the Team

The Team Building phase consists of the Leader picking the players that he would like on the Mission Team followed by all the players Voting to Approve or Reject the Mission Team.

For each Mission, the Leader chooses a predetermined amount of players, possibly including himself, according to the following table:

Players5678910
1st Mission Team222333
2nd Mission Team333444
3rd Mission Team243444
4th Mission Team334555
5th Mission Team344555

Once the Leader posts his proposal in public, all players must vote to either APPROVE or REJECT. the proposed Team in public. Players may vote in secret by PM, though, if they prefer. The stated intentions do not have to agree with the vote sent to the GM, but the latter is the one that counts if there is a discrepancy. Again, players have the option to vote by PM, but they ought to also state something about their intentions regarding the current vote in the the thread.

The Mission Team is approved if the majority of Votes approved and fails if a majority rejected the assignments; a tied vote is also a rejection. If the Mission Team is approved, play continues in the Mission phase. If the Mission Team is rejected, the Leader passes to the next player in line and the Team Building phase is repeated.

Every player gets to have their vote count double one time per game.

In order to enable this ability, you must say so in a PM to the GM. Players can say whatever they want in regard to using or not using their double-vote the game thread, but whether or not this ability is used will be based upon what they say to the GM privately.

The Spies win the game if five Mission Teams are rejected in a single Round.

Conduct the Mission

Each player on the Mission Team must Vote to either SUPPORT or SABOTAGE the Mission through PM to the GM. Resistance players must SUPPORT the Mission, Spies have the choice between SUPPORT and SABOTAGE.

The Mission is successful only if every player on the Team supports it; if one or more sabotages occur, the Mission fails. Note that with games of 7 players or more, the 4th Mission requires at least two sabotages to fail.

The GM announces the result of the Mission shortly after the deadline in an update without revealing who did what. However, the number of SABOTAGE orders, if any, will be noted. The Leader passes to the next in line and the next Round starts.

Example of a Round

Round Begins:

1. The new leader distributes cards, if there are any. Only the first leader per round receives cards to distribute. *See Special Note on Card below for more information about cards.

2. The leader proposes a team.
3. Players vote on whether to APPROVE or REJECT the team proposed by the leader.
4. Members of the proposed team pre-load their SUPPORT or SABOTAGE orders to the GM via PM.
5. At deadline the team will be either approved or rejected. A tie is considered a rejected team.

6. If the team was APPROVED, GM will state in the update whether or not the mission was SUCCESSFUL or FAILED based on the team members' pre-loaded orders. A new round begins with a new leader who has new cards to distribute and proposes another team.

7. If the team is REJECTED, the game stays in the Team Building phase. The next leader in line then proposes a team. The cycle repeats until a team is APPROVED. Once a mission is completed, whether SUCCESSFUL or FAILED, a new round starts.

Victory

The cycle of Team building and Mission continues until one side scores 3 missions: the Resistance must have 3 successful missions while the Spies want 3 failed missions. Remember that the Spies also win if they can have 5 Teams rejected in the same Round.

General Information on Voting and Mission Orders

Each player must Vote in during Team Building phase.

Each player on the Mission must Vote by PM to the GM in the Mission phase.

If a team is not approved, nothing regarding the mission orders for that team will be revealed.

Formalities

All communication between players must occur in the public thread. PMs between players are NOT allowed, neither are phone calls, talking in another thread, letting things slip while having a drink, etc. No private conversations about this game, period.

Each player is solely responsible for clearly communicating to the GM and the other players. This is especially crucial for the Leader. He has a number of statements to make in public, like who gets what Plot Card and his Mission Team proposals. Both of these may be discussed in public beforehand, however, at some point a clear and final statement must be made.

Last edited:
In

In, but I'm pretty sure it's 25, unless you want to ignore my game, then it's 24.

In, but I'm pretty sure it's 25, unless you want to ignore my game, then it's 24.

Your game was game 23. Look at the list in the general discussion thread if you're still unsure.

Also, Arabic numerals are better than Roman numerals, etc, etc.

The only thing I'd like to say is that 3 cards per round is too much. I would like our GM to seriously consider using the trimmed down set of 10 cards that was used in some recent games.

The only thing I'd like to say is that 3 cards per round is too much. I would like our GM to seriously consider using the trimmed down set of 10 cards that was used in some recent games.

I can do that. The rules as they are were put up as a bit of a placeholder so that there would be a game.

Your game was game 23. Look at the list in the general discussion thread if you're still unsure.

Also, Arabic numerals are better than Roman numerals, etc, etc.

In.

You've mis-numbered the game, in case you hadn't noticed.

I'll see if I can have that corrected.

Many thanks to jacoblundgren for fixing the numbering.

Is it going to be 5 or should we wait for a few more?

@Falc, I'm not looking to innovate regarding the rules, what do you suggest about the plot cards? Or anyone who has an idea about it. Yes, lazy GMing, but I'm only looking to manage things this game, not make any big changes or experiment. But I'll hear any suggestions.

5 players could be interesting.

Like I said last game, having 2 spies who need to make 3 sabotages is tricky. On the other hand, there's 3 missions that need 3 players, ie. perfect proposals.

I think this might be a quite delicate balance. Playstyle would need to be adapted a bit, but I would be very wary of the cards which could easily ruin the game for one side or the other by showing up at the wrong time.

So I would propose that we either have no cards, or an even smaller set of 5 that do not contain any role revelations.

Well, at the moment, we have six by my count anyway. That's still only two spies, so I agree on minimizing or eliminating role-revealing cards unless we get more.

I would prefer a slightly larger game, though. Didn't marty really want a non-Avalon game?

We can start today.

What does everyone think of a game without plot cards?

Ok, it looks like there won't be more players that this, but I'll assign roles at some point before I go to sleep tonight, so there are at least 3 or 4 hours remaining before that if anyone else wants to join.

We'll go with Falc's idea of no plot cards, but everyone gets a onetime use double vote.

I would be up for Falc's idea.

Roles going out soon.

There are no plot cards

Every player gets to have their vote count double one time per game.

In order to enable this ability, you must say so in a PM to the GM. Players can say whatever they want in regard to using or not using their double-vote the game thread, but whether or not this ability is used will be based upon what they say to the GM privately.

Spies will know the identity of other Spies.

Disregard anything about Plot Cards that linger in the rules; again, there are none this time around.