• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interestimg!

KaiserWilhelmI: It certainly makes things easier for me.

battle bunny: Aaah, okay. I'll look into using Fraps later.

Gukpa: Why? I'll do a stereotypical gangster when I do the Legation Cities, but I don't see why Yunnan would have one.

zig_zac: Glad to hear it! And I think that was the first time I've ever seen Syndie Poland, so I was a little surprised.

Davisx3m: I hope so!

Cabinet Meeting 1937

oyjn2YL.jpg

“It’s always a pleasure to see all of you. Some great things are ahead of us, so I think we need to discuss them.”

“You look different somehow, Long…” Armaments Minister Liu Wenhui said.

apON2Hg.jpg

“I’m glad someone noticed :cool: .”

“I can’t quite place what though. Did you trim your mustache?”

:mad: No, I did not trim- never mind, Liu. Let’s get to the nitty-gritty of what this meeting is about- the unification of China. Zhou, Mi and I will give an analysis of our neighbors.”

“Someone thinks a little highly of himself, to count himself twice.”

“Shut up, Mi.”

“That’s a little harsh. You should apologize to yourself.”

“Shut up.”

“Uuuh, ex-excuse me? The meeting?”

“Thank you, Zhou. First order of business: the AOG.”

vuTrtmy.jpg

“The AOG is so weak, even the Legation Cities can cajole them. Conquest of the AOG would give us access to the ocean-”

“Let’s do it!” Liu enthused.

“O-o-oh, but the AOG is a co-co-colonial g-government of… GERMANY!”

ESq16Eu.jpg

“Hmm, you’re right, Zhou- I hadn’t considered that. There’s no way we can take on the German Empire… yet.”

“Some of my spies speak of separatist sentiment- it’s possible the AOG could declare independence. Additionally, the old Kuomintang has some sway in the area; it’s possible they will defect and claim south China for themselves.”

“Meaning we could then seize the lands for ourselves- excellent work, Mi.”

“Taking credit for others work again, huh?”

“ :glare: I… Moving on. Just north of us and the AOG, are the so-called Shangqing Tianguo, the Kingdom Under the Heavens. Our current battle plan:

4GhBebS.jpg

Our border may be fairly wide, but the Yangtze cannot be forded along roughly half the border. Thus we’re effectively forced through a bottleneck. The Shangqing have formidable land fortifications and terrain to their advantage. In the event of a war, our plan is to breakthrough as quickly as possible, and move quickly to capture their capital and isolate any forces. By striking quickly and with superior force, we’ll neutralize their major advantages. Do you two have anything to add?”

“W-w-well, the Qing ha-have been… MILITANT LATELY! A c-c-conflict between the two is inevitable, we could hit them while they’re busy with the Qing :ninja: …”

“My reports place their army as roughly the same size as our own, but our army is largely professional whereas theirs consists largely of poorly trained but fanatical militia. Their military uses the doctrine of Defensive Focus.”

“Thank you, Zhou and- thank both of you. Next on our list:

NvV9nu2.jpg

Very, very simple. Unfortunately, Tibet is allied with Mongolia. We don’t share a border with them, so that doesn’t concern me, but I’d rather not have a phony war going on with the Khan. Moving on:

c3G3XKb.jpg

The Xibei Lianbang Yiyuan, our most likely first target. The Ma brothers may have been spared from Khan Sternberg, but I will not be so lenient. Our plan is fairly simple- we force our way into Xining, and from there, the advance splits into three. The main thrust will be a northern drive towards the capital of Urumqi. The second will be a southern thrust also towards Urumqi. The third will be towards Linhe, along the Qing border. Linhe is an important province, and furthermore, the advance will isolate any of the Mas’ forces in the region. Questions?”

“N-none from me.”

“How did you know, Zhou?”

“ :sleep: …Glad to hear it. Shall we move on to other matters?”

“Actually, while we’re on the subject, I suspect Siam may have some Japanese sympathies. A Japanese ally directly south of us could be dangerous.”

“Hmmm. That could be troublesome.”

“M-m-might I add something? If Siam allies w-with… JAPAN, Burma may feel f-f-frightened (rightly so!), and ally with the… GERMAN EMPIRE! Th-that’s doubly bad for us, our two most d-d-dangerous enemies right on our border…”

“I see. Intelligence report?”

“Both Burma and Siam have very small armies, but if things go the way Zhou and I predict, they could have some powerful friends.”

“Perhaps they would prefer to live under the loving guidance of the Cloud Dragon ;) ?”

5kJtykY.jpg

6uGvOhc.jpg

“I want to modernize and industrialize a bit beforehand however. I’m setting Spring 1938 as the start of the Reunification Campaigns. Burma and Siam are on the table for ’37, but I haven’t decided yet. Let’s discuss the economy. Liu?”

p0WxlVO.jpg

“We are improving the infrastructure of a few key cities. When they complete, we will have a framework to begin expanding our industry. By 1938, we should have enough industry to be considered a regional power.”

ieNo3IR.jpg

“Our technology progress. The Great Cloud Dragon is nearly a fifth done developing a new style of war for Yunnan, as you obviously already know. Can we do some naval research next?”

“No. Can I see those papers?”

“Oh, yeah, okay I guess :unsure: .”

r5aNgCG.jpg

“I want our army on at least a 1931 standard before the Reunification Campaigns start. We don’t have numbers on our side, so we’ll need any tactical edge we can get. Ideally, we can reach the 1936 standard by the end of 1938.”

“Very good.”

“ :huh: Wait a moment- I thought Mi did technology reports? Don’t you dare say it.”

“I figured we’d switch off, neither of us have very much to do anyway. I’m not implying anything, but maybe if I had some more funding :rolleyes: …”

iBlhmuO.jpg

“Fine. We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us this year, and even more come next year. You are all dismissed.”

“Wait! What about me?”

“Right. How is the Yunnanese Navy and Air Force holding up, Lu Han?”

“Exceptionally well. They’re even more non-existent than usual today.”

“:sad:”

“Don’t cry, Liu. I promise, we’ll build a huge navy, with aircraft carriers and battleships aplenty. It’ll take all the industry of China to do that, so let that motivate you! Dismissed.”

-End Meeting-​

• Long Yun looks pretty damn cool with sunglasses and a neck beard for some reason.
• I call it the Hugo Strange.

Last edited:
I cannot wait until you got nuclear bombs :3

Also, it is more realistic to have a gangster in legation cities :v you are right

Gukpa: I thought so. And who needs nuclear bombs when you could have a grand navy!

zig_zac: But it's just too easy! There'll be plenty of fighting soon enough...

Jan 1 1937- Apr 19 1937

4:00 Januawy Theventh
Mothcow, Wuthia
The Kwemlin

“Gweetingth, Mistew… Wangel, ith it?”

“It’s Wrangel, actually.”

“Yeth, yeth, that ith what I thaid- Wangel. I want you to be Thupweme Commandew of the Wuthian Militawy. Awe you up the tathk?”

“Well well, this is a surprise. I promise there will be some changes around here… some of which I’m not sure you’ll like… You won’t be sorry. Much. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

“What’th tho funny? Youw awe a thtwange man.”

Q43yL5a.jpg

One of these things is not like the others/ One of these things does not belong…

Kunming, capital of Yunnan...

“I-I have some news you may like to hear:

UoxXWJF.jpg

The Qing have decided not to reform their political system. Meanwhile, J-J-Ja-JAPAN grows even s-s-st-stronger everyday!”

v3a1D90.jpg

“Don’t worry, my easily frightened little friend! I seriously doubt Indonesia poses much threat to us at all. Please, leave me so I can return to my work. I need to develop this new doctrine, and Liu wants me to be present at the opening of a new road. Hey, you ever get that feeling of déjà vu? Ehh, it’s probably just me.”

XJE8SRZ.jpg

“Oh, bu-but that’s not all. Trouble’s brewing in the Balkans and M-M-Middle-East (big surprise)!”

CdAFX8j.jpg

ClTvvzy.jpg

“I see; keep me posted. Please, leave me so I can return to my work. Hey, you ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

Chicago, USA

“It is time, my fellow repressed proletarians, for a revolution! Raise your banners, raise your rifles, raise your hands to the air like you just don’t care! Because we all want a revolution, we all want to change the world! Because a man has a right to talk about what’s on his mind, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s the revolution kind! Except when he is!”

XfhY4KO.jpg

“Together, we will bring down the capitalist corruption and create a new world! A whole new world, a new fantastic point of view! Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together; try to love one another right now! Except for capitalists, conservatives, liberals, and anyone who isn’t far-left wing, screw them! Hold on, I’m getting a phone call. Yes? :angry: WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME! Ohh, you mean “Jack Reed.” Hey, you ever get that feeling of déjà vu? Ehh, it’s probably just me. So, how’s it hanging? Who’s Wangel? What’d you mean, “not Wangel, Wangel?” Oh, “Wrangel” yes, yes- WAIT WHAT :eek: ! Why would you put him in charge of the military? Isn’t he dedicated to wiping out all Syndicalists and Communists :confused: ? I mean, it seems like a great idea, thanks for the aid, we’ll certainly need it.”

LPPFdrI.jpg

Kunming…

“Thanks for the report, Zhou. I want you to arrange a deal with this so-called Union State. Between Reed’s syndicalist nonsense and the MacArthur regime, they seem closest to the real America.”

Ruv4W6E.jpg

“H-Hello? Mr. L-L-L-Lo-Long? Mr. Long Yun w-wants me to tell you we Chinese know a thing or twelve about fragmentation and we wish you the best in your crusade.”

Later…

“I-I have some news you may like to hear:

RyvTgNd.jpg

Ha-Hawaii is independent…

s6E94JI.jpg

And the PSA have s-s-seized Alaska. Oh, gosh, you don’t think they want to use it as a… JUMP-OFF POINT FOR A NAVAL INVASION DO YOU :eek: ! You don’t? Oh :eek:o . And meanwhile, J-J-Ja-JAPAN grows even s-s-st-stronger everyday!”

G6q8NTT.jpg

“Don’t worry, my easily frightened little friend! I seriously doubt Guam poses much threat to us at all. Please, leave me so I can return to my work. I need to develop this new doctrine, and Liu wants me to be present at the opening of a new road. Hey, you ever get that feeling of déjà vu? Ehh, it’s probably just me.”

wHdLY06.jpg

Later…

The so-called Pacific States of America make peace with the MacArthur Regime, in exchange for local autonomy.

K4wDium.jpg

With his western flank secure, MacArthur is free to fight Reed’s Combined Syndicates and Huey Long’s American Union State.

vIVN8X9.jpg

Wuthia…

“And that, people of Wuthia, ith why we mutht choothe the path of glowiouth itholationithm! Wuthia ith a wowld in and of itthelf! Thothialithm in one countwy!”

:)angry: BOO! BOO ON YOU SIR! FIRST MONGOLIA, NOW THIS :angry: !)

RTY8xOk.jpg

Kunming, April 12th

In a great speech today, Long Yun announces his intentions to unify China, announcing the formation of a “National Protection Alliance.” According to Long Yun, he represents the true China, as he is not a puppet of foreign powers, a feudal Ma, or a fanatic cultist. Shining Path for Yunnan!

gDi7sCi.jpg

Japan, meanwhile, is saber-rattling as well. Japan’s declaration to destroy German power in the Pacific brings Siam into their alliance…

zdGhdhg.jpg

Which prompts Burma to align with Germany in response (My troops were redeploying to the borders when this happened! Stupid militant Japan, allying with people before I can invade them :angry: !).

xLLrOLX.jpg

In Europe, Hungary is shattered by its war with Austria and Rumania.

KeH4QAp.jpg

Long Yun decides he won't be able to race Austria to see who can reunify their nations first. He'll have to race the Americans instead!

-End Update-​

• Hey, you ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
• GRRR I HATE ISOLATIONISM! IT’S A WAR GAME! MAKE WAR!
Déjà vu is the strange feeling that we sometimes get that we have lived through something before.
• So, why is the event that turns Yunnan into the National Protection Alliance called “Yunnan’s Shining Path” when that refers to Peruvian Maoists?
• Hey, you ever get that feeling of déjà vu? Ehh, it’s probably just me.
• Special thanks to the Spoony Experiment and Monty Python for roughly a third of the jokes this update.
Déjà vu is the strange feeling we sometimes get that we have lived through something before.
• I said no Syndicalists in East Asia, does Russia count as East Asia? I’ll make Russia do something exciting this game!
• Hey, you ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Ehh, it’s probably just me.

whatguts: Yes, via the "Shining Path for Yunnan" event chain which turns Yunnan into the National Protection Alliance and eventually the Republic of China.

Sorry everyone, but the next update will be a little delayed. It should be ready this weekend.

It's okay, take all the time you need.

Dr.Livingstone: Thanks for the support!

This is purely a gameplay update. I’m taking two summer courses at the moment so it’s quite a workload. I’m taking seven courses in the fall semester so I imagine things might really be slowing down- I’ll do my best to put stuff out but there will probably be a lot more gameplay and less dialogue and characterization.

April 20 1937- Jan 1 1938

Austria has a very weird definition of the word “neutral.”

bU9Shyc.jpg

Viva la Mexico!

RyZNSO2.jpg

The Spanish Civil War ignites. Meanwhile, Austria is turning into a powerhouse.

K0tURGO.jpg

2qd0SPz.jpg

We receive +2 IC via event. I believe it was “Refugees From the AOG” or something like that. Only two more IC and we get a shiny new tech team!

CTobyMk.jpg

Seriously :angry: ! I’m not sure that’s how the real Genghis did it, pal. I’m pretty sure there was a lot more raping and pillaging involved than sitting contently in Mongolia.

gu1uKlY.jpg

Finally, a chance to have some fun…

EeMIPtO.jpg

I decide to declare war rather than wait for the event- I don’t want the Qing to get any stronger, or the Shangqing to pull out a surprise victory.

JaveQ8B.jpg

It looks like things are going more to the “surprise Shangqing victory” direction. Not if I can do anything about it!

WeZKxqw.jpg

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka 'Āina i ka Pono (the life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness)

GadZmKn.jpg

Emperor Hirohito is dead!

jSxLr8p.jpg

Our HQ shows its worth. If we capture Pingliang quickly, we’ll trap a quarter of the Shangqing army and be set to capture Yan’an.

4kYwv0A.jpg

Which we easily do. The Army of Reunification enters Yan’an, forcing the Shangqing to capitulate!

8iOVuDa.jpg

qDBXb41.jpg

Long Yun’s territory as of 1938:

1evhSqM.jpg

Also, Austria-Hungary continues to misunderstand the meanings of words. I do not think the “special bonds” between Austria-Hungary and the Entente are particularly happy ones.

pod5kMt.jpg

-End Update-

• The Reunification of China is about to begin! The pace will quicken immensely from here on out.
• I’ve never seen Austria-Hungary join the Entente before- this’ll be interesting. Add the Union of Thoviet Thothialitht Wepublicth into the mix and this could be quite a WWII.
• I was considering trying a Hawaii AAR but it’s pretty much impossible without cheating, and if you have to cheat to make it playable, it’s pretty much pointless to do so.
• Question: more frequent updates like this one, or less frequent updates like the others?

Last edited:
•Question: more frequent updates like this one, or less frequent updates like the others?

Personally I preferred the comedy/narrative style of the other updates, but do whatever feels comfortable.

Alright, I'll try to do more like the others!

Just played another update- unfortunately, all the pictures are damaged :( . I'll take some more and do my best to touch on everything that happened retrospectively.

As always, a big thanks to all my readAARs!

Cabinet Meeting 1938

“Welcome, everyone. I’m afraid the power’s out, so we’ll just have to make do. Let’s start with an overview of the situation, and our next plans for the unification of China. Zhou, diplomatic overview? Hold that thought- :angry: get your hand off me!”

“No one has a hand on me.”

“No, I meant me, not you.”

“Who? :huh: Me?”

“No Mi, me.”

“You?”

“Me?”

“No, Mi.”

“Oh, :happy: Mi?”

“Yes, :angry: me!”

“I think he meant Mi.”

“No, :angry: I meant me!”

“That’s what I said.”

“Not you, Mi.”

Suddenly, a voice from the heavens bellows out:

8jXOCPN.jpg

“Uhh, o-o-o-okay! As y-y-ou can see by l-looking at this map-

HJ3bgqM.jpg

or not- we are in control of c-central China. That means we’re su-sur-SURROUNDED BY ENEMIES! The Qi-Qing h-hate us, the Urga-Lhasa axis hates us, the G-G-Germans hate us, and the Ja-Ja-Japanese too!”

“Despite our numerous enemies, I’m confident we can handle them all so long as we fight them one at a time. Our first order of business will be to conquer western China. Following that, Tibet and Mongolia, the German colonial empire, the Qing, and the Japanese Empire, in that order. Here’s the modified battle plan for the first of these campaigns:

HJ3bgqM.jpg

As you can’t see, it is essentially the same plan as before, but this time we will be attacking Linhe in the first phase of the campaign instead of the second. I predict we will be finished by 11:00 June 21, but that of course is just a guess, I’m certainly not a time-traveler from the future or a fourth-wall breaking author. Mi, intelligence report.”

HJ3bgqM.jpg

“Obviously, we can’t see the report. But I remember they have roughly 14 divisions, while we will have 21 divisions available for the invasion.”

“Excellent- and no ridiculous jokes :) ! Liu, can I see an economy report?”

HJ3bgqM.jpg

“The two new factories are nearing completion, one will finish in February, the other in April. I’ve prepared plans for expanding our navy if you’d like?”

“No.”

“Please?”

“No.”

“I’ll name a ship after you.”

“No.”

*sigh* “Fine, we’ll focus production on upgrading the army then. In other news, I’m proud to say I’ve moved the economy to full Central Planning.”

“Good, good! Next, we’ll need to strengthen the Hawk Lobby; we want the people behind us in our wars. Lu Han, where does our Navy and Air Force stand compared to our rivals?”

“It’s a close call, the Xibei San Ma’s Navy and Air Force are exactly the same size as ours.”

“I’m sure our superior morale and leadership will guarantee we win the war in the sea and air. Ding Zhipan, how goes integration of the former Shangqing lands?”

“I’ve currently working on integrating a militia division and an infantry division into our armed forces. The populace should be integrated in a year or so, but they are, surprisingly, relatively calm. I recommend building at least one garrison division to help hold the lands we will soon be conquer-er, liberating.”

“I prefer the term, “unifying,” Ding. Well, let’s prepare for the upcoming war men. We’ll meet again at exactly 11:00 June 21st, I have a good feeling about that date.”

-End Meeting-

I'm going to get to work on the next update immediately! Summer session is over, so I'm going to make the most of it! They're short updates anyway, without pictures :( . I've taken new pictures just fine, I'm not sure what happened to these.

I went a little crazy with the editing on this one... but enjoy anyway!

Jan 1 1938 - June 21 1938

“Whew! What an exhausting march! But quite a successful one, eh, men?”

Arznt1w.jpg

“Y-y-yes, sir. B-b-but I can’t help but feel a b-b-b-it frigh-frigh-frightened by the fo-formation of *gulp* THE SOVIET UNION! I sent them a non-agression pact just to be s-safe. They’re scary, especially Lazer Kaganovich.”

0D2tmnO.jpg

“Troubling indeed, Zhou. I doubt they’ll be attacking us anytime soon though, given their current situation:

TWsXR90.jpg

LNBb2hc.jpg

aCMKEqf.jpg

“How did that happen anyway?”

“They declared war on the *Don-Kuban Union*, who were guaranteed by Germany. Thankfully, the S-S-Soviets weren’t allied with France, or the wh-whole world might’ve been at war. So far, all the French are doing is taunting the Germans, who h-have only a sk-sk-skeleton border patrol. They told me to “mind my own business” when I asked what their int-intentions were, and that my “mother was a hamster, and my father smelt of elderberries.” They are a very silly people.”

3oHcbVV.jpg

“Anything else, before we turn to talk about issues a little closer to home?”

“W-well, the American Civil War continues to rage:

hIKsBUE.jpg

And the war between Al-Al-Alash Orda and Turkestan seems to be winding down, in favor of the Turks.”

SWXaT77.jpg

“Interesting. I’ll give the state of the army now. We have 21 divisions at the moment."

Qtj2yfP.jpg

“My personal command, The Army of Reunification, is the model the rest of the military should look up to. It’s still woefully out of date, but at least it fights with post WWI weapons. Soon, it will fight entirely on the 1926 standard:

8wdpNOP.jpg

Now, I want to see an economic report. Liu?”

lf5MqI5.jpg

“Our economy is geared completely towards upgrades, as per your orders. We completed two new factories, Yunnan is on its way to becoming an industrial power!”

“Excellent work Liu! Liu, as soon as the upgrades finish, I want you to begin production of ten more infantry divisions- then, our army would equal the Qing’s.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to wait until we finish developing 1931 infantry weapons? As you can see by this chart-”

“Wait a moment! It’s my turn to do the technology report!”

“Oh, right I almost forgot Mi.”

“Don’t worry, we’ll never forget you Liu. Anyway, here’s the report!”

dZZsXtv.jpg

“Someone named “Long Yun” is researching some new theory called Mass Assault Doctrine. Meanwhile, our expanded industry allows us to support an additional science team. The Kunming Arsenal is developing new infantry weapons for us, as Liu already mentioned. We should be caught up by the end of the year.”

“That makes me glad. The next order of business will the Mongolia and Tibet campaigns. Intel?”

“I’m most certainly glad, but-”

“No smart remarks.”

*drooling* “Duuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :blink: -”

*facepalm* “You can make intelligent remarks, but no smartassery.”

4mWRTFp.jpg

“The mighty Mongols! Only 11 divisions, we have twice their number but we’re fighting a two-front war, because of Tibet:

MMGeIBW.jpg

But they have only 4 or so divisions, so calling it a second front is a bit of an exaggeration.”

“Hmmm, I see. Well, here’s the battle-plan, boys:

KpNxnyq.jpg

We’ll strike Mongolia first, as they’re the most dangerous. We’ll amass the army along Bayan Hot and Linhe, and we’ll breakthrough and rush to Urga as quickly as possible, to depose the Khan. When that’s done:

wGt4YRg.jpg

“We’ll march on Lhasa. No tricks here, just brute force. The only real challenges I’m expecting are from the AOG, Qing, and Japan. Everything before them is just target practice. I need some rest after the long march, so I’ll see you all later.”

“BOO!”

usaqwWG.jpg

:eek: AAAAAAAHHHHHHH :eek: !”

-End Update-

*Or whatever it's name is*

Last edited:
Looks like the biggest long-shot for reunification (besides... Tibet? I'm not sure Tibet or the Mas have events for unifying China, anyway.) is about to start snowballing something fierce. Ulaanbaatar should have a lot of industry for your efforts, and the AOG lost the coast, so I think the bigger dominoes are about to start falling!

(That Soviet-German war seems to happen a lot. I think there should be some kind of event chain for the Soviet-Cossack war that handles it rather than just dumping a German DoW on them... like the French seeing the chance to strike the Empire, or something. Uh... LAZER KAGANOVICH, SAVE US.)

I wouldn't call Yunnan the biggest long-shot... personally, I find the Shangqing to be trickier- Yunnan's army is actually pretty decent. Nope Tibet and the Mas have no events, but it's more about the principle. I've always wanted to play a game as the Mas anyway, they always lose their war with Mongolia, it'd be interesting to see what happens if they win.

Sadly, that may be awhile. I'm putting this AAR on hiatus because of college. When I return, I'll do several updates in a row, I promise!