• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Go NAPOLEON III

I am pretty sure you will lose Nappy if the Germans get their way.

About 60% sure.

How much of your army is stuck in Italy?

I couldn't help but have flashbacks of Stalinist Russia just before Barbarossa - a minor skirmish war on the border, but suffering massive casualties - Germans nearby gearing something -- but what? Missing all the clues - Germans consolidating, having looked south already, all that remains is towards you...

Anyway, enjoying this! Subbed! Looking forward to seeing how it goes. I don't recall ever seeing a victorious France, but there's always a first time for everything.

...Anyway, enjoying this! Subbed! Looking forward to seeing how it goes. I don't recall ever seeing a victorious France, but there's always a first time for everything.

Well, it will be interesting to see how France does in skilled human hands. Perhaps then there is a chance, I wouldn't fancy it myself though, I am nowhere near skilled enough to pull this sort of thing off yet!

Congratulations on the deserved award. You've done well so far to rebuilt the French position in the world, but I fear for the coming war. There were a number of victories against Austria which looked almost pyrrhic in nature, and the Prussian's are sure to field a well drilled army.

Well, it will be interesting to see how France does in skilled human hands. Perhaps then there is a chance, I wouldn't fancy it myself though, I am nowhere near skilled enough to pull this sort of thing off yet!
i really want to tell you guys what happens but that would be spoiling :D looks like you'll all have to wait until friday.
Seelmiester- thanks, i dont think you should worry to much about the outcome of this war every thing is going according to plan (so far)

i really want to tell you guys what happens but that would be spoiling :D looks like you'll all have to wait until friday.
Seelmiester- thanks, i dont think you should worry to much about the outcome of this war every thing is going according to plan (so far)

Needless to say it is probably going well then :D

Will look forward to the update on Friday.

NGF without warring Denmark?

Part 9: The Franco Prussian war part 1

Upon the declaration of war Napoleon III immediately begins peace negotiations with Two Sicilies. The Sicilians at first seemed contempt to fight on due to France now having to face the Germans to the north, however Napoleon made it clear that even though the 4th and 6th armies where to be reassigned to eastern France to fight the Germans if the Sicilians refused to surrender Sardinian troops would remain in the country. Napoleon also threatened to have the army of Algeria reassigned to aid the Sardinians if the Sicilians didn’t admit Sardinian hegemony. On the 1st of December the Sicilians finally give in to our demands.

775243.png

On the 10th of December the British land in Dunkirk and the Germans launch an offensive against our forces in Colmar and lay siege to Metz. We find ourselves heavily outnumbered in Metz for the time being but we have arranged for reinforcements to arrive. In the meantime we repel the Wurtenburgian offensive in Colmar.

9c1cb9.png

After achieving victory in Colmar our forces seemed eager for battle and confident of victory but then it happened. On the 12th of January 1868 the siege of Metz ends in a huge defeat, we lost 75,000 brave men during the siege and the breakout attempt. After being stuck in the fort for 2 months general Elie Petain attempted a break out after hearing that the 5th army was heading to relive him. He had hoped that the 5th army would arrive and that his forces could then encircle the enemy. But the 5th army was delayed near Strasbourg by the army of Baden. In the aftermath of the battle only 25,000 brave French soldiers remained. Our defeat in this battle has now given the Germans the advantage for the time being.

43a0d5.png

Our defeat at Metz luckily did not affect the moral of our troops further north where our army successfully prevented a British attempt to march south and cut of the retreat of our troops from Metz. With this victory for the moment the British are prevented from linking up with their German allies. With the British now alone and weak we start picking off the smaller British armies. One small British force of 9,000 troops is defeated on the 30th of January in a battle outside of Caen.

176cb6.png

While our forces are slowly being overrun by the Germans in Frache comte and Alsace Lorraine we pursue the British army into neutral Holland where we defeat the British in the battle of Tournai. Despite outnumbering the enemy we suffer almost twice the casualties, hopefully this is not a sign of things to come. Despite suffering more casualties our forces continue to fight valiantly, none more so that the imperial guard which on the 16th of February defeated another British army in the battle of Rouen.

e1f243.png

To the east in Alsace Lorraine our forces launch a minor counter attack against the Germans in Metz while Strasbourg and Colmar are being occupied. Our forces combined with that of our Sardinian allies manage to inflict 18,000 casualties on the German forces whilst only losing 3,800 men in the process. Our victory is short lived as we are soon forces to retreat westwards due to the Germans attempting to cut of our retreat. Further north the imperial guard continue to advance against the British and once again emerge victorious despite facing increasing resistance as the British land more and more troops on our coastline. On the 2nd of March the British lose the battle of Amiens and retreat to Arras where our forces will soon pursue them to.

a76b54.png

0f1291.png

The imperial guards soon catch up to the British and destroy 1 of their armies in the battle of Arras where 12,000 British troops are defeated. By the 20th of March the Germans have made their way further into France, while we have been able to contain the British we have struggled to push back the Germans. When the Sardinian counter attack at Nancy fails to push back the Germans on the 24th of March Napoleon orders the protection of Paris at all costs. If Paris falls so too does the French government and Napoleon knows he cannot allow that to happen.

f79dcc.png

In April an attempt to break the British blockade of northern France fails when the northern fleet is defeated in the battle of the straits of Dover. Even worse during the battle we lost 2 of our new ironclad warships. While Britannia continues to rule the waves she continues to struggle against our forces on land where they are defeated in the 2nd battle of Amiens. During the battle the imperial guard sustained heavy casualties but under the leadership of Achille Humbert they managed to inflict almost twice the casualties on the enemy.

aa3dc8.png

As may begin things begin to look worse as the Germans arrive in increasing numbers and manage to repulse our counter attack on their forces at Troyes. During the battle we lose 40,000 men compared to the German losses of roughly 10,000 men. We cannot afford to continue suffering such heavy losses, we are attempting to form a defensive line to prevent them from expanding further south and prevent them from surrounding Paris. To the North of Paris the British are battling for control of Beavais, on the 20th of May Napoleon III takes command of the French forces protecting Paris ready for the oncoming British assault which begins on the 23rd of May.

0395ca.png

bee448.png

It is clear that Napoleon III is not his uncle but he still manages to lead the troops with enough skill to rival some of his best generals. Seeing their emperor fight alongside them also helps raise the moral of the troops, which helps a lot when our forces are outnumbered. On the 25th of May the British are defeated at Beauvais which frees up extra troop that can now be sent to reinforce Paris. On the 8th of June after over 2 weeks of fighting the British attack on Paris is defeated with the arrival of the imperial guards from Beauvais. This is a significant victory for Napoleon who knows that if he cannot hold onto Paris then he most certainly will lose his throne.

f497fa.png

08eb77.png

On the 30th of June we win a Pyrrhic victory against the Germans in the battle of Orleans. During the battle our forces lost over 70,000 men after general Armand Lyautey recklessly threw units into battle against well entrenched German forces. While our forces retreat from Orleans the British attempt to surround the city of Paris so that they can launch another assault against the city. Further south our problems continue to grow when an entire army is destroyed by the British and Germans forces in the battle of Moulins.

e46b78.png

f71b9f.png

We may be losing the war but Napoleon III has made it clear to the Germans his intention to keep fighting. He is confident that Paris will not fall to the Germans, and the Germans know that if they were to take Paris the death toll would be enormous. Large amount of land has been occupied by the Germans but Napoleon is still emperor and as long as he is we shall continue fighting. Napoleon hopes to avoid the same fate as his uncle but to do that both the emperor and France need a miracle.

Ouch!

Very nice update - in a strange way it is good to see an AAR where steamrolling doesn't happen. Lots of 'Blood and Iron' being expended in this phase.

You need a good Russia to come save you! I'll load my Russia into your save so it's doomstack armies of Japanese conscripts can come save you!

This is distressing. You need reinforcement! Can you convince the Russian to intervene? Or the Austrians?

Great job so far! Though I am skeptical that you'll be able to pull it off - it really seems that the German AI only attacks when victory is assured - and with the British alliance...

One minor thing - the 3rd image from the bottom has Napoleon 3 leading the British troops. Surely that's a mistake?

Great job so far! Though I am skeptical that you'll be able to pull it off - it really seems that the German AI only attacks when victory is assured - and with the British alliance...

One minor thing - the 3rd image from the bottom has Napoleon 3 leading the British troops. Surely that's a mistake?
well spotted i would change it but im too lazy lol i'll be sure to put his name under the right flag next time, like ive told everyone so far everything is going as planned ;).