Soviet Union: Possibly just a tiny bit overpowered?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice work there. You've fixed a lot of annoying issues and balance problems for a variety of countries. Chears!

Alas, I disagree with your nerfs to USSR:

25% IC: 25% IC only balances out the -25% nerf the USSR gets so it doesn't produce too much IC and forces pre-war. It's not a buff. As it stands, human Germany outproduces +60% AI USSR. Part of this is that human Germany tends to push central planning, so USSR does not get a relative +25% IC. Another part is that in the opposite to what happened in history, human Germany’s production queue tends to be much more efficient than the USSR production queue (at best, it’s equally inefficient), both in not wasting IC on useless brigades and units, and in taking advantage of gearing bonus, which USSR AI neither has the time to, nor the ability to use. Finally, Germany gets a historical +20% Speer. In the context of the above, the +60% for USSR is necessary, and still too little to allow for historical relative production levels, even with production time reductions in the Manpower doctrine tree. That’s why there is a need for such a large unit spam.

Unit Spam: IMO, Ideally the unit spam should be reduced, say to a max of 700 divisions or so, and rebalanced to hit earlier, so that USSR has a good chance of surviving into 1942.

GPW Combat Buffs: I don’t like unit-level imbalances. However, I would prefer some form of frozen/blizzard buff to represent the fact that Soviet uniforms/arms/equipment were better able to handle the Russian winter than their German counterparts.

No, that 25 percent malus is wartime modifier. As Soviets didn't enter a large scale war like Germany until June 1941, It didn't have any effect except for short durations of Polish invasion and Winter War. Default value of wartime modifier is 1.0 and Soviets reach that 1.0 with 0.25 bonus. 0.6 bonus makes it 1.35. With that 60 percent bonus, Soviets have higher IC than USA which is extremely unrealistic in my opinion. BTW, they don't really need ICs for free units as they cost only 0.1 IC. That will affect "natural" divisions built by Soviet AI. When Germany is also AI controlled, Soviets are given that normal 25 bonus.

I think Soviet superiority is already there with higher reorganization rate. When you are bogged down in winter, they don't allow you to reorganize with continuous attacks.

No, that 25 percent malus is wartime modifier. As Soviets didn't enter a large scale war like Germany until June 1941, It didn't have any effect except for short durations of Polish invasion and Winter War. Default value of wartime modifier is 1.0 and Soviets reach that 1.0 with 0.25 bonus. 0.6 bonus makes it 1.35.

Regarding wartime modifier, as you said, even with 0.25, their IC goes to 1.00... so I still wouldn't consider it a buff, but a neutralization of the nerf.

With that 60 percent bonus, Soviets have higher IC than USA which is extremely unrealistic in my opinion.

I agree it's unrealistic. USA IC should be much higher than 600 - it should be ~ Germany + USSR + UK in 1941, even more later on, with a large proportion going to consumer goods + lend-lease for (at least) balance purposes.

BTW, they don't really need ICs for free units as they cost only 0.1 IC. That will affect "natural" divisions built by Soviet AI. When Germany is also AI controlled, Soviets are given that normal 25 bonus.

I realize IC is only for "natural" divisions, so I agree that SOV bonus should be <60% when it's AI vs. AI. In these situations, poor AI queue and gearing bonus management affects both Germany and USSR. Even in this case though, Germany's queue should be less efficient than the Soviet one (historical - for example, USSR prioritized efficient production of a few tank models, while Germany prioritized building newer tank models/ greater equipment variety). The only way to show this (because AI is dumb) is to give SOVs more IC, say, 30-35% instead of 25% bonus in AI vs. AI. (IIRC, Guderian mentions in his memoirs that while he was Inspector General of Armoured Troops, he had wanted the Germans to have a tank like the T-34 compared to the loss of efficiencies brought by constant retooling due to Hitler's preference for new/heavy tanks)

When AI SOV vs. Human Germany though, I support the 60% to compensate for the additional AI disadvantages against an efficient human queue (so, in this case, inefficient SOV vs. efficient GER, opposite of historical) + human tendency to push the central planning slider (costing SOV's 25% relative advantage). In other words, let me do the math:

60%:
25% compensates for wartime malus.
10% compensates for historically more-efficient Soviet que. (see above)
25% compensates for AI inability to use gearing bonus + efficient human German queue (so now SOV queue efficiency is equal)
Not enough to compensate for tendency of human Germany to push the IC slider to central planning faster than Germany would IRL, reducing Soviet's 25% bonus. Free unit spam helps with this.

I think Soviet superiority is already there with higher reorganization rate. When you are bogged down in winter, they don't allow you to reorganize with continuous attacks.

I've never experienced that. When I get attacked, I tend to give ground in a few days unless I can get 5:1+ casualty ratios, or unless I really need the SOV divisions tied, or unless I really need to hold that specific province. What this does is 1: De-organizes Soviet attackers (battle+movement), 2: Keeps my units at high org (loss from battle, made-up during retreat). 3. Exposes Soviets to encirclements because a) Frontline is extended and b) Local SOV front looses rear guard.

Also, regarding Reorg rate, it is a factor of at least morale + province infra + (IIRC, something else, don't remember what (what role does GDE play in org loss?))... SOV units in 1941 have the same morale as German units -> 13; in 1943 -> SOV: 20 vs. GER 18. Not a big difference. There is a difference in that the victor suffers lower Org due to 1) attacking vs. retreating and 2 - re-org on a lower-infra territory; In 1941 the victor is usually Germany...
However, I don't see how that is related to my support for a cold weather boost for Russian troops - I support such a bonus because Russians had superior cold-weather equipment, this is a winter-specific bonus; any reorg benefit from doctrines affects troops all-year-round (unless it's a blizzard move/frozen move/etc, which isn't used in Soviet doctrine). Maybe lock winter equipment tech for Germany until 1942 and give Russia blueprint?

Your ideas are good, Stuka, but if you are giving so much militia to USSR militia should be nerfed a little bit : they are performing very well during winter and in the rugged grounds.

Regarding wartime modifier, as you said, even with 0.25, their IC goes to 1.00... so I still wouldn't consider it a buff, but a neutralization of the nerf.

I agree it's unrealistic. USA IC should be much higher than 600 - it should be ~ Germany + USSR + UK in 1941, even more later on, with a large proportion going to consumer goods + lend-lease for (at least) balance purposes.

I realize IC is only for "natural" divisions, so I agree that SOV bonus should be <60% when it's AI vs. AI. In these situations, poor AI queue and gearing bonus management affects both Germany and USSR. Even in this case though, Germany's queue should be less efficient than the Soviet one (historical - for example, USSR prioritized efficient production of a few tank models, while Germany prioritized building newer tank models/ greater equipment variety). The only way to show this (because AI is dumb) is to give SOVs more IC, say, 30-35% instead of 25% bonus in AI vs. AI. (IIRC, Guderian mentions in his memoirs that while he was Inspector General of Armoured Troops, he had wanted the Germans to have a tank like the T-34 compared to the loss of efficiencies brought by constant retooling due to Hitler's preference for new/heavy tanks)

When AI SOV vs. Human Germany though, I support the 60% to compensate for the additional AI disadvantages against an efficient human queue (so, in this case, inefficient SOV vs. efficient GER, opposite of historical) + human tendency to push the central planning slider (costing SOV's 25% relative advantage). In other words, let me do the math:

60%:
25% compensates for wartime malus.
10% compensates for historically more-efficient Soviet que. (see above)
25% compensates for AI inability to use gearing bonus + efficient human German queue (so now SOV queue efficiency is equal)
Not enough to compensate for tendency of human Germany to push the IC slider to central planning faster than Germany would IRL, reducing Soviet's 25% bonus. Free unit spam helps with this.

I've never experienced that. When I get attacked, I tend to give ground in a few days unless I can get 5:1+ casualty ratios, or unless I really need the SOV divisions tied, or unless I really need to hold that specific province. What this does is 1: De-organizes Soviet attackers (battle+movement), 2: Keeps my units at high org (loss from battle, made-up during retreat). 3. Exposes Soviets to encirclements because a) Frontline is extended and b) Local SOV front looses rear guard.

Also, regarding Reorg rate, it is a factor of at least morale + province infra + (IIRC, something else, don't remember what (what role does GDE play in org loss?))... SOV units in 1941 have the same morale as German units -> 13; in 1943 -> SOV: 20 vs. GER 18. Not a big difference. There is a difference in that the victor suffers lower Org due to 1) attacking vs. retreating and 2 - re-org on a lower-infra territory; In 1941 the victor is usually Germany...
However, I don't see how that is related to my support for a cold weather boost for Russian troops - I support such a bonus because Russians had superior cold-weather equipment, this is a winter-specific bonus; any reorg benefit from doctrines affects troops all-year-round (unless it's a blizzard move/frozen move/etc, which isn't used in Soviet doctrine). Maybe lock winter equipment tech for Germany until 1942 and give Russia blueprint?

1) Yes, default value is 1.0 and Soviets obtain that wartime modifier without any losses. I don't just give them "extra" as their production costs are already quite low and further bonuses make them stronger than USA.
2) Is winter attack-defense-offense modifiers of Germany and Russia same in 1941 ? If they are, i think you are right, winter bonuses against Soviets would be a justified change.
3) I am in favor of more cheap units instead of long-term IC bonus. In the end, they will serve the same purpose but i want ICs to be as historical as possible.

FYI: 1 point of morale is a 1% increase in organization regeneration. Therefore, the difference in morale between manpower and mobility is rather small if it is 18 vs 20. Terrain, infra would have a higher impact on org regain than morale.
Also yes, militia is becoming less effective. We are reducing their stats a small amount and increasing vulnerability. This was because militia + art was too close in hard/soft attack stats to infantry+art while being significantly cheaper.