*** CK2 team expanding! PDS is looking for new scripter ***

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Captain Gars

Lead AI Programmer
4 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Paradox Development Studio is expanding!

We are looking for a new scripter to join the Crusader Kings 2 team. Tasks will primarily be to write and script events and decisions and similar in-game content. Other tasks include research, create and maintain databases and maps, as well as debug, balance and test our games.

For more information about the job, use the link below to visit our new career website:

http://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs/1343-scripter-with-an-interest-in-history

Meh, you always do this just when I'm job hunting >< STOP TRYING TO TEMPT ME TO MOVE TO SWEDEN.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of paycheck does a job like this come with?

About five thousand more than when I started :D

About five thousand more than when I started :D

:eek: whoa, 5 thousand more US dollars a mon... oh wait, it's probably swedish monies.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of paycheck does a job like this come with?

A google search I did before applying said that computer programmers can make 38,000 Kr a month in Sweden. Paradox might pay 20,000 or maybe 70,000, but if you need a ballpark figure, there it is.

A google search I did before applying said that computer programmers can make 38,000 Kr a month in Sweden. Paradox might pay 20,000 or maybe 70,000, but if you need a ballpark figure, there it is.

I'd strongly suspect that scripters are firmly on the lower end of that scale, given that in programming seniority terms it's pretty much the bottom of the heap. In the UK, most entry-level scripting positions will pay £18-20,000 (about 25-30k US dollars) a year, which is about the same as a decent customer service job. Just not so soul-crushingly despair-inducing, especially with the relative creative freedom Paradox give their scripters compared to some other companies, and their history of rapidly spotting and promoting talent internally (I hear Susana is on schedule to be promoted to Grand Poobah of the Milky Way by 2018).

Were I a little younger, or at least not married with children.. this sounds like a great position, I majored in history but through the winds of fate ended up in software development (definitely not in game development though).

Maybe next turn on the wheel

Why do you need to move to Sweden? With the wonders of the Internet, you'd think it wouldn't be necessary.

If you're looking for individuals that work on their own separate project or task with little need for daily input, working remotely might be suitable.

If you want a team that are working together in a project, that are able to share ideas and knowledge quickly and smoothly, that are able to mesh together well and cooperate and share a common goal, you really want them to be at the same physical location.

Why do you need to move to Sweden? With the wonders of the Internet, you'd think it wouldn't be necessary.

Despite universal remote working being entirely practical nowadays (I've worked on a fair few collaborative projects that were entirely remote-based with no real noticeable detriment to communication or teamwork), it's not yet caught on in the wider commercial world. I think it's mostly due to contemporary managerial culture being obsessed with in-person oversight, even though most jobs now have electronic data collection that measures performance. It's particularly absurd when URW technologies are used on-site in some companies - when I was working at the Co-op, they use a whole suite of remote techs on campus, so I often found myself working on teams that I never met face-to-face even though they were all physically within about 200 feet of me. There was literally no sensible reason for us to be on-site; my manager simply checked the data from the work control system to see if I was doing my job and rarely bothered to show up at the office himself.

In business terms, the main arguments for universal remote working are eliminating expensive fixed costs (so office rents, heating, electricity etc), or operating in countries which have generally low-skill, spread out work forces and poor infrastructure. Sweden has excellent infrastructure and a highly skilled, concentrated workforce, and Paradox have the office anyway, so there's no reason for them to consider a remote work solution. The present set-up seems to be working wonders, so why take an expensive risk?

Remote working does present some additional challenges - even with modern connectivity. Very little beats having your close collaborators in the same pod.

There is some industry trending back from the universal embrace of remote working recently (yahoo, best buy, for example).

Several reasons for not applying.

1. No one would understand a word that is leaving my mouth
  2. My family would not move with me
  3. I will not leave the warm, balmy South to move to a location where summer is the last week in July
  4. Stockholm Syndrome
;)

Several reasons to apply

1 - Work for Paradox the best [CENSORED] gaming company in the world.
2 - Sweden. Blondes. 'Nuff said.
3 - Get paid to play video games (sorta)
4 - Finally do all those things you always said "why didn't Paradox do X" yourself.

How do we get Paradox to move to Vienna? ;)