• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Two Rule Questions

1. If I have three battalions deployed in a given sector, what precludes my moving all of them to a different sector/map on the next turn?

2. Do we get to know what is in the opposing sectors before we commit our troops, or are we fighting blind?

If I have three battalions deployed in a given sector, what precludes my moving all of them to a different sector/map on the next turn?

As far as the rules are concerned: Nothing. It is your decision. But I work under the assumption, that the Regiment Commanders are cooperating concerning the question who defends what. :)

Do we get to know what is in the opposing sectors before we commit our troops, or are we fighting blind?

That`s a good question. Currently you are fighting blind. But I am thinking about a rudimentary recon system, that gives you at least a bit insight about what is going on on the other side.

Friday, 1st August 2014
09:30 AM

Situation Report:

2nd Battalion / 1st Regiment took up positions along the Pacific Coast Highway and awaited the enemy forces.

As well in sector Alpha as Sector Bravo 2/1 faced enemy attempts to push back the frontline, but could repel these attempts at considerably small cost.

Later it became obvious, that the enemy had not used all its forces for these attacks, since other enemy units pushed to the north respectively south. As a result the frontline was extended to the Santa Monica Boulevard in the north and the West Washington Boulevard in the south.

The frontline is now divided in the sectors Alpha through Charlie (see map post 3).

Reinforcements:

The 2nd Battalion / 5th Regiment appeared at Santa Monica FOB and is ready for frontline duty (see unit roster post 2).

(As the frontline extends, the amount of sectors increases. I assign all frontline units to the new sectors according to their previous position. Of course it is up to you to change that.

Deadline is Tuesday, 4 PM forum time.)

I'd suggest 5th Regiment takes care of Sector Alpha, and sends me A Company, 2nd Battalion to help hold Bravo. We might want to have the majority of our forces conduct a mobile defense, so as to limit our losses until reinforcements are available to push the enemy back, and only give hold orders in the most critical areas.

Sector Bravo strikes me as the most important, given that it lies directly between the enemy's central push and Santa Monica Airport.

Proposal

Commander, 5th Regiment [Bugwar]

To:
Commander, 1st USMC Division [Thandros]

CC:
Commander, 1st Regiment [von_Rundstedt]
Commander, 7th Regiment [Trinitrotoluen]

Subject: New Troop Deployments

1. 2nd Battalion/1st is doing a 'bang-up' job on dissuading our opponents from going anywhere.
With the addition of one of my battalions into the fray, I believe it is time to start pushing those space jockeys back.

2. Casualties on our side so far have been very light, and based on reports from frontline Marine elements I believe that the aliens are few in number.

3. In light of this, I recommend that 2nd Battalion/5th detach one company to screen the enemy forces in Sector A, while the remainder of the Battalion joins with the bulk of 2nd/1st Regiment in Sector C.

4. Upon deployment of 2nd/5th Regiment, the Marine elements in Sector's A and B will actively check any movement of foes with an 'Advance' into their positions.

5. The remainder of the two battalions will 'Assault' Sector C to drive the invaders into the sea.

6. I look forward to your comments and questions on this.

Sincerely,

Bugwar

5th Regiment, 1st USMC Division
Commanding

Attachments:
Maps (2)
1. Current Tactical situation
2. Proposed deployments

All Sectors are important. If one falls our position will be compromised. If B or C falls our FOB will be doomed while if A falls our flanks will become exposed. I suggest we should spread our force evenly until we have a better idea of where the enemy is.

Edit: An attack now while we are still weak will be unwise since we equally have no idea how strong the enemy is they may have forces in reserve to prevent such a counter attack.

Paying the Butcher's bill

Thank you for your prompt replies to my earlier post.

"Assault - Attempt to gain territory. May lead to serious gains if successful, but serious casualties in case of a bad roll"

1. Would you give an example of a 'serious gain', as well as 'serious casualties'?

"Advance - Cautious attempt to gain territory. Lesser gains if sucessful, lesser casualties in case of failure."

2. I am interested in finding out more about what 'lesser gains' look like, as well as the loss levels for 'lesser casualties'.

To:

CC:

Subject: Tactics

1. OK, you are the one whom the press blames if it all goes south.

2. I will send a company to support 1st Brigade, and the remainder of the battalion to Sector A.

Sincerely,

Bugwar

Commanding

Note to GM:
I would really like to know after the game what the enemy had in each sector at this time.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX BREAK XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX New Traffic Follows XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

To:

CC:

Subject: Coordination

1. Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Regiment will join your unit in B Sector.
2. What suggested tactics do you recommend for that area?

Sincerely,

Bugwar

Commanding

Damn, I really like that post layout, but I'm too lazy to do it for every single post. :p

Commander Bugwar,

Given that the enemy emerged out of the water without any recognisable landing craft, we can assume that their activities are not restricted to this beach sector alone, and as such confining them to this area will prove infeasible or even useless. Right now our highest priority should be to secure the FOB to enable further reinforcements, especially the Recon Battalions should prove cruicial in the hours to come.

Thus "securing our flanks" can and must go only so far as to secure Santa Monica Airport. I suggest we hold Sector B and C, no matter the cost, while conducting a mobile defense in Sector A, falling back to hold the freeway if need be.

To:

CC:

Subject: Deployment

There is nothing wrong with healthy aggression but counterattacking right now without clear information on what troop levels we are facing is a very optimistic plan of action. Instead of charging the enemy I would suggest to think about possibilities of luring the aliens into a trap. We could hold one of the sectors weakly and appear to give ground there while preparing to cut off any pursuing forces afterwards.

I am also slightly worried about the Marina Del Rey. A further amphibious landing there could have serious consequences for the units holding sector C and the FOB itself and we should think about the security of that flank.

Sincerely,

Trinitrotoluen

7th Regiment, 1st USMC Division
Commanding

Last edited:
"Assault - Attempt to gain territory. May lead to serious gains if successful, but serious casualties in case of a bad roll"
1. Would you give an example of a 'serious gain', as well as 'serious casualties'?

"Advance - Cautious attempt to gain territory. Lesser gains if sucessful, lesser casualties in case of failure."
2. I am interested in finding out more about what 'lesser gains' look like, as well as the loss levels for 'lesser casualties'.

As you can see I am working with Google/Maps. The good thing about it is, that it comes with a scale, so I can properly measure gains / losses of territory. If the attacking side has a good die roll, it may advance up to either 500 or 1000 meters (Aliens use the metric system) per turn, depending on the tactic.

Casualties are calculated in % of the involved force in the appropriate sector. Depending on the die roll (win, lose), the ratio between human/alien forces and the tactic, casualties range from 1% to 10%.

Battlefield Friction

Under current rules, frontline units in contact with enemy units can disengage from combat, and then move to any other sector and reengage on the same turn.

While it is the GM's choice on game mechanics, I would find it a lot more immersive if units could only move to frontline positions if they start the turn in a 'Reserve' status.

Thus, if a unit currently in the frontline wished to move to another sector, it would take two turns to do so.
The first turn they would move to the 'Reserve', using the 'Retreat' tactic.
On the second turn, they could then move to any frontline sector.

Just my two cents.

Under current rules, frontline units in contact with enemy units can disengage from combat, and then move to any other sector and reengage on the same turn.

This is not true. You may fight in one sector in this turn and a completely different sector in the next. If you have questions or suggestions concerning the rules, feel free to send me a PM. :)

I do have another rules question. Say you have sectors A & B and 3 companies to distribute. Is there any benefit at all to sending one company to each sector and keeping the third one in reserve behind the lines?

I do have another rules question. Say you have sectors A & B and 3 companies to distribute. Is there any benefit at all to sending one company to each sector and keeping the third one in reserve behind the lines?

No.

To:

CC:

Subject: Deployment

Are we agreed on the deployment and tactics of our battalions? We need to finalise our orders; too much time spent on talking might well enable to enemy to overrun us.

Sincerely,

von_Rundstedt

1st Regiment, 1st USMC Division
Commanding