• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tyman323

Nationstaes liaison
10 Badges
Jul 8, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
waving_USA_flag_zps0b54090a.jpg

The Massey Legacy-An Alternative History USA AAR.
Hello! I want to start this off by saying that this is not only my first AAR, but first time writing anything like this, so mistakes are going to be made. Also I should mention the actual thing that will be found in this AAR.
1. I am using the Grand Campaign mod, which spans from 1914-1991 (if I can remember) but I am unsure if I will go that far, depends on the popularity of the AAR, although I will try to get to at least 1947.
2.Why is it called the Massey Legacy you ask, well, that's for you to discover.
3.While I tried to make the prologue somewhat plausible, but it maybe ASB (in your opinion), and it does include a fictional Vice President.
4.Basic Rules, although one thing i like to stress only constructive criticism is allow, my grammar and spelling really suck, so bear with me.

Chapters:
Prologue Part 1: History.
Prologue Part 2: White House Situation Report, June, 27th 1914.
I: War to end Wars (1914-1919)
Chapter one: The The Summer of Death. (Coming Soon)

Last edited:
Prologue:

The United States has always been the showcase of Democracy, a place where the founding fathers created a nation that they hoped would stand the test of time. Faced with the challenges of foreign powers, a civil war in the mid-nineteenth century, and the growing powers of Imperialism and Progressiveness, the United States was able to survive the initial stages of its existence, and it would become the symbol for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. where our story begins however, it was faced with even bigger threats, ones which would cause her to break long traditions, such as tight conservatism and its long history of Isolation, all would have to be broken if she was to make her mark on the world.

War_of_1812_Battle_of_Queenston_Heights_zps10816a74.jpg

Painting of the Battle of Queenston Heights, from the American Invasion of Canada in 1812.

It would be the tensions with the United Kingdom that would shape the foreign policy of the United States for the century. While the war of 1812 was the last official war between the UK and US, the tensions would at a constant high as the years went on. From the border disputes on the border with Canada in Washington and Oregon, the infamous Trent affair, and the Irish Uprising in Canada in 1866 where only the stepping stones to what would happen.

BritishTroopsHaiti_zps281c6d76.jpg

British troops restoring order in the rural areas of Haiti, during the British Intervention in Haiti 1898.

In 1898 the local nation of Haiti fell from grace and suffered from riots and soon the government looked for ways to appease the masses and began to attack European and American industries, but one incident involving an attack against British civilians, which resulted in the deaths of some twenty people, was far too great to overlook. With this, and the fact that America had just gone to war with Spain, Prime Minister Robert Gascoyne-Cecil gave permission to a group of Royal Marines to restore the order and remove François Denys Légitime, the Current President of Haiti, from power. Though it was a clear violation of the Monroe doctrine, President William McKinley was fearful (and rightfully so) that America wasn't able to take on the Empire where the sun never sets. While the Spanish Empire had been long overdue, the British Empire was at its apex, and it seemed far from falling. While the event only lasted two months, the British firmly left themselves at the head of countries industry, even making sure that countries like Germany or America would be unable to compete with her in the near future.

TRroughriders_zps58896a17.jpg

Roosevelt posing with the Riders during the Spanish American war, in which he nearly single-handedly ended the war in an (although it would most certainly would have happened either way) American Victory.

America might have received a black eye by the British in the nineteenth century, but they sought to give one right back at the start of the twentieth, and they got a man who seemed hell bent on doing it, Theodore Roosevelt. Roosevelt would lead the united states into the stepping stones of becoming a great power. He was a staunch defender of the Monroe Doctrine, and during his presidency would shape the world view on America, no longer was she just a simple Republic, she was a force to be reckon with. However his legacy was nearly ruined with the short one-term presidency of William Howard Taft, who didn't meet the Progressive Standards of the new age, at least, according to Roosevelt.

120806022047-teddy-roosevelt-1912-story-top_zps586c5b1d.jpg

Roosevelt accepting his Third Term as President after the Progressive Victory in 1912.

In a highly contested election, both Incumbent Taft and Democratic challenger Woodrow Wilson would be defeated in a landslide victory by the new Roosevelt/Tyler Massey (A flamboyant forty-five year old Illinois Politician.) Progressive party ticket. Roosevelt played well off current American issues, such as growing domestic prosperity that had started to run dry during the Taft presidency, and a growing anti-British and anti-Japanese sentiment (so much that the party was referred to as, the Victoria party, named after the then late Queen Victoria). Now the year is 1914, and the world is conversing especially in Europe, where in the next few days, would decide the ultimate fate of the world.

okay, that was pretty short, but I felt it was at least a good start. also Tyler Massey is a fictional character, which i guess you could say that he was part of a butterfly effect that caused Roosevelt winning in the 1912 election. many butterflies are present, such as the Haiti affair, a more serious rounds of tensions between the US and UK, and many more will show up due throughout the AAR, hope you enjoyed, and remember all, criticism and likewise comments are welcomed.

TR is always a good choice of the Great War :p

@trekfan: Glad to see your interested! Hope that Teddy will make you proud!
@Kurt_Steiner: I agree, better that Wilson, who needs Neutrality when you have murica.

White House Situation Report. June, 27th, 1914
Section one: Homeland Overview.
Screenshot2_zps7666d758.jpg

The United States of America, currently controls land that stretches from both oceans, and beyond that, lies her other positions that will be discussed below. The United states currently has trouble across her borders, especially in the south. Mexico currently is reeling from massive revolutions, and both the rebels and the government are neither the U.S's friend or foe. To the north lies Canada, an area that, while hasn't seen conflict for decades, has some american's on edge. While Canada alone would be smashed in war, its her mother country, the UK that is problematic. besides owning most of the Caribbean, Britain also has broke the Monroe doctrine not but sixteen years, with the British "Intervention" in now Pro-British Haiti. Besides this, only France, the Dutch, and the Caribbean nations loyal to america pose little to no current threat at this time.
Screenshot3_zps0f0f6d50.jpg

The Pacific holds many territories of the United states, the largest is the Philippines, although they are on they're way to becoming independent in due time. American Interests are high but so is the threat, which is poised by two empires this time. The British, as usual, and a newer enemy, the Japaneses. We must maintain are hold on these areas with all cost, unless we wish to undo all the work we have achieved in the past few years.
Screenshot4_zps833425a8.jpg

Liberia_zps33a7df75.jpg

While America has no real territory, the tiny country of Liberia is essantially a U.S colony in its own right. formed by former escaped slaves back in the pre-civil war days, Liberia was only saved from direct colonization by America, and its government, army, even people are nothing but american property, to say the least. The Major problem is that Liberia is surrounded by hostile regimes, British and French, and wouldn't last long if war where to erupt. though not many in the states would notice, let alone care.
Section Two: Foreign relations Overview.
Europe:
Screenshot18_zps0774a55a.jpg

European Tensions are more heated then ever before, not since the days of napoleon has the continent ever been this fragile, and the worst part is, many factors are in play to make sure war will break out, however not real threat of it is currently being shown, but how long will that last? Now for the Two major alliances and other nation(s) of interest.
THE ENTENTE
France_zps6aef47bd.jpg
EvilEmpire_zps4bee7ec6.jpg
Russia_zpsa37cc9d2.jpg

The French lead triple entente would be more accepted by the public if it where not for the inclusion of the "Evil Empire" Britain, the Imperialist motives of the past still linger with Britain, and even with this alliance, its unlikely that it will survive a post war world. France and Britain share a long bloody history, and while that may have been changed, the great game with Russia over Central Asia is not and will not be over just for some anti-German coalition.
THE CENTRAL POWERS
Germany_zps551e22ed.jpg
Austria-Hungary_zpsebdf2005.jpg

With Anti-British tensions high, the average person would think that America would be on the side of the Central Powers side, however America doesn't see much difference in them either. Germany and Austria-Hungary came together in order to stop the threat of both Russia and France, but without a common foe (Britain has yet to be too hostile with the Germans, however the naval race does prove the tensions are there to set up for war) we see no real reason to follow them into war.
NON_ALIGNED
Ottomans_zpsc83995ee.jpg
Italy_zps31839fd0.jpg

While the following are neutral, both sides are either supportive of one side, or are actually sided with one but we believe that they will leave behind that and go for neutrality. The Sick man of Europe is currently non-aligned, but anyone not dead would know how pro-German the Sultan is, especially with the British, French, and Russian breathing down their neck. Italy is currently in the Central Powers, but maintains that only defensively would she join a war, and its would most likely the Central Powers that would start a fight, meaning the Italians would be all on their own.
AFRICA
Screenshot19_zpsd48db307.jpg

Not much can be said about Africa that hasn't already been mentioned, at it holds little to no interest to America at this point in time, and a conflict would see the Central Powers kicked off the continent very short into it.
ASIA
Screenshot20_zps21a1d415.jpg

Screenshot21_zpsf2521bf5.jpg

ASIA has seen conflict in the past years, resulting in a large shift in power, especially due to the Russo-Japanese war, making Japan a world player at this point, a fact that we must accept even if we don't want to.
ENTENTE
Japn_zps491710e0.jpg
Australia_zps9b0f15c3.jpg

Japan has risen very far, very fast, and this shows that eventually they will become a problem we will have to face off against at some point in time. They even threaten our rivals, the British, as they surely look at both India and Australia as prime targets for the snatching. Speaking of Australia, the Continent down under remains a somewhat threat to U.S interests, essentially a second Canada, its distance from the Philippe is short, making the threat of British invasion a possibility, along with the Japanese, that has made us increase the Garrison there by double.
NEUTRAL
China_zpsbac85167.jpg

Once a proud Empire that was feared and respected, the Chinese are in a state of Anarchy, as the government barley clings on to itself, making it prime targets of both Alliance systems.
SOUTH AMERICA
Screenshot22_zpse3cd9ac7.jpg

South America reamins very U.S aligned, and while many governments claim to have Anti-US agendas, they know that should the hands change, the Europeans wouldn't think twice about making new colonise there. Argentina esspecially runs into our hands due to claims on the Falkland Islands, which for Decades have been a largely Disputed area, and should war break out, they would jump on the chance to retake them.
Section Three: Cabinet Overview.
Cabniet_zps7f5c2393.jpg

The Current Cabniet of President Roosevelt. not many important notes other than the appointment of such war buddies such as Tasker Bliss as Secretary of State, and Philippe war veteran Tyler Massey as Vice President. all loyal to the Progressive party dominated congress and senate.
END OF REPORT.

Last edited:
Mr. Massey looks a bit scruffy for a man holding such a high office. No mustache? No fashionable hat? No white shirt? And a haircut that looks out-and-out proletarian? What sort of proletarian ruffian has Mr. Roosevelt brought into the government!! :eek:hmy:

Anyways I'm interested to see if (or rather: when) you will smack down the British empire. :) Here's to the future German-Austrian-American alliance!

So old Teddy is still the president, this should be interesting.

Mr. Massey looks a bit scruffy for a man holding such a high office. No mustache? No fashionable hat? No white shirt? And a haircut that looks out-and-out proletarian? What sort of proletarian ruffian has Mr. Roosevelt brought into the government!! :eek:hmy:

Anyways I'm interested to see if (or rather: when) you will smack down the British empire. :) Here's to the future German-Austrian-American alliance!
Yea i couldn't find a picture I liked to suit the needs of Massey, everyone 1914 pic looked either unlikable and relate able, or I knew would appear later on. so I used my own custom picture, although Im still waiting for someone to recognize who that is. :laugh: . and HEY, just because they have a common enemy, doesn't mean that they will form an alliance, although that doesn't mean that they won't.
So old Teddy is still the president, this should be interesting.
glad to hear your interested.

McAdoo, Chandler and Massey are a bit out of place, methinks...

No moustaches :rofl:
PS: Add the PM of Australia to the list.

Is this still going on?
Yes I've just been so swarmed with projects, but maybe I'll write the next update this weekend, just dont hold me to close.

Interesting, looking forward to see where this is heading.:)

Hey guys, gonna start writing the next update, but not sure how to format the story, might have in game pics, or might have only 1 in game pic of the front of the update, either way its coming.