• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yes, the system was, simply said, a lot more realistic. It was horrible as far as gameplay was concerned, and its effects were almost zero(being behind or ahead didn't change much). But that is also in a large part what technology was in the medieval era: so slow that an advantage would be minimal.

I miss the old tech screen. But then the inevitable decadence happened. Why is it that every grand scale strategy game must have a tech tree where you can choose individual techs by yourself? Tech tree belongs in modern era games where it makes sense to assign specific projects, not in medieval game.

I liked how it worked. It felt dynamic and natural, now we have another feature closer to the arcade spectrum.

There was great potential to be unlocked in that tech tree, but no. For example, they could have tied the tech tree with trade posts. Game could have been made to think that the province with the trade post of Venice is next to Venice for the purposes of tech spread. It would have added to a whole new layer of gameplay. Instead of pressing a button, you permit a certain trade republic onto your shores bringing all the potential threats with it. Are you willing to risk the trade republic using its CBs in exchange of faster spread of tech from the clearly superior province of Venice.

I like it as it is. I played for quite a long time before the new system came in The Old Gods and I don't remember putting much thought into it. I would usually just set it to focus on a tech then forget about it for the whole game lol.

With the new system I have to try really hard not to put all my points into military organization and legalism otherwise I end up feeling way overpowered by the year 950 AD.

I much preferred the original system.

Perhaps it was less intuitive and did take some thinking to understand (and it was certainly less controlable), but I found it far far FAR more realistic as far as the spread of technology went.

All you could (and should be able to) do was choose the main focus of your research but all tech inched forward depending on buildings, neighbors, and focus. Then you had to look at what tech was advanced where and shuffle advisers to spur the spread towards realm uniformity or where you needed it. Outlying provinces might be far more advanced than the capital in certain techs because of neighbors or what not. You might need to put advisers at the border to leach off a more advanced neighbor or perhaps at the capital to disseminate tech developed there-- wherever as needed to spread tech as you wanted and it was not always a certain thing. It was definitely a much more involved and hands on system to make it work.

Now technology is much too bland and way too simple in my opinion. Simply wait till monarch points accrue, pop a tech increase and wallah-- your capital increases and all spreads from there... rinse and repeat-- and as many have been saying, it is almost always Military Organization, Construction, and Legalism now. Not to mention how completely unrealistic it is to decide AFTER all those years of research what one had been actually been researching...

The new system is the complete idiot's guide series version of the original... and wholly "arcadey" as someone mentioned.

The old system was almost totally useless. No matter how much some people think that it was "realistic" or something like that.

The old system was almost totally useless. No matter how much some people think that it was "realistic" or something like that.

I agree, it was a horrible way to try and translate a historical evolution into game mechanics. As it has argued earlier in this thread, it was even generous to call it game mechanics

Depends on how one defines useless and what criteria you are judging by. You could definitely elaborate on how you are defining useless...

As a historical simulation and modeling of how technology really spread the original system was far more accurate and realistic. Not "something like that"-- but exactly like that.

To me the new system is actually the one that is useless and forgoes any more attempted real modeling of history and is hardly realistic in its execution.

Where ever in history did R&D get applied without any decision to what was being worked towards ahead of time, but only after a certain amount of arbitrary time (monarch points) was it then decided that-- oh yeah... so uhm.... by the way... it was actually this that all our time and effort was aimed towards?

I do agree that as far as a WC game goes being able to handle technology as we do now is far more simple and works better for me as a player outside of that game. However, for roleplay and a more real historic simulation the old system was far better.

I guess it comes down to what one wants from the experience of interacting with this program. If I simply wanted a WC game, Civ always scratched that itch fine. Paradox to me was a historical simulation and not a WC game. This is why I feel the old system was far better.

I just wish that the different tech levels had actual innovations attached to them. For example, Cavalry tech could be couched lance, chivalry, etc.

The old system was where Lesbos could be the top Byzantine province in legalism, and indeed you could move your capital to get +1 demense. In fact, backwater provinces developing the technology you needed 60 years before your capital was one of the enduring frustrations of the system. Suffice to say it required a substantial amount of distorted perspective to regard this as 'realistic'.

One is also mildly amused at the appearance of 'arcadey' as a negative term.

One is also mildly amused at the appearance of 'arcadey' as a negative term.

This is a very clear trend, people throwing around terms like (un)realistic, (a)historical and arcadey and thinking that asserting their ideas about these ideas were actual facts. I say this thing X is ahistorical, therefore thing X is bad, should be removed and people who like thing X should go play Total War/Civ/etc.

This is a very clear trend, people throwing around terms like (un)realistic, (a)historical and arcadey and thinking that asserting their ideas about these ideas were actual facts. I say this thing X is ahistorical, therefore thing X is bad, should be removed and people who like thing X should go play Total War/Civ/etc.

And this here, my dear lads, is called 'a strawman'.

I think what's needed is a compromise between old and new. Make development more randomized, but allow some user input.

I love that i get to be op with military organization and legalism. The problem with the old system was that you had no control. It was just click the bonus to focus on farming, the thing replaced by military organization, and legalism. You didn't even think about going to that screen after you did that. The only thing i miss from the old ck2 was when stewardship was op and you could hold the entire kingdom of ireland if you ruler designed someone with very high stewardship. Oh and the old interface style with the light brown.

Well, IDK I tend to rush to universities in new system.

Getting 5-10 universities in first 100 years of game, and than 20-30 ish in another 100 years of your reign really helps you tech.

I could never wrap my head around the old system, but I could never wrap my head around anything when I first started playing the game. It blew my mind when a vassal took some outside territory on my first game as Poland :D

i dont miss the old one. and if everything but military organization was taken out of the new one I wouldn't even notice the change.