• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BlueWhale

Private
50 Badges
Jun 15, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Rome Gold
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Pillars of Eternity
To whom it may concern,

I am writing to encourage the further development of Sword of the Stars 2 (SotS2). I am aware of the less than ideal release and have visited the developers forums and read back into your forums here. I've also conducted Google searches to get Paradox public releases and such like.

I'm not here to place blame and I'm not here to dictate your business to you.

To whit: I'm just a gamer, I don't make games...but I want to ensure that you guys know what you and the developers are sitting on here because I routinely run into players of the game who fail to understand how much potential this engine has to do truly new things in computer strategy gaming.

SotS2 has at least 3 revolutionary features that I am aware of that are just waiting to come out and reinvigorate this genre:
1 A simulated population that thinks for itself, if the player lets it, and does all sorts of interesting things on its own. Frankly, this feature alone is enough to change the way people play this kind of game. The fact that my "people" will colonize a random star system near the enemy without asking my permission unless I take steps to restrain them is a feature that should have been in this kind of game years ago. It adds replayability, realism, and a deeper sense of leading a civilization vice manipulating a spreadsheet than any other computer wargame I've ever played.

2. Government type chosen by player action. Even Sid Meier hasn't done this. There is more to a government choice than a radio button and paying some kind of penalty. The player has to work at it. This both adds another level of strategy to the game and increases player immersion/involvement by investing them in the "civilization" they're leading.

3. A ship to ship combat model with armor, structure, and components mapped in 3D, all targetable by player action or even by the AI. This makes the tactical battle game alone better than 90% of the dedicated titles in that admittedly limited genre. I've played space tactical wargames since 1982. They are my favorite type of game hands down. SotS2's tactical engine is probably the most playable I've ever seen. I prefer it to the Homeworld series, honestly...because the SotS2 ships make sense.

And I'm not even trying very hard here. I could find more.

Look, I'll admit ignorance of the market conditions under which games like SotS2 have to compete...maybe I'm wrong and there is no business case. But I cannot believe that games like Sins of a Solar Empire and SotS 1 have done more than whet the appetite of a fan base that wishes someone would take the next leap. From reading the dev forums it looks like the companies involved are sitting and waiting instead of taking that leap. I do NOT pretend to understand why and I'm NOT writing to tell you your business.

I am writing because I think it is possible that you as a publishing house might not realize how potentially revolutionary this game is. I say that because I continuously run into players that don't recognize what this engine can do. The reason that they cannot is that the game's user interface and documentation are not as polished and easy to use as in the previous title. So the player doesn't really know that his civilians are going to surprise him from time to time. She cannot see her choices affecting her government type in the cool little "news" picture + text popups the previous game used. The diplomatic model isn't providing the nuanced feedback that the first title's did...so its improvements are also not readily apparent to the player.

If the team could just get it to the same level of interface ease of use that SotS1 had when it was done, document all the features both in the manual and finish the excellent ingame encyclopedia, if the right kind of public outreach occurred from a developer and a publisher that both know how to do that, and if a stream of new content could be built on this engine, I am certain that this game could sell a lot more units over a very long period of time.

I'm serious: you guys beat Sid Meier to the punch in a 4x title. You've got to follow up on that!

v/r
BW

I cannot agree more with you. This game is a true gem of 4x. Let me add several points to your list:
3a. Armor\section system, targetable components, special abilities(espicially psionics) - all makes tactical combat more entertaining than that in HW or Nexus.
4. Totally diffirenet races in terms of global\tactical strategy, research priorities and expansion. I haven't found another space game, where races would have different means of ftl travel.
5. Replayability. If you take in take into account randomized tech tree, 7 playbale factions and multiplayer, it's possible to spend hundreds of hours in this game and still find something new in each match.

Even without new expansions SotS2 is good, all it needs is a little more polishing like fixing critical bugs and detailed in-game documentation for new players.

I agree completely. Original SotS is considered classic in all sense, but it took 3 expansions to get it there. Besides Distant Worlds, this is the only 4x game that is interesting and original enough to be remembered really (and that I, who've played 4x games since Master of Orion, play) and in it's current state it's not only playable, it's fun. Paradox should really give this one more chance. Feeling that I get from discontinuation of this game is like when really good scifi show that's just getting started (*cough*firefly*cough*) get cancelled.

Also agree 100%.

I dearly hope Paradox will take responsibility and sort out this situation. Sure, SotS2 is now playable, but it won't take much to make it into the polished gem of the 4X genre it can be!

How much does an expansion/upgrade cost? How many people have already said they'd gladly pay for it? Kerberos is willing, the fans are willing. We're all waiting for Paradox.

Not going to happen. SOTS2 has a horrendous reputation given its launch issues (I've heard that this was Paradox's fault and I've heard that this was Kerberos' fault. From what I understand the game's launch date had already been extended twice, which, if true, means it is mostly on Kerberos), and was a major commercial disaster for Paradox. There is no business case for bringing this train wreck back from the dead.

Last edited:
As Ivashanko says paradox lost money on this game,so the chance of a new sots is quite small.

I bought this game on steam, tried to play it first day with a friend couldnt even do it.

At launch the game was a total train wreck, multiplayer didnt work at all for most, such a shame as sots 1 multiplayer was damn good.

its a shame it became like this as they had some nice ideas for exp packs, with ground invasions and so on.

Man RIP Kerberos they got cold feet and now Im not sure they could make a new 4x if they tried. The Pit, Groundbounders, and now some new giant monster thing they're coming out with, all of them lack the vision and daring it took to make SOTS 1 and 2. Its a real pity since even SOTS2 was a brilliant failure hell I have over 30 hours logged and cant even play the thing I just look at it and see the potential that is unfortunately strangled by poor implementation. Their latest titles are too bland for words RIP.

With my whole heart, I agree with OP. I just now installed SotS2 again, slapped 2 mods on, to make the game a bit more playable and I can't say there is any other 4x game out there that simulates what SotS or SotS2 does. Most of the currently released 4x space games are simply not up to par or very disappointing. I.e GalCiv3 or Sid Meier's Star Ships, both so far a failure in my opinion. Home World Remastered came out recently as well and it's a great old gem, now with pretty graphics, but it's not a true 4x game and lacks the depths of SoT2. Besides that we got a bunch of Indie 4x space games and not a single one of those is even remotely playable with satisfaction. I have hopes for The Mandate, even spend money on their kick-starter which I rarely do and which I absolutely want to succeed.

However Paradox, I can tell you right now and without any doubt, with your reputation behind a renewed effort into the SotS series, I would pledge and not a small amount. Even with all it's bugs and rough edges, Sots2 is still a fantastic game I come back to on a regular basis. In my Steam library there are close to a 100 games in the "dump" folder, games I will very likely never install again, and another 100 in a folder "wasn't too bad", which I might install again. I got a Top 20 games folder and in that are both SotS and SotS 2. SoT2 might not be in there if we had a few more passable 4x space games with similar features, however we don't have such a game. So there it is, even with all it's issues, SoT2 is still in my top 20 games.

Last edited: