• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Barons

Corporal
13 Badges
Jun 10, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Hello,

Is there anything I can do to prevent conquered people from converting my vassals religion and culture? I'm trying to covert everyone to Norse and just noticed some of my vassals have converted to Anglo Saxon Catholics.

Now my other vassals are all mad about me executing them and will probably revolt =(

They were all perfectly happy to come to my blot and sacrifice Catholics, but now they are turning on me =(

Generally if I'm conquering areas of other religions/culture, I want to remove those characters. If you take counties such that you take complete control of all holdings, then award each holding to men of your religion/culture. (using the "create vassal" button will do so as well). Eventually that county will convert religion/culture over time. Likewise, award just the Count or even Duke title to man of your culture/religion and he will often revoke titles within his realm himself, if those vassals are of different religion or culture.

If you can't actually take the titles of the counties, dukedoms, whatever after war - instead having to take them as vassals - try to find a way to revoke the titles or inherit them, even assassinating.

Be careful who educates your family and try to make sure your direct vassals are not getting their kids educated by the wrong people. Wards can convert culture and religion during their education process.

Of course, make sure your Chaplain (or whatever) is proselytizing any areas of different religion as well. He will convert people and the counties themselves over time.

Changing culture/religion of conquered areas can take time and patience, but you should never have a problem with existing holdings of your culture/religion if you are managing things properly.

Culture seems slower usually, but religion should be fairly easy to manage unless moral authority is low. You can demand religious conversion as well.

Holy wars is easy for that..as it banishes everyone not of the good religion, which usually is everyone in a Holy War... then just use "create vassal" for the minor holdings (which creates people of your culture/religion)... then if there is a minor castle in one of those provinces...just give the counties to the baron there and then the duchy...unless he really sucks..in this case use your court.

It can be trickier for pagans...as the catholics will send missionaries at random and there isnt much you can do about it besides getting rid of the catholics altogether..which is long and not easy.

On the other hand, muslims and some pagan religions have a very easy way with the create vassal button... remember that feudal muslim lords can legally hold temples... which are present in the vast majority of provinces... just "create vassal" a "priest"...and give him the counties turning him into a sheik/emir. Harder for christians...the bishops will just become archbishops if you give them a county... which comes with a -30 vassal opinion and will have annoying succession laws.

But yes, pagans have it the hard way when it comes to religion. In exchange they have the easiest ways to expand militarily.

Hello,

Is there anything I can do to prevent conquered people from converting my vassals religion and culture? I'm trying to covert everyone to Norse and just noticed some of my vassals have converted to Anglo Saxon Catholics.

Now my other vassals are all mad about me executing them and will probably revolt =(

They were all perfectly happy to come to my blot and sacrifice Catholics, but now they are turning on me =(

You're saying they converted, so that means you originally had Norse/Norse characters in conquered land? Unfortunately as far as I know there's no real way to prevent culture change. But I believe high moral authority prevents religion change. Plus, make sure that when other religions send priests to proselytize you get rid of them.

Have you reformed the faith yet? If not you need to make that a priority. Once you reform the faith you can demand religious conversion from any vassal with an opinion of about 30 or 40+. Or with medium crown authority (only available to reformed) you should be able to just freely revoke any title from wrong religion characters, and then you can replace them with proper Norse/Norse guys.