• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kurblius

General
31 Badges
Feb 23, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
Since there appears to be no option to abdicate, does any know how I can kill my ruler? I understand there is a way using spies where you remove your spy master, send a spy to kill someone, hopefully get discovered, and then hopefully get a retalitory assassination attempt, which again hopefully succeeds. Seems pretty iffy to me. Especially since I'm HRE at the moment - I'd imagine I'd have to target a big rich country because for them to retaliate they gotta have $450. Even then I donno if they'd have cash for another attempt if the first one fails.

If you care to know, my HRE ruler stat is 12/9/15/11/8, and is 44, which is pretty good. However, her only heir is 20/19/25/17/16, 16 year old kid with Genius trait. Second, I married him off to an OPM Duchess of Kent with good stats. However, I now want him to divorce her, which can only happen if he becomes the ruler. Instead I want him to marry the 12 year old Empress of the Byzantine Empire after his brother died a couple months ago and I succeeded in killing her Empress mother. Third, she's a woman, giving her a -10 with vassals. Finally, I want to rescind the Duchy of Bavaria because it's gotten to powerful, but the penalty would be substantial. If she dies soon after, though, then I'll have a nice easy empire to manage.

Counter-assassinations are the easiest and most reliable way to kill yourself by far. Send your assassins after people who are cheap to kill, and wait for their liege to send them back your way. Keep going back and forth until they get you.

I don't even bother to dismiss my spymaster. They'll get you eventually.

Took me 7 -8 times and over a half grand to kill myself. This after I went to the Character Selection panel, selected "All Characters", organized by Intrigue power and went down the list. I ended up killing 3 people even though the chances were less than 20%. These were supposed the best spies in the world. Go figure.

You could also hope you get extremely lucky and get "depressed" which is easily the best trait in the game, as it allows you to set everything up the way you want it and then off yourself.

I was watching Arumba's Norse Reformation Let's Play, and he found that surrendering to a rebelling mayor he tried to revoke abdicated his King putting his heir on the throne. That was only a month or two ago I think.

The best way to kill your ruler is to wait until you have one that you really really really don't want to die. Trust me, the game will find a way to kill him. Everytime I have a good one he gets ill every 6-months, he gets wounded if he even THINKS about leading an army flank, he gets depressed and stays depressed for half of his reign, he gets stressed...

Then when I have a really shit ruler with less then 5 in each stat, arbitrary and cynical but his heir is way better and way younger too, I try everything to get him killed. I have him lead every single army (even though he's craven and has 0 martial) hoping he'll get a major bump on the noggin in battle, I select the bad options every time I get pilgrimage events (the options that potentially make you sick)... he just won't die. He will live to be 90. He will live long enough for his good sons to die of old age, leaving only crap sons.

Depression and hunting are the best ways I've seen. Also, the food poisoning event can also be fun and it can give you the sick trait if you go on eating after your vassal/friend tells you he's worried.

Like King Lear, we should be able to abdicate. Please add this feature Paradox!
Problem is that abdication really lends itself to gamey strategies. As an example, consider the ever-popular "get depressed==>go on a revoking spree==>commit suicide==>new ruler gets to give out all the titles to content people who love him" approach. Also remember that voluntary abdications (as supposed to forcible abdications that can be represented by being deposed) were incredibly rare in the middle ages.