• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Commander, 5th Regiment [Bugwar]

To:
Commander, 1st Regiment [von_Rundstedt]

Subject: Pending Operations

1. Reference message 290620141932 (Local).

2. In accordance with item one above, and pending any changes from the Division commander, A/2/5 will deploy to B sector in support of your force there.
The remainder of the battalion will move to A sector to deter further enemy movement.

Sincerely,

Bugwar

Colonel, Infantry
5th Regiment, 1st USMC Division
Commanding

Friday, 1st August 2014
10:00 AM

Situation Report

The recent 30 minutes saw severe fighting in the sectors Alpha and Bravo.

In sector Alpha, parts of 2/5 tried to push back the enemy, but the attack had to be halted immediately due to casualties and the enemy offensive. Due to that, 2/5 had to retreat and the frontline moved to Wiltshire Boulevard in the north and toward 14th Street in the east.

In sector Bravo, parts of 2/1 and 2/5 held the line despite an enemy attack. The frontline did not move, but the defending units had serious casualties.

Parts of 2/1 were ordered to hold sector Charlie. They encountered no enemy activities.

All in all the USMC suffered 36 casualties, thereof 9 dead, and received 18 replacements.

The frontline is still divided in sectors Alpha through Charlie (see post 3).

Reinforcements

1st Battalion / 7th Regiment arrived at Santa Monica FOB and is ready for duty. Additionally the 2nd Recon Battalion made its way through the city and can also be deployed as of now (see post 2).

(What a bloody mess. And this is just the beginning. Deadline for orders is Thursday 4 PM forum time.)

Last edited:
Do we have any information on the enemy strengths and opponents casualties from this round of combat?

Ya know, like reports from our troops that 'a single sniper is pinning our platoon, and killing anyone that moves' or even panic reports like 'Run, RUN! They are everywhere! Save Yourselves!"

Fighting blind gets old fast.

Do we have any information on the enemy strengths and opponents casualties from this round of combat?

Ya know, like reports from our troops that 'a single sniper is pinning our platoon, and killing anyone that moves' or even panic reports like 'Run, RUN! They are everywhere! Save Yourselves!"

Fighting blind gets old fast.

I see the problem and I will implement a recon system as of the next turn based on troop observations during combat. Stay tuned, I am with you and working on it. Please bear with me, but this is a new system for a forum game and you are my Beta testers so a lot of patches and code fixing shortly after release. :)

To:
Commander, 1st USMC Division [Thandros]

CC:
Commander, 7th Regiment [Trinitrotoluen]

Subject: Combat analysis

1. Judging from the initial reports of the fighting, attacking the invaders results in fewer friendly casualties, though at the cost of terrain.
Holding ground at all costs works, as far as keeping your position at least, though the friendly losses are greater than when actively engaging the enemy.

2. I recommend that the Division leave a single company in each of two sectors, with orders to delay the advance of the invaders,
while the bulk of our forces concentrate on a single sector and assault to make a significant inroad into both the foes territory and soldier numbers.

Sincerely,

Bugwar

Colonel, Infantry
5th Regiment, 1st USMC Division
Commanding

Flipside

Interesting approach to intelligence reporting.

At the beginning of each new turn, the USMC gains data concerning the enemy strength in each sector based on observations during combat. To represent this, the letters designating the sectors on the map (A, B, C...) are color-coded:

Black = No data (if there was no combat in that sector)
Blue = Friendly / enemy forces have about equal strength
Orange = Enemy has at least 1.5 times the strength of the USMC
Red = Enemy has at least 2 times the strength of the USMC

So what happens when the humans start outnumbering the bugs?
Do we get Purple, Black, and Green values for differing levels of superiority?

So what happens when the humans start outnumbering the bugs?

It will be Green. Added. This color-coding goes along the ratios that are being important for combat resolution, so you can consider the risk of getting a bad result.

Last edited:
I am very interested in this concept and will watch closely to see how this plays out :)

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I have fixed the map (post 3) for the current turn according to the new recon mechanic. Sector C saw no combat in the last turn, so it is black. The recon for sectors A + B already include the Alien reinforcements for the new turn, but not those for the USMC, since the new arrived battalion is still in reserve and not at the frontline.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I have fixed the map (post 3) for the current turn according to the new recon mechanic. Sector C saw no combat in the last turn, so it is black. The recon for sectors A + B already include the Alien reinforcements for the new turn, but not those for the USMC, since the new arrived battalion is still in reserve and not at the frontline.

Thanks.
That helps.

The Situation in Sector A And B is getting out of hand men. We need to hold them to allow reinforcements to arrive for a more general advance not try to push them back into the sea without any idea of enemy strength. All advances stop we are to hold our ground until the rest of the Division can arrive. I'll see if I can rustle up some Air support soon.

Expanding Tactical Options

I wonder if allowing the players to try and influence the combat by picking a tactic that outfoxes the opponents plan would be something you would want to try?

As an example, if the player picks the tactic of Frontal Assault, and the opponent chooses Enfilade, then the opponent gains a modifier to their combat die roll.

Mechanics:
Before rolling dice for combat, the combatants secretly choose one of eight cards from their set of Tactical Cards, then simultaneously reveal them,
and cross-index the two cards on the Tactical Results Matrix.

The results modify the die rolls for that combat.

Example:

What game is that CRT from?

Commander, 7th Regiment [Trinitrotoluen]

To:
Commander, 1st USMC Division [Thandros]

CC:

Subject: Deployments

Since we now do have some idea about the strength of the units opposing us I will move my battalion to shore up the defenses holding sector B unless overruled by Division HQ. There the greatest number of invaders have been sighted and and it seems to me that this area needs support the most.

Sincerely,

Trinitrotoluen
7th Regiment
Commanding

Don't concentrate all your forces in one sector the enemy's strength in their rear and in sector c is still unknown spread your forces out until we determine where the primary direction of the Alien attack.

There are two other battalions (plus the recon one) as well. I just think it makes sense to place the most fresh unit opposite the greatest threat.

Both A and B have equal known threat what makes B more important than A nothing and there may be even more forces in C who are preparing for the attack which might catch us off guard.

Ahem, A is colored orange (1,5 - 2 times our troop level) while B is red (at least 2x our troop level).

While we have no guareentee that those numbers are accurate soldier. Remember in the war of 1812 the Indian Tecumseh was able to convince an American fort to surrender to inferior numbers by parading the same men round and round again they may be trying to trick us or he difference in numbers in terms of aliens is still tiny.

And he who defends everything defends nothing, sir...

Yes, the numbers could be off but you go to war with the information you have and try to do the best with it. This what we know:

Code:
                       A                          B                          C
Our strenght:          2                          2                          2
Enemy estimate:        3                          4+                       unknown

Giving each sector an additional company doesn't really do much for us. A should be safe at 2:3 odds while going from 2 to 5 in B should stop any attack there dead in its tracks (and give us some breathing room to prepare a counter-attack). C is a wild card no matter what we do and if you are concerned about it, you could send the recon battalion to that sector. If you are willing to take a risk though it could go to B as well. There is no such thing as having too much firepower.