• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Playing a Basil that's already an emperor in January 1st, 867 simply feels like not playing Basil I at all. It's hardly the rags-to-riches story which made the character's background appealing in the first place.

Conversely, Michael III was the last of the Amorian dynasty; couldn't it be said to be more interesting to play and continue the dynasty well beyond their historical demise?

I wouldn't mind reliving Basil and his father, brother, and cousin sneaking into the drinking room of Michael and stabbing the living shit out of him and his buddy. Man this game makes you a complete psychopath...

I wouldn't mind reliving Basil and his father, brother, and cousin sneaking into the drinking room of Michael and stabbing the living shit out of him and his buddy. Man this game makes you a complete psychopath...

Would love to have murder plots which allow the killing of multiple characters at once (such as friends, couples, or co-conspirators,) at least.

Would love to have murder plots which allow the killing of multiple characters at once (such as friends, couples, or co-conspirators,) at least.

This game just brings out the worse out of people...

Sort of like the coronation banquet of a certain danish tyrant and a certain fictional wedding you mean? I'd be all for that, but the consequences should be pretty big though.

Would Paradox even give any effort to fix this historical error?

There probably should also be a requirement that the two characters are either friends (it appears that more events dealing with friendship are likely in the works,) spouses, lovers, or of the same dynasty (and as such would have reason to be at the same place at the same time.)

Sort of like the coronation banquet of a certain danish tyrant and a certain fictional wedding you mean? I'd be all for that, but the consequences should be pretty big though.

I'm farily certain, that even though I can't currently think of any off the top of my head (have just woken up,) that there are many, many more examples of multiple persons being murdered at the same event. The double-murder of Basileios Michael III and Basiliskianos was the example which first made me realise how limited murders are compared to well-known historical plots.

Furthermore, I'm not sure, but I've never seen the leader of the plot (or others involved) at risk of being killed or imprisoned during the plot, as well. It would be really nice to see the plan fail absolutely, guards arrive (or perhaps were already in wait) and kill or imprison the plotters which don't manage to flee. I've said it many times that plotting is still too risk-free.

I've made Michael III the emperor in the Old Gods start date with Basil I being Doux of Macedonia and Caesar in my mod SPQR. I've also made a separate start date where Basil I is the Emperor with Michael III dead. Now that I think about it, why wasn't this done in the vanilla? Adding a whole new bookmark takes like ten seconds with fixing the history files taking a minute at most.

I've made Michael III the emperor in the Old Gods start date with Basil I being Doux of Macedonia and Caesar in my mod SPQR. I've also made a separate start date where Basil I is the Emperor with Michael III dead. Now that I think about it, why wasn't this done in the vanilla? Adding a whole new bookmark takes like ten seconds with fixing the history files taking a minute at most.
Probably because it doesn't add any gameplay. You just start with a different character, dynasty, and COA. It's only for history buffs and it's easy enough to mod in the bookmarks. This isn't like Staford Bridge/William the Conqueror start split where you dont' have to fight the 3 way war for England. There is a real difference in the gameplay for the 2 starts there even though they are only months apart.

The only problem I'm having with placing Michael in 867 so far is making people hate him enough to overthrow him (and in favour of Basil, not one of his sisters or Basiliskianos), without demonising him too much or glorifying Basil too much, or making Michael being overthrown a forgone conclusion. Basil and the other doukai are revolting to press his claim, but the revolt is generally fairly small in scope, and easily defeated by Michael.

Last edited:
Would Paradox even give any effort to fix this historical error?

Its a deliberate choice on their part. So no, they won't be putting any effort in to fix this 'error'.

Furthermore, I'm not sure, but I've never seen the leader of the plot (or others involved) at risk of being killed or imprisoned during the plot, as well. It would be really nice to see the plan fail absolutely, guards arrive (or perhaps were already in wait) and kill or imprison the plotters which don't manage to flee. I've said it many times that plotting is still too risk-free.

You are at risk of imprisonment if the plot is discovered - its just players rarely choose targets that can imprison them (and the AI doesn't try to respond with assassinations) Its only rarely that the aristocratic plotters are on the scene for this sort of stuff. Byzantium tended to be a bit more due to the tradition of needing to be crowned in Constantinople - so you couldn't hide out in the country or somebody else would seize the crown before you arrived. That, and an element of sensationalism.

Because who rules Byzantium is a matter of irrelevance to anybody except them and a couple of their neighbours, and Byzantium is hardly the focus of the 867 start?

Or even better: to accidentally kill the wrong person. Poisened wine get served to the plotter or a random other character instead of the real target. oops...

Still were is his mother and sister? I never heard that answer.

Where are the other 10 million or so people in Europe at this time? Or if you think thats being facetious, where are the other members of the nobility everywhere? (I mean, there are a bunch of tribal chiefs that aren't even married - and that has gameplay effects.)

Did they have significance past Michael's death? Unless they did, there's no real point in them being in game - they are just marriage targets.