• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

spiller68

Lt. General
43 Badges
Feb 21, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
qbv7.png

For centuries France has been one of the strongest nations in Europe, we have won a great deal of wars and mighty battles. Like the other western European nations we sought out colonies in the new world and India, but our quest for greatness eventually led to war. During the 17th century we were almost unbeatable, we fought the ottomans as part of the league of the Rhine, the Spanish in the war of devolution and the Dutch in Franco-Dutch War (1672–1678). This was the time of the Sun king Louis XIV, a time when our might was unbeatable but as the 18th century began things began to change.

In 1701 the war of Spanish succession began when the last Hapsburg king of Spain passed away naming Phillip of Anjou Louis XIV grandson his successor. It was then that the Grand Alliance intervened to prevent a dynastic unification of Spain with our empire then the dominant military power on the continent. The war raged on for 13 years and the grand alliance succeeded in preventing a union between the French and Spanish empires but failed to prevent a bourbon king from ascending to the throne of Spain. But in return the new Spanish king was removed from the line of succession of the French throne and the Spanish lost control of the Spanish Netherlands and its possessions in Spain.

France remained the most powerful nation on the continent but other nations specifically the British began to challenge our power. In 1756 the seven years’ war began as Fredrick the great of Prussia invaded Saxony causing a European war that with the entrance of the British spread to the new world and India. In the colonies the war went well as our forces battles the British in North America, while Fredrick defeated the Austrians with ease at the Battles of Lobositz (1756), Prague (1757) and Rossbach (1757). Even with superior numbers the Austrians and the Russians were unable to defeat Fredrick and his army. The war in Europe effectively turned into a stalemate and ended in a white peace but the war against the British ended in catastrophe where we were forced to cede New France to Britain and Louisiana to the Spanish.

0br7.png

The seven year’s war ended in defeat but we soon had our revenge on the British in the American war of independence where we aided the American rebels gain independence from the British, but this victory came at a cost. In our efforts to weaken the British we fell into huge debt, many in the mother land grew tired of the ancient regime and soon the French revolution began. A republic was proclaimed in September 1792 and King Louis XVI was executed the next year. The great powers of Europe sought to undo everything the revolution had achieved and they might have succeeded had it not been for General Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon defeated coalition after coalition sent against us and soon he even became emperor of France, it seemed as though nothing could stop Napoleon until he faced the Russian winter. After capturing Moscow Napoleon and his Grande Armee where forced to retreat, seeing a chance to finally defeat him a new coalition was formed to fight Napoleon and soon Napoleon was defeated in the Battle of Leipzig. Napoleon soon escaped from his prison on the island of Elba and made a triumphant return before suffering his final defeat at the Battle of Waterloo at the hands of the Duke of Wellington and Gebhard von Blucher.

pv3y.png

France was defeated yet again and all of our territorial gains from the Napoleonic wars where taken from us and the map of Europe was redrawn by the congress of Vienna. We have suffered defeat at the hands of the great powers of Europe but now we have a chance to make France stronger than ever and rebuild our empire.

28t0.png

Author's note: this AAR will be played with the New Nation Mod which i finally managed to install thanks to help from Avindian, this is the first time ive ever used the mod so this should be fun.

NNM is a pretty awesome mod, glad you got it to work! Completely revitalized Vicky 2 for me, hope it does the same for you. I will, naturally, be following with interest!

NNM is a pretty awesome mod, glad you got it to work! Completely revitalized Vicky 2 for me, hope it does the same for you. I will, naturally, be following with interest!
from what i have played it's very fun, and now France will be getting revenge for all the times i kicked their butts in my previous AAR's as Germany,Italy and Spain :p this is gonna be fun

subbed Good Luck.

Part 1: Beginnings

1836 begins with us deciding to try and influence our neighbour Sardinia-piedmont, hoping to someday bring them into our sphere of influence. On the 9th of February we decide to begin justifying a war against the Algerian’s in North Africa hoping to expand our current territory on the Algerian coastline.

xm0f.png

After another month we decide to replace the Orleaniste conservative party and replace them with the Legitimistre reactionary party. We believe the reactionary party will serve the country well as they support state capitalism which will allow us to expand our industry. They are also pro military which is very important if you want to survive in Europe.

gzde.png

On the 3rd of March our attempt to justify a war against Algeria is discovered and made known to the other nations of Europe gaining us 6.5 infamy. The Europeans don’t seem too concerned about our ambitions in Algeria, they are probably just happy we are looking abroad rather than seeking to expand in Europe. In April after the last 3 months of debate we have decided to grant statehood to the tiny islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon of the coast of Newfoundland Canada. The people on the island will now have the same rights as those who live in the motherland.

4xq8.png

As June begins we decide to read the national paper the Gazette De France to find out if anything interesting is happening elsewhere in the world. It appears that war is continuing in Latin America as civil war has broken out in the Federal Republic of Central America and the Argentina has gone to war with Paraguay while battle continue to rage on in southern brazil. In addition to these wars in South America the Carlist war continues in Spain and the British are cosying up to the Prussians. Meanwhile at home on the 29th of June nearly 30 years after construction began the Arc De Triomphe is finally completed.

koe3.png

d9c6.png

Several days later the government decides it’s time to begin modernising the infrastructure in Paris and we begin building the first ever railroad in France. On the 19th of July we hear word of rebellion in northern Algeria being funded by the Algerian government, outraged at the attempts to undermine our control of the Algerian coast we move forward our plans for war. War begins three days later on the 22nd.

kuhz.png

Immediately the Armee d’Algerie under the command of Nicolas Bourbaki makes way for the Algerian capital of Tlemcen while another army heads for the Algerian city of Constantine. On the 1st of August the battle of Constantine ends in a French victory as the entire Algerian army disperses into the Sahara. 5 days later the bulk of the Algerian army is defeated in the battle of Tlecmcen as General Nicolas Bourbaki outmanoeuvres Abdel el Kader and forces the Algerian army to retreat southwards after cutting the Algerian army in half. After the defeat of the Algerian army our forces spread out to occupy the country.

mvxn.png

p7w5.png

Occupation of the country took longer than expected due to the harsh terrain but on the 26th of January 1837 the Algerians finally surrender and cede control of Constantine to France. 1837 begins with a series of Blights and rebellions in Algeria with nothing of any significance happening until July when the oriental crisis breaks out. In addition to the oriental crisis another war breaks out in South America and Nicaragua gains independence. French diplomats have been watching the crisis develop for some months now and it is looking more and more as if the Ottomans are losing control of their own empire. After much debate we decide to remain neutral in this crisis after coming to the conclusion that we have nothing to gain by supporting either side.

b50g.png

453g.png

In the aftermath of the crisis in January 1838 both the Austrian and British governments decide to go to war against Egypt after receiving insults from them. Due to their arrogance the Egyptians must now face 2 European powers as well as the sick man. While the Egyptians attempt to fend off the Ottomans, Austrian and British we decide to annex the small island of Mayotte. The ruler of Mayotte asked to become our protectorate preferring French rule over potentially being annexed by another European empire such as Portugal or Britain.

fyk8.png

w9ns.png

On the 26th of April after a few week of negotiation between us and Spain a treaty of alliance is signed between our two nations. On the 7th of July Louis Napoleon is sighted in Switzerland after being granted asylum. The nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte Louis Napoleon is an outspoken critic of the current regime and seeks to overthrow the king. We attempt to have the Swiss extradite him but they refuse pointing out the fact that Louis Napoleon is actually a Swiss citizen.

z536.png

hzy.png

Later in the month the British declare war on the Chinese after the events of the Kowloon incident. The British continue to battle the Chinese into the New Year as the royal navy blockades the Chinese coast and East India company troops launch an assault in Hong Kong. In late December 1839 the oriental crisis comes to an end after the Ottoman Empire successfully defeats the Egyptians and regains control of the Levant.

loax.png

9tot.png

As 1840 begins new elections begin in an orderly fashion with no current report of violence in Paris or anywhere else in France. The last few years of the 1830s have been relatively calm with our nation making great progress in the last few years and so far there have been very little political unrest. We can only hope now that the elections proceed smoothly.

6i8q.png

Subbed - but will have to catch up on reading later :)

Subbed! What are your goals for France?

Subbed! What are your goals for France?
im gonna try and grab all the historic French possessions from this period i might even grab mexico (not sure if there is an event in NNM for that), im also gonna allow Germany to form so later in the game i can kick their butts and get revenge. besides that i havent really got any goals but if there is anything you'd like to see me do let me know.

Subbed!!

im gonna try and grab all the historic French possessions from this period i might even grab mexico (not sure if there is an event in NNM for that), im also gonna allow Germany to form so later in the game i can kick their butts and get revenge. besides that i havent really got any goals but if there is anything you'd like to see me do let me know.

I demand Napoleonic Europe! :D

I tried to see if the Mexico event is in NNM -- I suspect it isn't, sadly, but it's possible. Great first update!

I demand Napoleonic Europe! :D

I tried to see if the Mexico event is in NNM -- I suspect it isn't, sadly, but it's possible. Great first update!
well a napoleon might show u eventually ;) too bad there isant an event for mexican intervention it would have been fun, on the bright side i know there's an event for the Crimean war (hopefully it will fire)

...After another month we decide to replace the Orleaniste conservative party and replace them with the Legitimistre reactionary party. We believe the reactionary party will serve the country well as they support state capitalism which will allow us to expand our industry. They are also pro military which is very important if you want to survive in Europe.

An anti-military Conservative party, damn!

Feel free to comment about when you build what factories where. Hopefully it won't bore other people and knowing which factories are good to build and why is something I could really do with learning about the game.

...we decide to annex the small island of Mayotte...

Just out of curiosity, what is your thinking behind this move?

...We can only hope now that the elections proceed smoothly...

With possible militancy if you manually replace the Conservatives with the Reactionaries again?

is that you telling me you want me to colonize southern argentina? and i'll pick up the walloons at some point in the game maybe after a great war.

I thought Walloons were Belgium, or have I got that wrong?