[The Resistance XXIII] (Avalon) The Imperial Spy Headquarters!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AsdfeZxcas

Contrarian
12 Badges
Jun 21, 2013
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Darkest Hour
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
THE RESISTANCE XXIII: AVALON
THE EMPIRE

For years, the Empire has kept stablity in the land. By sending out spies to various resistance groups, they have managed to keep them down, preventing any real threat to the Empire's power. Nothing could challange the Empire! That is, until one day, when some members of the resistance infiltrated the Imperial Spy Headquarters... No, not you! You're the loyal Imperial spies that have to clear them out, do your job, and destroy the resistance, once and for all!

Game Setup

This is a game for 5 to 10 players. After sign-ups are closed, each player will be either on the side of Spy (Resistance) or Resistance (Spies) . Distribution of these allegiances depends on the number of players:

Players5678910
Spies344566
Resistance 223334

All on the side of Resistance will be told the names of their companions, while the Spies receive no further information.

Furthermore, one member of the Spies will be given the role of informant, while one member of Resistance will be the Assassin. Depending on the amount of players, other roles may be assigned as well (see below).

The GM will randomly determine the order of Leadership.

Game Play

The game consists of between three and five missions.

Gather the Team

First, a team must be gathered to go on the mission. The size of the mission depends on the number of players and which mission is being attempted, according to the following table:

Players5678910
1st Mission222333
2nd Mission333444
3rd Mission243444
4th Mission334555
5th Mission344555

The current Leader must choose this many players and reveal their names in public. All players must then vote to either APPROVE or REJECT the proposed Team.

The Team is approved and goes on their Mission if they receive a majority of approvals (a tied vote means the Team is rejected). If the Team is rejected, Leadership passes to the next player in the order who will make a new proposal. Should there ever be 5 Teams rejected for the same Mission, then the Resistance wins the game immediately.

Voting may be done in private or in public. Once all votes are tallied, everyone's vote will be revealed.

Undertaking the Mission

Each player going on the Mission must either SUPPORT or SABOTAGE the Mission. The Spies must SUPPORT, the Resistance are free to SUPPORT or SABOTAGE at will.

The Mission is successful only if every member of the Team supports it; if one or more sabotages occur, the Mission fails. Note that with games of 7 players or more, the 4th Mission requires at least two sabotages to fail.

Supporting or sabotaging is done in private. Once all actions are tallied, only the tally is revealed and not who did what.

Victory

The Spies win when they complete 3 Missions successfully, unless the Assassin can find and kill the Informant.

The Resistance wins when they sabotage 3 Missions, when the Assasssin finds and kills the Informant, or when 5 Teams are rejected for the same Mission

Roles

All roles are optional except the Informant and the Assassin.

The Informant - Spies
At the start of the game, the Informant will be given the names of all the Resistance.

The Assassin - Resistance
At the end of the game, if the faction of Ulaid succeeds in 3 Quests, Ailill may guess which player is Lugh. If he is right, Connacht wins the game.

The Secretary - Spies
At the start of the game, the Secretary is given the name of the Informant.

New Member- Resistance
At the start of the game, the New Member's name is NOT given to the Informant.

The Lone Anarchist- Resistance
At the start of the game, the Anarchist's name is not given to the other members of the Resistance, nor is the Anarchist told the names of the other Resistance members.

Well Connected Resistance- Resistance
At the start of the game, his name is given to the Secretary in addition to the Assassin.

Traitor

There are always two players with the role of Traitor. One of them starts the game on the side of the the Spies while the other starts on the side of Resistance.
At the start of the game, the Resistance Traitor will have his name revealed to the Informant and the other members of Resistance, but will not be given any names. The other partisans of Resistance will also be told he is Traitor.
During the game, the two Traitors may swap sides, always remaining opposite one another (see below for the rules). During the game, they must follow all rules of their current allegiance (most notably, Spy Traitors may not sabotage a Quest).

Note that Roles are never revealed to other people, only names or allegiance (Spy/Resistance) with the sole exception of a Resistance Traitor.

For example, the Informant knows the names of all the Resistance members (except the New Member) but not what each player's Role might be. Similarly, the Secretary would receive the names of the Informant and the Well Connected Resistance without knowing which is which.

Optional Rules

The Traitor
The Traitor will either switch allegiance in a random manner or in a predetermined manner:

Random
5 cards are prepared, 2 that force the Traitors to switch and 3 that leave them their current allegiance.

After Quest 2, one card is drawn from this deck, shown to all players and then discarded. This is repeated after every subsequent quest.

Predetermined
7 cards are prepared, 2 that force the Traitor to switch and 5 that leave them their current allegiance.

At the start of the game after all names are revealed, the top 5 cards are drawn and shown to all players. The first card takes affect right before Quest 1, the second right before Quest 2, etc.

IMPORTANT! In this variant, the Resistance Traitor must sabotage any mission he is sent on.

Imperial Torture Device

The last player on the Leader list may start the game with a Imperial Torture Device.

Immediately after the 2nd, 3rd and 4th missions are resolved, the player with the Imperial Torture Device must choose another player, whose allegiance will be revealed to him in private. The Imperial Torture Device then passes to the targeted player.

The Imperial Torture Device may not be used on a player that has used it himself.

The Big Red Button

When the Leader proposes a Party, he must also assign the Button to one of the players he chose; he may not keep it for himself.

When the player who has the Button is sent on the mission, he may publicly select one other member of the Party after they have all chosen their actions. His action for that mission will be revealed privately to the player who had the Button and the opposite action will be counted for the Mission's result, ie. a sabotage will be counted as a support and vice-versa.

Note that this does not change what actions a player on a mission can take. The spies may still only choose to support, but the Button may afterwards turn that into a sabotage.

Formalities

No communication between players about the game may happen outside the public thread. PMs between players are NOT allowed, neither are phone calls, talking in another thread, letting things slip while having a drink, etc. Do not talk about the Resistance.

Each player is solely responsible for clearly communicating to the GM and the other players. Making things like votes and party proposals stand out by using colors, bold text, bigger fonts and such is strongly encouraged. If anything gets missed, it is the fault of the player who did not make himself clear enough.

Votes for or against a mission may happen in public or private. Only the last vote will be counted (based on the timestamp).

In order to make the game move smoother, it is strongly recommended to PRELOAD your support or sabotage of the mission while the team is being voted on. This allows the GM to make a single update, counting the votes and handling the quest all at once.

If a player becomes absent, the GM reserves the right to replace him.
If a player fails to vote, the GM reserves the right to close the vote without him.
If a player fails to provide a Quest action, the GM reserves the right to default the action to support if the player is of the Spies and sabotage if the player is of the Resistance.
If a player fails to propose a Party, the GM reserves the right to move on to the next Leader in the order.

Keep in mind that this is my first game, so there may be some minor hiccups.

Last edited:
Last edited:
In

Though you may want to edit some of the roles since some of them are described the same as the Connacht game.

Don't mind me, just here to poop on this thread.

In

In

I tried it once. Didn't get it.
I tend to just out myself as a baddie, no matter what role I have. Don't make any kind of constructive effort - generally still win, somehow. 'tis a silly a game.

I tried it once. Didn't get it.

Myeah, but the one game you played wasn't a very good one.

It's a bit as if your only WW game would be that one that ended night 1 with a ridiculous tie involving all the wolves. If you ONLY knew that, you might not want to come back either.

Yet you keep coming into our threads, so something must be catching your interest ;)

In

Though you may want to edit some of the roles since some of them are described the same as the Connacht game.

Oops, I though I got them all. Anyway, I'll leave sign-ups open until Monday, because I won't be able to send out the PMs until then.

Well, it looks like no one else signed up, so I'll start sending PMs.

The PMs are out, and Falc is the leader, and must propose a team of 2, giving one the button.

On another note, I would like it if everyone on the team would PM me if they wish to sabotage or not, and if they wish to use the button if they have recieved it.

The Informant, Assassin, Secretary, and the Well Connected Resistance are all in.

Are we assuming that when you randomised the leader list, it came out exactly as it went in?

Is there an Imperial Torture Device?

Also, put me on the team, Falc.

Are we assuming that when you randomised the leader list, it came out exactly as it went in?

Is there an Imperial Torture Device?

Also, put me on the team, Falc.

I was just going to use the order signed up in. Also, there is an Imperial Torture Device.