• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One interesting game is to start in 1350 (or in 1250, I don't remember) as a custom created Finnish duke of Finland. First you need to make yourself independent from Swedish rule, then conquer Karelia from Novgorod and form the kingdom of Finland. After that take Estonia from Denmark and then if you want try to conquer Sweden.

I've been messing around with the idea of themed playthroughs with ideas from political philosophy informing my gameplay. I've found it helps with tedium.

For example, a Platonic playthrough would entail the notion of philosopher-kings, all of which I train to have high learning. My councillors are usually set on tech-improving missions, and I always commission works of art, historical works etc. and I focus on virtues. CKII fits well with virtue-ethics, and Aristotelian and Platonic ideas.

Next "theme" I will play might be something based on Machiavelli (even if people suspect "the prince" is satire), with gameplay focused on managed tyranny, high intrigue and political pragmatism devoid of any ethical roleplaying.

Nah it's not that. The nations of Ireland, Scotland and Wales (they weren't really nations at this point, nobody was) were just too dis-united and not populous enough to expand... at least not very much. I guess that's why they never did? So it feels very unrealistic for me to do so in game. I guess I could maybe allow myself to play as Scotland and become king of both Scotland and England (and maybe Wales too) by inheriting them, Scottish and English monarchies were very very close in reality, but I wouldn't be able to keep Scotland as my primary kingdom title, I'd have to change it to England. It's bizarre to me to see the whole of Britain change to Scottish culture and be blue and not red. It just wouldn't happen.

I kind of have the same problem when I play as Brittany. My options for expansion are pretty much France and maybe Wales or Cornwall (they historically had ties with Brittany, migration and such), but could Brittany ever really expand into France? Nope. Again, maybe I could play as Brittany, marry into the Frankish monarchy and then inherit it, but again I'd have to immediately switch my primary title to the French kingdom.

None of this has anything to do with any bias or any historical grudges (because historical grudges are just silly, except for the one where Constantinople belongs to Greece because it just does and it always will) it's just... some things are way outside of the realms of what is historically plausible. Ireland uniting and then successfully invading England is one of those things.

The trouble wasn't Ireland uniting, several high kings pulled that off, one so well he was the only Irish ruler to be called king of all Ireland instead of just high king of Ireland, the trouble it never lasted past their deaths then it was business as usual for the petty kings who went back to mostly ignoring the high king other than lip service. the Welsh had similar issue as did the early Scottish kings and of course the pre-Saxon invasion kings of the Bretons that ruled in theory what's now England and wales had the same issue.

To me it was more I had more men at my beck and call (Without Retinues) then any of my neighbors save Aquitaine. I could have crushed the feuding petty kingdoms of the British Isles with contemptuous ease, all I needed was the excuse to go after them. Cornwall had become such an ally that it was eventually going to come under my control anyway (Virtually all our children were betrothed/married to each other), there was no more challenge in my nearby opponents.

I suppose I could have gone all the way North to Iceland to settle their hash, but honestly compels me to admit there's very little reason to want to capture Iceland. It's not like the Norse raiders were doing any damage. I'd get the prompt, raise a few counties of men, and promptly tell them to "GET OFF MY LAWN!". I also could go south and start meshing myself into the court of Asturias, now that they'd been squished to the north-eastern most section of the Iberian and were constantly under threat from the Muslims. Had I gone that route, I would have eventually just thrown away Ireland entirely and left it to the tender mercies of the AI, which considering my family owned every county in Ireland to some degree or another (I kind of got a little carried away with land grants, especially in light of the fact when you start out no county wants anything to do with its neighbors for fear of seizing its claims), would result in a bloody succession war the minute I handed it off to a relative anyway.

I'm also not thrilled with playing Norse/Tengri, because of the prestige hit you take for being at peace. I'm not naturally a combat-oriented person, which was one of the reasons Ireland appealed initially.

Maybe I should do my own play through of a pious, honorable family somewhere in Lothringia. I find the game a lot more compelling when you *aren't* the King.

My some of my most fun games were as dukes, Luxemburg is always fun but harder now that there's de jure capitals since you have to watch out for Lower Lorraine trying to form Lothringia which has Luxemburg as the de jure capital. The count of Cornwall in the 1066 start is fun, if you play your cards right your king will reward you the duchy of Cornwall, your the only Briton ruler in a kingdom of anglo-Saxons, Normans/English so it takes careful diplomacy to survive to the end of the game. Also Gotland is fun, I find it more fun then trying to play the Italian merchant republics plus the Hausa when they show up prove to be far more dangerous rivals to gotland than any of the Italian city states are to each other.

So it's the Year of Our Lord 964 and I am undisputed master of Ireland. My coasts are fortresses in which the Heathen Raider finds no purchase. The footfalls of my army shake the Isle of Mann, and my vassals are all bloodkin.

And I am bored out of my gourd.

I dunno, I guess playing outside the main continent has its advantages, but the major drawback is I've barely even started the frame of the game, and I've accomplished what I set out to accomplish. I honestly don't know what to do. I could conquer all of Britain and form the Empire of Brittania, but eh. I've got enough territory to sate even my appetite. I could launch strikes against the Norse, but supply chain difficulties make that problematic.

I'm half contemplating starting a new game in India, Africa, or Russia. Get away from the Pope and the Karlings for a bit. I'm also contemplating another game in which I try to unite and rule Brittany. But I have a crown on my head and my dynasty is secure with multiple branches of the family tree pumping out more and more o Clerighs (Thanks to those that helped me realize more courtiers in court = less babies). I'm secure for the Crusades and the Mogol Invasion...I honestly feel very much "out of the loop" with the rest of the game world.

Anyone else have issues like this?

One thing you can do is giving yourself "rules", here's an example of a set I like to follow:
1. Don't use the Legacy of Rome dlc, or set yourself a limit on how many retinues can you create
2. Instead of playing only a dinasty, play more than one. If playing a dinasty you find an interesting character, simply mark it to play it whenever you get bored of your current dinasty.
3. Set yourself a goal for every dinasty (uniting Ireland, forming the Roman Empire...).
4. Do not conquer another countries unless your character personally holds a claim on it, it's a de jure part of a kingdom title you hold, you don't have a kingdom or are infidels. That way marriage and inheritance plays a major role.
4. I like to think that the HRE, the ERE and the Roman Empire are the only legitimate empires, so I don't create any other empires. That usually compels me to fiddle in HRE or Byzantine affairs to try to usurp the Imperial throne.
5. Create all the kingdom titles you can, and when you feel your character is going to die give away kingdoms to every son -obviously the main heir should get more land that the others-.
6. Do not revoke titles just for the sake of it. Do it only when you have a claim on them or they've wronged you in any way like joining factions or plotting.
7. In the case of an Horde I usually follow two tactics: I either create every kingdom and empire title and divide it among my heirs or I simply don't create any empire and I just give kingdom empires outside my de-jure empire and dive them independence.

Last edited:
Yeah, thus far I've never even teched up to the point retinues are even available. My conquests rest solely on the brave men of my counties and occasional help from my friends in the Saxson Band.