• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lamias

Corporal
Oct 19, 2008
Hey guys, i would like some feedback for this problem.

I am playing as a Count. Let's say i hover my mouse over a temple holding that belongs to a baron-bishop of mine. It says that this holding can provide me with 247 levies -10% because the owner's martial skill is low.

But then, i go to the military tab and i see that the same holding can provide me at most with 173 levies, of which he then gives me only 77, due to opinion and laws modifiers.

I can understand the last modifier (opinion and laws). What i don't understand is, why in the temple holding icon it says that the temple has 247 levies, and in the military tab it says that the bishop can only provide me with 173 soldiers. What am i missing? The same thing happens with the city in my county. It says it has 188 levies, but in the military tab it says 131, of which it ends up giving me 41 levies due to opinion-laws.

Generally, how can i see how many levies could an enemy county raise? I wanna wage war to another count but i want to see how many soldiers he has, to understand if i can beat him.

Thanks for any replies!!

(I would post some screenshots to explain better but i don't know how)

You can see what other independent nations have on page 10 of the ledger. Obviously, there is a risk of mercenaries. To be honest, as non-castle baronies produce very little, and poor troops, you can basicly ignore them - just use what he has in his demense (especially as the vagaries of combat mean that similar sized armies are a 50/50 proposition to win).

Personally, were I attacking another county as a count I would a) use mercenaries (save enough money to raise and for 6 months, or use the loan) and/or b) hit them while they are fighting elsewhere. I would also check the allies they have.

Last edited:
So, when playing as any character, your vassals will only provide you with up to 50% of their levy. So when you hover over a city vassal and see their levy, you're not seeing the levy they'll provide you but the levy they have (at that holding). The amount you see in the military tab is the total possible levy they'll offer you, which, as I said, can be up to 50%.

That being said, what is strange about what you said is that the amounts offered are greater than 50% unless you wrote the wrong number (since 173 is 50% of 347) or something strange is going on their.

Regarding how to find out how many levies someone has. As Taiq stated, you can use the ledger for independent realms. For not independent realms, you can click on the guy and then click on the realm tree in the upper right of his portrait area. There, you should see his top liege with secondary lieges beneath until whatever level he is on. Find the guy you want to attack and hover over the little troops icon next to his portrait (probably says 100%). Their, it will tell you how many troops the top guy has as well as how many troops he has.

(I would post some screenshots to explain better but i don't know how)
Upload the image to any image host (imgur, photobucket)
Get the direct link to the image and put it in [noparse]
[/noparse] tags.

What is the crown authority? this affects the minimum size of the levy "pool". At the highest tier of crown authority 80% of the levies are made available to you but are subsequently unaffected by Opinion and individual levy laws you have enacted on your vassals.

Last edited:
I figured it out. I did the calculations and it goes like this:

My bishop has 247 levies, but he can provide me with 173 of them, because my martial skill is below 8 and incurs a penalty of -30% levy recruitment. (I play with some mods, so i don't know if it's a vanilla feature or not). So 247 x 70% = 173

Of those 173 that i can recruit, the game: 1) FIRST calculates the laws for clergy that i have in effect (I get 55% of my bishops' levies). So 173 x 55% = 95

2) THEN, FROM THAT NUMBER (95) it gives me the 80.6%, which is the bishop's opinion for me. 95 x 80.6% = 77

That's how the final number of levies is 77!!

Do the math with the numbers i gave in the first post for the city levies and you will see that it works. My law for cities is to take only 40% of their vassals and the mayor's opinion is 77,3%. It all adds up to 41!!

Sorry for long post, and sorry for asking the second question. I did a proper search and found where you can see the total number of enemy levies.

Thanks for the replies!!