• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xnaop

Colonel
133 Badges
Nov 18, 2009
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
I have the Captain of the Varangian Guard as one of my vassals. He is Orthodox; I am Fraticelli. But there's no button to demand his conversion? Is this WAD? I mean, I get why I wouldn't realistically be able to convert the Ecumenical Patriarch despite the fact that he's my vassal, but why shouldn't I be able to ask for the conversion of this guy?

I have the Captain of the Varangian Guard as one of my vassals. He is Orthodox; I am Fraticelli. But there's no button to demand his conversion? Is this WAD? I mean, I get why I wouldn't realistically be able to convert the Ecumenical Patriarch despite the fact that he's my vassal, but why shouldn't I be able to ask for the conversion of this guy?

Because otherwise you could demand conversion when he's a Norseman, defeating the point.

Because otherwise you could demand conversion when he's a Norseman, defeating the point.

What? Defeating what point? And I guess I'm not familiar with the Varangian Guard, but don't they start off as Orthodox? When are they Norse? Unless you're talking about Norse culture, in which case what does that have to do with conversion?

What? Defeating what point? And I guess I'm not familiar with the Varangian Guard, but don't they start off as Orthodox? When are they Norse? Unless you're talking about Norse culture, in which case what does that have to do with conversion?

When they're formed in 867, they start off as Norse/Norse, which is why they cannot be converted.

I don't think it has anything to do with that. I think it's because they're Mercs with their base outside your realm.

What if you conquer Uppland then? Could they be converted then?

They're always Orthodox in other start dates. Besides, why can't a Norseman in the middle of Constantinople be converted?

Give them a castle and then put your chaplain there to proselytize.
In no time they will turn orthodox religion.

It also increases there mercenary cap and size way faster, then leaving them landless.

Well, I guess I'm befuddled by the response. First, they don't seem to even exist in 867. But ignoring that, you seem to be saying that because they were (presumably) Norse centuries ago, a Christian liege should not be able to ask them to convert from their current Christian religion to another Christian religion. And I don't see why that makes any sense at all (again, even ignoring that they don't seem to exist in 867).

The Varangian Guard's court is made up of guys from actual Norse lands. What you're suggesting is that they all get converted to Orthodoxy upon coming south. The AI will always try and convert vassals, and always form the guard. Thus, the 867 start will promptly end up with the Vikings all turning Orthodox within a generation or two because so many heirs are returning from the Varangian Guard with high martial scores, possibly trait boosts (it can boost martial on top of the 'Varangian' trait), and prestige.

Oh, that's what I'm suggesting. Thanks for letting me know.

If there's some sort of stupid game mechanic that would cause all people north of a certain point to suddenly become Orthodox, then maybe that stupid game mechanic should be reconsidered instead of deciding that some particular group of people is, for no particular reason, immune to the concept of being asked to convert.

In any case, in my game, they are Orthodox, it has been a lot more than "a generation or two", and the Norse lands are Norse, so I'm not sure that the stupid game mechanic is as breaking as you think it might be.

I never said I started in 1066; I started in 867.

I think some of your comments are confusing people, as well as your discussion of stupid gaming mechanics.

The Varangian Guard actually formed in the 9th century - mainly consisting of Scandis and some German people, so around the time of this 867 start. You get an event and then can form the VG shortly into the game. The VG starts as Norse/Norse and reside up North. There are ways to convert them if you wish.

Also, as in history, Norse warriors (including some nobles) left home for the VG and often came back very different or not at all, so it is not out of the ordinary to have Orthodox men return home and, if noble/landed, possibly convert some. I think it would be hard in this game for that to happen unless you forced it though - which I think the poster above was trying to convey.

I think some of your comments are confusing people, as well as your discussion of stupid gaming mechanics.

The Varangian Guard actually formed in the 9th century - mainly consisting of Scandis and some German people, so around the time of this 867 start. You get an event and then can form the VG shortly into the game. The VG starts as Norse/Norse and reside up North. There are ways to convert them if you wish.

Also, as in history, Norse warriors (including some nobles) left home for the VG and often came back very different or not at all, so it is not out of the ordinary to have Orthodox men return home and, if noble/landed, possibly convert some. I think it would be hard in this game for that to happen unless you forced it though - which I think the poster above was trying to convey.

One of the possible 'Varangian returns home' events has them return Orthodox. One has them bring a Greek Orthodox wife. Another has them stay in Constantinople with their Greek wife.

Strangely, the first two require that the ERE still be Orthodox, rather than just using its particular religion.