Paradox Unveils New Europa Universalis IV Mini Expansion to the Public

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While more internal management is nice, I find it hard to trust any DLC after the previous ones, let alone the patches.

Plus I thought this was a game about conquest, and internal management was omitted by design. :p

I like it, so far. I hope there will be more of such group-of-nations-focused DLC. Maybe theocracies next.

eu4_res_publica_packshot.jpg

Seems like Maurice of Nassau, Prince of Orange is the "posterboy" for this new DLC.

2u458g1.jpg
I'm looking forward to more Dutch Republic flavor! :)

Last edited:
Hang on, is this right? Doesn't EUIV already have republican dictatorship, or something I'm missing?

This sounds quite exciting though.

The mechanics are changed: when a Republic's RT falls too low, it transforms into a Dictatorship which is now a republic where one rules for life. If RT gets reduced further (via events and such), it transforms into a Monarchy.

Considering we still have bugs and problems with previous DLC (American Dream) but pushing out new content takes priority apparently, expect things that need fixing to not be.

Of course it takes priority: patches don't generate revenue. And you do need money to make patches.
In other words, if you don't generate revenue, you need to reduce the resources spent on patching and testing and later end the game support for good.

I think the issue is that, after reading the announcement, I still have no real sense of what this DLC will cover. Looks like a couple of features for the least widespread government forms... but what else is there?

Check Johan's tread on here. Someone posted a list of features there.

But... this is already in the game.

It means that the old one was scrapped and replaced with a new one with the same name.

Hmm, sounds interesting, however I feel its too soon...
There are still quite a few issues to sort out and polish in the current build of the game

However, as long as its all fixed before release, I wont mind

I love how it will give the Dutch Republic a more accurate government. It was quite a complicated country politics wise so I wonder how they will do it.

From the looks of it it will also feature the Dutch-Anglo wars as events. Good stuff.

Hi Paradox,
Is it possible to add chartered area in Caribbean Islands in order to setup West India Company since in history, they were founded by European countries? And also is it possible to make trade companies being capable of hiring mercenaries/pirates?
Best,
G.

That's exactly what I wanted :) Where I can preorder and what's the release date?

This sounds like feature creep DLC. Like these were stretch goals for the last expansion that were not reached. Not like I'm complaining mind you. If anything its better that it got its own DLC if that's what happened.

This summer? I don't know about Sweden but summer has definitely already started here. Maybe you would like to take some more time on this and put it out for Q4? No need to rush, we're unlikely to go anywhere.

5$ for things that would have been free in a patch a few years ago

i guess paradox is really liking their new DLC policy of nickle and diming customers.

What? The DLC policy is what started the whole "Free Features" policy in the first place. The pre-CK2 era never had any major features given for free.
With that said, it was not even told that all these features are to be payed. The new idea groups may likely end up being free due to their nature.

>this is what EvW got cancelled for

What the hell does this have to do with EvW?

In the EU3 regime, an update of this scale would have had to wait until there was enough other stuff to add another full-size expansion.

i guess paradox is really liking their new DLC policy of nickle and diming customers.
Nothing major would've been included for free a few years ago. Balancing, yes; some easy minor features, maybe; and bug squishing, yes. But they've changed the business model around rather substantially, and, for better or for worse, it's driven by new content and new features.

I don't really mind being nicked and dimed, per se. But I seriously object to having so many "WTF, this can't be WAD" moments after being nickeled and dimed.