• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Andre Massena

Warrior-Representative Fanatic
43 Badges
Sep 23, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
Fraticelli For the Win- A Heresy AAR​

Playing CK2 has really ignited my interest in religion and especially heresies. One of the heresies that always stuck out to me was Fraticelli because I am seemingly offered to convert to it every ten years or so by an errant court chaplain. I have always been tempted to convert for the fun of it, but chose not too. Now I have decided to take a great leap forward and start the game as a Fraticelli!

But this is not just any random Fraticelli, this is the supposed founder of the Fraticelli sect, Angelo da Clareno. Let's get some background on the Fraticelli and Angelo straight from Wikipedia:

The Fraticelli ("Little Brethren") or Spiritual Franciscans were extreme proponents of the rule of Saint Francis of Assisi, especially with regard to poverty, and regarded the wealth of the Church as scandalous, and that of individual churchmen as invalidating their status. They were thus forced into open revolt against the whole authority of the Church and were declared heretical in 1296 by Boniface VIII.

The name Fraticelli is used for various heretical sects, which appeared in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, principally in Italy, that separated from the Franciscan Order on account of the disputes concerning poverty.

The origin of the Fraticelli and the cause of their growth within and without the Franciscan Order must be sought in the history of the Spirituals. It must suffice here to note that in consequence of St. Francis's severe requirements concerning the practice of poverty, his followers divided into two branches, the Zelanti, or Spirituals, and the Relaxati, known later as the Conventuals. The popes of the thirteenth century intervened to bring about harmony between the two factions, and Gregory IX, Innocent IV, and Nicholas III gave in their Bulls authoritative explanations of the points at issue. But the differences were not fully adjusted nor was unity ever completely restored between the Spirituals and the main body of the order, the Community (Fratres de Communitate).

The first Fraticelli group was begun by Brother Angelo da Clareno (or da Cingoli). Angelo and several brethren from the March of Ancona had been condemned (c. 1278) to imprisonment for life, but were liberated by the general of the order, Raimondo Gaufredi (1289–95) and sent to Armenia, where the king, Hethum II, welcomed them. The local clergy, however, were less enthusiastic, and following popular agitations against them they were exiled from Armenia towards the end of 1293.[2]

They returned to Italy, where in 1294 Celestine V, noted for his asceticism but whose pontificate lasted scarcely six months, willingly permitted them to live as hermits in the strict observance of the Rule of St. Francis. After the abdication of Celestine V, his successor, Boniface VIII, revoked all Celestine's concessions, and they emigrated to Greece, where some of them attacked the legality of the papal action. As the pope, through the Patriarch of Constantinople, caused active measures to be taken against them, they fled to Italy, where their leader, Fra Liberatus, attempted a vindication of their rights, first with Boniface VIII (d. 11 October 1303), and then with Benedict XI, who also died prematurely (7 July 1304). On his journey to Clement V (1305–14) at Lyon, Liberatus died (1307), and Angelo da Clareno succeeded to the leadership of the community. He remained in Central Italy until 1311, when he went to Avignon, where he was protected by his patrons Cardinals Giacomo Colonna and Napoleone Orsini Frangipani.

Early in 1317 John XXII, pursuant to a decree of Boniface VIII, declared Angelo excommunicated and placed him in custody. He defended himself ably in his "Epistola Excusatoria", representing himself as a zealous Franciscan, but John XXII refused to admit his plea, Angelo being a Celestine hermit, and in the decree "Sancta Romana et universalis ecclesia" (30 December 1317) refused to authorize the congregation of which Angelo was head.

Angelo submitted temporarily, but in 1318 fled to Central Italy, where, acting as Minister General, he assumed charge of the congregation dissolved by the pope. He appointed provincials, ministers and custodians, established new friaries, arrogated all authority, issued pastoral letters, and received novices—in a word, he founded an independent Franciscan Order, the Fraticelli.

His adherents professed themselves to be the original Friars Minor. They denied that John XXII was really pope, as he had abrogated the Rule of St. Francis, which, according to their doctrine, represented the pure and simple Gospel. They asserted that his decrees were invalid, all other religious and prelates were damned, and that the commission of mortal sin deprived priests of the sacerdotal dignity and powers. (These views were brought out in the trials to which the imprisoned adherents of Fra Angelo were subjected by the inquisitors, especially in 1334. In the processes of these trials and in numerous papal Bulls they are called, as a rule, Fraticelli seu fratres de paupere vitâ or "Brothers of the Poor Life'.)

As appears from the papal Bulls, the followers of Angelo established themselves in Central Italy, i.e., in the province of Rome, Umbria, and the March of Ancona, and also in Southern Italy (Campagna, Basilicata, and Naples). Fra Angelo enjoyed the protection of the Abbot of Subiaco although John XXII (21 February., 1334) commanded the guardian of the cloister at Aracoeli to imprison Angelo, "the demented heretic who styles himself general of the condemned sect of the Fraticelli". Equally unsuccessful had been a papal warrant issued for his arrest (22 November 1331), when he fled to Southern Italy.

Angelo died 15 July 1337, and the congregation, deprived of its leader, loosely organized to begin with, and hard pressed by the Inquisition, seem to have split into a number of groups each holding its own doctrines, though it is impossible to exactly determine their origin. In addition, after the controversy regarding poverty broke out (1321–28), all the Fraticelli showed a stronger opposition to the papacy. (Angelo da Clareno was later venerated as a worker of miracles.)

We're going to change history and pick up the story in 1296. Angelo and his followers have been declared heretics, but the generous hunchback King Charles II of Naples has given him refuge as well as the county of Foggia.

Goals for this AAR:
-Keep the da Clareno dynasty Fraticelli
-Create the Fraticelli papacy
-Spread the doctrine of Fraticellinism wherever possible!

Our adventures start with this man:

VJRueFO.png

More to come....

Good luck.

Chapter 1: Stairway to Foggia

January 1, 1296
Castel Nuovo, Naples

nLbsqfT.png

“There’s a catch, however,” the hunchback King Charles II said, smirking.
Angelo began to sweat profusely. He desperately wanted this conversation, as he was sure he had never partook in a conversation this long before. Can’t the king be done with it?
“Whatttt is it?” Angelo asked, stammering.
“I will place the county of Foggia under your care.”

I can do that, Angelo thought to himself.

“In your family’s name- for perpetuity,” the king said, smiling. “Do you understand what I am saying?”
“I don’t believe I do, Your Highness,” Angelo replied.
“I am requesting that you give up this silly “celibacy” ordeal. Find a wife to plant your seed in. Maybe she will be beautiful, maybe she won’t be, I don’t care. As long as she is fertile. I want the da Clarenos to rule Foggia in my name for eternity!”
“But…Your Highness! I swore a sacred vow! I am a monk!”
“Yes, yes, I know. But you’ll just switch to another vow? How hard can it be? And you can still do all your monk nons- I mean uh rituals with your fellow brothers. You can still live a life of poverty and all that wonderful stuff. As long as you pass on Foggia to your children. Oh, and make sure your descendants are always Fraticelli, of course! We want to piss off the Holy ‘Father’ for the rest of time!”

Angelo began to stammer uncontrollably. He was relieved when the King of Naples had given him shelter after the Pope, the wicked Boniface VIII, had declared him a heretic. What misery most of his life had been. He had followed the Gospel to the letter, living a life of poverty like he was supposed to, yet the nobles chased him out wherever he went whether it was in Greece, Armenia, France, or Italy. Finally, it seemed like there was a highborn who understood. But of course not, no noble could. And now this crazy king wanted Angelo to sacrifice his vows and become a noble himself! What madness! Obviously Charles was not as generous as he seemed, since he seemed to be using Angelo for his own ends with some ridiculous power struggle against the Pope. And look at that disgusting hunch on his back!

Brother Raimond interrupted his stuttering and said, “Brother Angelo, I suggest you accept this offer. True, it is a difficult thing to give up a vow. But think of all the good that can be done. Let me ask you, what do you think will happen to our order once you are gone?”

Gl5L6tG.png

“I umm, I don’t know,” Angelo replied.
“We will be gone without you! The Fraticelli way of life dies when you die. Now you have a chance to pass it on for perpetuity. And the Fraticelli will always have a safe haven. Think of all that we can accomplish now that time is on our side! I wager that we could convince the whole Italian peninsula to abandon the corrupt ways of the papacy in fifty years’ time now if you accept this order.
“Well, I am not sure…”

Angelo thought to himself for a few moments. Brother Raimond did make quite a bit of sense as he always did. To give up his vows would be unseemly…but there was nothing saying he could not still live like a monk and a Fraticelli. After all, they no longer followed the rule of the Pope. He could make up his own doctrines and rules, provided they followed the example of the Gospels. And the Fraticelli could live on forever in Foggia! No more running, no more persecution, no more fear. Provided the kings of Naples shared Charles’ views on religion and the papacy…but that would be an issue for future generations to worry about. Angelo did not want to worry anymore!

“I will accept. I will become Count of Foggia!”
“Excellent, excellent!” Charles replied. “I knew you would come around.”
“When do I begin?”
“Right now. Good luck! May the Lord be with you.”

January 14, 1296
Monastery of Siponto

YNBDrwa.jpg

“First, you must select a bride,” Brother Raimond said.
“But I don’t know any women!” Angelo responded. Nor have I ever talked to one, he thought.
“Ah, not to worry, my friend! I have composed a list of suitable brides whose fathers- I mean who very much want to marry you.”
“What would I do without you, Brother Raimond?”
“Here, take a look at the list.”
Angelo looked.
“There are only ten names on here. Somehow I thought there would be more.”
“Ten more than could have been expected, my friend! After all, not many people would be rushing to marry a heretic ex-monk in his forties. But obviously some people are drown to your title- I mean strength of character. I suggest you choose the one on top, Judith.”
“Why her?”
“She is the daughter of the merchant prince of the Hansa, so she would give you an alliance with them that could be useful if King Charles ever changes my mind. She is also reportedly well-skilled in the art of secrecy and intrigue, something that can come in handy in a monastery of honest monks. Also, she is fairly easy on the eyes, which will make it easier for you to plant your seed in her.”
“Well, ok then. I choose her.”

UUlBQyZ.png

vwH0cJb.png

“Next, you must choose a council,” Raimond told Angelo.
“How do I do that?” Angelo asked.
“Just pick anyone you want.”
“What does a council even look like?”
“Well, there are always five members on a council.”
“Why five? What if I wanted six of seven.”
“Sorry, you have to have five. I don’t make these rules. Apparently the Swedes started the custom, but everyone follows it now, even the Muslims.”
“Alright, fine, I’ll go with five. This council seems a lot like the apostles!”
“Um, yeah, sure, whatever you want to compare it to. First you must choose a chancellor.”
“What does a chancellor do?”

Raimond sighed exasperatedly.

“The chancellor is in charge of the realm’s diplomacy. He meets nobles around your lands and convinces everyone he meets of the wisdom of his liege. He can also forge-I mean press the rightful claims of his liege on someone.”
“Who would do something so devious! What a breach of the Gospels.”
“Not to worry, it is just something I’ve heard of. Just keep it in mind. Generally, the chancellor is the right-hand man of his liege and his closest advisor.”

Raimond began to inch closer and closer to Angelo.

“That’s an easy choice then! I choose you, Brother Raimond.”
“Thank you, my liege. What an excellent choice! Next you should choose a marshal.”
“I don’t know anyone who is good at fighting. Most of the brothers here have only gone outside once in the past five years.”
“I have everything taken care of. I recommend you choose my brother, Raimond. He is excellent at fighting and he is trained in combat as a knight.”
“I didn’t know you had a brother, Brother Raimond.”
“Yes, I do have a brother. But he is not a Brother.”
“Well, I choose your brother, Raimond, Brother Raimond.”

2S5mjsv.png

“Excellent! Just three more positions to fill. You must choose a spymaster who prevents you from being assassinated and can…well, don’t worry about it. You must also pick a steward, who takes care of your finances. And finally, a court chaplain, who will help spread the doctrine of the Fraticelli.”
“You said my future wife is good at intrigue? I suppose I will choose her as spymaster. I don’t think any of the monks would do well in such an…unseemly position.”
“Quite right, quite right. Praying thirty times a day and eating once every two days is quite good for the soul, but it is quite bad for intrigue.”
“For steward I will choose Brother Ancelmes since he was the only one in Armenia to not get robbed of all his money.”

9A3j4oa.png

“Another excellent choice.”
“And for chaplain I will pick Brother Ciro. His grasp of theology is quite masterful, as he has memorized all the works of Saint Augustine and the works of Saint Benedict. It will do him good to get away from the monastery for a while since he has driven most of the other brothers crazy with his paranoia.”

7nzPpnf.png

“Well, you can never be too careful I suppose, haha. Good choices. I think we are off to an excellent start, my liege!”
“I think it is time to go to sixth morning prayer, then.”
Just then, the pair heard a knock at the door. Brother Ugues entered the room and handed Raimond a message. Raimond took the message and read it.
“What does it say?” Angelo asked.
“Urgent news!” Raimond replied. “It appears that King Charles has declared war on the Genoese Republic for Nice! And the Pope has declared a Crusade for Jerusalem!

O4tnufC.png

GoD7lFb.png

eg1K0nF.png

Well things seem to be off to an unprecedented start.

I had a chuckle reading about Brother Raimond's brother Raimond.

Hope you get many chuckles to come out of this AAR

You can't write about a group of lunatic monks too seriously (apologies to any Fraticelli out there). Although Brother Raimond seems to know what
s what.

I discovered that there is a console command to change religions so I hope you all don't mind if I do that for most of my courtiers. It doesn't really make sense for them to be Catholic IG, obviously :laugh:. I think I will leave my vassal bishop Catholic IG until the province is fully converted but pretend he is just another Fraticelli brother in the AAR, though.

Last edited:
Historical Background I

This AAR may be fun and games but there was some serious stuff happening at the time.

Historical Background: Naples, France, and Boniface VIII

Charles d'Anjou was the youngest son of King Louis VIII of France and the youngest brother of Louis IX. Charles conquered the Kingdom of Sicily with Pope Urban IV's blessing, who sought to separate Sicily from the Holy Roman Empire, and reluctant support from his older brother (Charles was offered the crown of Sicily before from Pope Innocent IV but Charles' brother did not allow it). After conquering Sicily, Charles sought to revive the Latin Empire and attacked the Byzantines in the 1280s. Unfortunately for Charles, Sicily (the island) rebelled during the Sicilian Vespers and sought to give Peter III of Aragon the Sicilian throne. War dragged on between Aragon and France/Naples for years and Charles died in 1285, his son captured and his fleets destroyed.

index.php

Charles I

Charles II (or "The Lame") was released by Peter III on the condition that he maintain only the throne of Naples. Both Charles II and the French went back on the agreement with a papal blessing from Martin IV and tried to reconquer Sicily in the Sicilian Crusade (with help from Peter III's brother, the future James II), though this attempt was unsuccessful. Charles died in 1309 and the Capetian dynasty would never regain Sicily.

Charles_2_of_Naples.jpg

Charles II

Pope Boniface VIII was elected Pope in 1294 with influence from Charles II after he played a large part in forcing the resignation of the pious Celestine V. Boniface was a strong supporter of the Capetian claim on Sicily and helped arrange the alliance between James and Charles and excommunicating King Frederick III of Aragon, the son of Peter. This does not mean he was a Capet puppet, however. Boniface, “put forward some of the strongest claims to temporal, as well as spiritual, power of any Pope and constantly involved himself with foreign affairs. In his Bull of 1302, Unam Sanctam, Boniface VIII proclaimed that it ‘is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman pontiff’, pushing papal supremacy to its historical extreme.” This put him into direct conflict with the Holy Roman Empire and the ambitious King Phillip IV of France, who sought to consolidate the power of the French monarchy over his kingdom, including the French clergy. Boniface was captured by French forces after he claimed that spiritual and temporal power were under the Pope’s jurisdiction in Unam Sanctam. He was released after probably being severely beaten and soon killed himself. The papacy began to fall under French sway as the papal court moved to Avignon.

Bonifatius_viii_papst.jpg

Pope Boniface VIII

Celestine V, Boniface’s successor, was a pious monk who was elected under pressure from Charles II after the papal conclave found itself at an impasse for two years. Celestine had founded the Celestines, a group of hermit monks, before he became pope. Thus, he was very generous to Angelo and his followers and allowed them to return to Italy from Armenia and live as hermit monks under the rule of Saint Francis. However, Boniface (who was Cardinal Caetani at the time) helped pressure the pious Celestine to resign and Caetani was elevated to the papacy as Boniface VIII. Boniface imprisoned the poor Celestine and revoked all of Celestine’s acts (besides the ability for the pope to resign, of course). The Fraticelli, who very inconveniently for Boniface viewed the wealth and temporal power of the Church as sinful, were declared heretical. From then on, Angelo and the Fraticelli were church outlaws, outside the law of Rome.
Once again, I am going to change history a bit. I am going to say that Boniface’s feud with France took place right away in 1295, which would give Charles II a reason to feel betrayed that the man he helped support would now attack his dynasty’s privilege and power. Thus, Charles II agrees to shelter the Fraticelli in order to piss of Boniface in this timeline.

hat-a091368cf905870dfd695ca36cca42cc4202efbf-s6-c30.jpg

Pope Celestine V

Once again, I am going to change history a bit. I am going to say that Boniface’s feud with France took place right away in 1295, which would give Charles II a reason to feel betrayed that the man he helped support would now attack his dynasty’s privilege and power. Thus, Charles II agrees to shelter the Fraticelli in order to piss of Boniface in this timeline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I simplified a lot of that, of course, but I think it’s a decent overview. I pulled most of my facts from Wikipedia, so correct me if I made any errors.

Heretics and Demons can never be defeated! :cool:

Chapter 2: Love is a Battlefield

May 7, 1296
Siponto

Is this hell? Judith Luneburg wondered to herself.

“And so John the Dwarf listened to the orders of his superiors in his desert monastery,” Angelo preached to the assembled monks. It was the fifteenth prayer service of the day. Angelo required her to attend every one so that she may better “be in touch with the Lord.” “He wondered if they were a bit crazy when they ordered him to water a plank of wood, especially when retrieving the water would require a two mile trek every day in the middle of the desert. But John followed his superiors’ orders and kept his faith in God. And lo, his faith was rewarded, as the plank of wood grew into a beautiful tree that stands to this day. Let us follow the example of Saint John the Dwarf and renew our vows of obedience. Let us submit our wills to those of our superiors and most importantly, God.”

uNSRv8K.png

“Amen,” the monks responded in unison.
“Jesus, meek and humble of heart,
give all monks Thy spirit of humility;
Jesus, poor and worn out for souls,
give all monks Thy spirit of zeal…”

She could take no more. Judith stood up and ran out of the chapel while most of the monks glared at her. She ran to the outhouse, the only place she could be alone.

Judith sat down upon the makeshift wooden toilet. In Lubeck, her family had golden toilets and servants posted outside the washrooms. Now she had to crap on cockroach nests.

Suddenly, the wood beneath her began to buckle. Brother Barral was supposed to fix this, that blasted idiot, she thought. In a second, she came crashing down and fell into the cesspit. Dozens of cockroaches flew around her as she found herself covered in shit.

Is this hell?

June 1, 1296

“I think it is time you finally performed your husbandly duties,” Judith said to Angelo as they sat in their separate beds.
“Umm, I am a bit tired. Perhaps tomorrow?”
“You did nothing but pray today. You didn’t even copy any manuscripts.”
“I had a very distressing day. We received some dreadful news about pilgrims in the Holy Land.”
“Forget the Holy Land! My vagina is aching. I did not come all this way to this hellhole of a monastery to raise no children! And you must pass on the county to someone.”
“I must admit that I am not quite sure how to start.”
Judith laughed and said, “Did you see the book I left on your table. It explains everything.”

beTuWEa.png

“Yes, yes, it was quite an…enlightening piece of work. But I believe theory and practice are quite different, as Saint Augustine once wrote about…”
“Look: either we start tonight, or I will force myself on you.” How hard did this fool have to make it?

YxJxryF.png

Angelo began to sweat and tremble. “Well...”

Within seconds, Judith was on top of Angelo. She began thrusting violently while digging her knees into his groin. Angelo was petrified and had no idea what to do. But despite all the mental blockage of the female sex he performed in his life, despite his former vows, despite his ignorance about the mysterious ways of the female, and despite his current predicament, he could not help himself: his penis was erect. It was only a matter of time before the deed was done.

Angelo was quite miserable for the next months. Meanwhile, Judith began to tolerate the cockroaches.

eCO9beA.png

April 3, 1297

“It’s a boy!” the midwife exclaimed.

The monks cheered.

“God has blessed us,” Brother Ciro exclaimed.
“And now we-I mean your family will keep the county for another generation,” Brother Raimond said.

Angelo breathed a sigh of relief. It had been his ambition to have a son, for without one the Fraticelli would not have a home for the future. Now he could focus on living a holy life and becoming a paragon of virtue.

XjunNvs.png

75ETW5K.png

“He needs a name in order to inherit the county,” Raimond helpfully informed Angelo.

Angelo quickly turned at his wife.

“Don’t look at me. You are the count,” Judith said. And can’t these imbeciles see what kind of pain I am in? Please leave the goddamn room, she thought.

Angelo thought to himself. His father’s name was Angelo, and he didn’t know anyone else in his family, if he even had one. Perhaps he could name his son after one of the saints? But that might be blasphemous.

“I will name him- Angelo,” he said.

rgdGNqq.png

“How creative,” Judith replied. What a goddamn imbecile.

And you only have the rest of your life to live here, she thought again.

Judith wanted to cry.

Walking in a garden is a recipe for plotting, scheming, and betrayal! :p

Subscribed! This is well-written, Andre! What adventures will Angelo get in next, and will they involve breaking that darn vow of celibacy once more?