• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkath

Scholar-Official
93 Badges
Apr 9, 2012
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Victoria 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Magicka
  • Magicka 2
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Hello there,

I have the 3 dynasty shields DLCs, but i have an existing save game that was created without those DLCs. When i load this save game the random coat of arms of historical dynasties appear (for instance Hwicce, Wessex or of Normandy).

So is there a way to activate those DLCs in such an existing save game ? I've tried comparing between a new save in 1066 and my own save to see if i could edit the dynasties in the save, but apparently important dynasties such as the house of normandy or house of Wessex don't appear in either saves (i'm talking about the "dynasties=" part of the save). Interestingly enough, i can't see Hwicce in the new save, but i can see it in the old one.

This is an issue for me, because i'd like to benefit from the DLC in that save game, but it seems i can't because it was created without those DLCs. Even if there was a way to edit it manually in the save i'd be grateful.

edit : also if i load this save game then resign, any new game that i create then will use the random shields until i restart the game. Very minor bug but still anoying.

Last edited:
You can't get the coat of arms any other way than save editing the game. Coat of Arms are only DLC's that activate for only new games because the dynasty coat of arms data is saved in the save file so it loads it from there. How else it would remember the edited coat of arms and if it would not save them the random coat of arms would get randomized with every load up.

I know the random coat of arms are inside the save game, but i can't find the non-random ones. I tried looking for the main important dynasties within the save games, but i couldn't find them in the "dynasties=" part of the save file. I'd be glad to do edit it manually for the few important dynasties in england for instance, but i really can't figure out how.

Also so of the coat of arms are stored in the dynasties.txt file in the common folder of the game (including the main dynasties that get a COA from the DLCs), so it seems not everything come from the save ...

edit : i still think not being able to use paid content with an existing save game should be a bug that ought to be fixed IMO.

Last edited:
Update : i found the way to edit them in the save, i was looking at it the wrong way. Contrary to random generated dynasty you can find by typing in the name, historical dynasties are associated with a number, for instance "de Normandie" was "752" in my save, so i was able to give them back the proper Coat of Arms by comparing the old save with a new one. I'll do this for a few more and i'll be happy.

But i still think there should be a way for the game to detect the DLC and "fix" the save automatically. I don't know if this is technically possible but it'd be great.