• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Australiana

Major
3 Badges
Sep 15, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • Iron Cross
  • 500k Club
After something of a hiatus from DH I recently decided to start a new game and play with a country other than Germany for a change. I considered playing with Italy for a while because of the possibilities for expansion into the Baltic, North Africa & the Middle East, but finally settled upon trying to tear the world a new one with my homeland; Australia (1933 scenario). At this point, the plan is to leave the Commonwealth & abandon all alliances, install a fascist government (If possible... not sure this can be done... anybody know how??), then invade and secure the Dutch East Indies & New Zealand before driving into French Indochina, Siam & beyond. Of course, much of this will a lot easier said than done, as the odds are stacked firmly against we mighty Australians militarily and economically. Beyond that, there are no 'Create Public Works' events; no 'Invest in National Infrastructures/Research' events; in fact when it comes to Australia, there's very little happening events-wise wise at all. It almost seems as if someone forgot all about us, and most other 'lesser players' on the world stage, no doubt, which is something I really do hope will be improved upon in future versions of the game. Anyhow, I intend to press on and see to it that this blessed country of mine takes her rightful place on the world stage. Amen! ;)

Your thoughts are more than welcome :)

It looks to me like the Invest in XYZ evens are available for Austrailia.

#### Invest in National Infrastructures
event = {
TAG = { AFG ALB ALG ANG ARA ARG ARM AST AUS . . .

Isn't AST Australia?

... with Italy for a while because of the possibilities for expansion into the Baltic, North Africa & the Middle East...
Not sure that the Germans would be happy :p

Not sure that the Germans would be happy :p

I rightly doubt it, but I was thinking of marching to the beat of my own drummer, instead of theirs ;)

This can be a fun game. I did it once and the only "cheat" I did was turn myself into a dictatorship and join the Japanese Alliance. I basically played second fiddle and assistant to Japan during ww2. Alternative history "what if Australia went down the road of can't beat them= then join them" path.

This can be a fun game. I did it once and the only "cheat" I did was turn myself into a dictatorship and join the Japanese Alliance. I basically played second fiddle and assistant to Japan during ww2. Alternative history "what if Australia went down the road of can't beat them= then join them" path.

I intend to go it alone. No alliances, nada! I might even declare war on Japan at some point...

AUS starts @ level 8 free market. Just go over to the right (just one level is enough) towards central planning, and you can start to get the nat'l infra & research investment decisions, right from the start of the game.

If it were me, I'd stay in the Allies until just before WWII starts (or whenever you want to start executing 'your plans', whatever they may be). -Because I can't imagine getting off that gravy train of free techs... until I absolutely had to.

You've got at least 3 tech slots (going for 4, presumably). Here's what I'd do: use 2 of the slots to research all the 'normal stuff' that your allies will be giving you... just research the BP stuff the send you.

But with the final tech slot... pick something evil. And futuristic. If you've got 3 slots only, and 2 of which already have BPs, guess what happens when you do a "substantial investment" in research? -That's right... no choice but to fill that last slot with a BP.

-Part of my 'force blueprints' technique (and there are others). Anyway, now what do you research? What could be so great, as to make us go to the trouble for it? Well, if you look at the 1942 armored car for example, it's real cheap (both in terms of tech cost, and production cost). Playing as Japan, I started cranking out 1942 AC's going all the way back to late '35. -Yes, I was building them (heck, deploying them) in very early 1936, in real, real long production lines. 6 parallel lines, too. Every single (100+) division eventually had 1942 AC's, plus the ART brigades weren't far behind (in terms of filling up every single division). China obviously can't cope with this kind of thing. I have doubts the SU will be able to, either.

Anyway, that's just one example. You've got the whole tech tree... to pick something sinister. I was also determined to not only have Para's ('38), but also 1938 air transports, in early '38 (March as it turned out), so I could take off from Taiwan, and surprise China. A couple of mountainous ports were in range... so, you know how that goes. :closedeyes: I busted my *** to get the '38 transport planes (researched, built, deployed and ready - March '38)... and their range improvement was totally worthless compared to the previous model... so that was a waste. Won't make that mistake again. :rolleyes:

But yeah, you can accomplish anything you want... you just need a plaaaan, man. :cool:

AUS starts @ level 8 free market. Just go over to the right (just one level is enough) towards central planning, and you can start to get the nat'l infra & research investment decisions, right from the start of the game.

If it were me, I'd stay in the Allies until just before WWII starts (or whenever you want to start executing 'your plans', whatever they may be). -Because I can't imagine getting off that gravy train of free techs... until I absolutely had to.

You've got at least 3 tech slots (going for 4, presumably). Here's what I'd do: use 2 of the slots to research all the 'normal stuff' that your allies will be giving you... just research the BP stuff the send you.

But with the final tech slot... pick something evil. And futuristic. If you've got 3 slots only, and 2 of which already have BPs, guess what happens when you do a "substantial investment" in research? -That's right... no choice but to fill that last slot with a BP.

-Part of my 'force blueprints' technique (and there are others). Anyway, now what do you research? What could be so great, as to make us go to the trouble for it? Well, if you look at the 1942 armored car for example, it's real cheap (both in terms of tech cost, and production cost). Playing as Japan, I started cranking out 1942 AC's going all the way back to late '35. -Yes, I was building them (heck, deploying them) in very early 1936, in real, real long production lines. 6 parallel lines, too. Every single (100+) division eventually had 1942 AC's, plus the ART brigades weren't far behind (in terms of filling up every single division). China obviously can't cope with this kind of thing. I have doubts the SU will be able to, either.

Anyway, that's just one example. You've got the whole tech tree... to pick something sinister. I was also determined to not only have Para's ('38), but also 1938 air transports, in early '38 (March as it turned out), so I could take off from Taiwan, and surprise China. A couple of mountainous ports were in range... so, you know how that goes. :closedeyes: I busted my *** to get the '38 transport planes (researched, built, deployed and ready - March '38)... and their range improvement was totally worthless compared to the previous model... so that was a waste. Won't make that mistake again. :rolleyes:

But yeah, you can accomplish anything you want... you just need a plaaaan, man. :cool:

The overall plan is to stick with the allies right up until the outbreak of war, because, as you point out, the "gravy train of free techs" is too rich a vein not to tap as much as possible. After that, I intend to wait until the German invasion of France (Which I'm hoping happens roughly within the same historical time frame - May of 1940) and then take full advantage of the chaos in Europe to unleash my own invasions. As I stated in the first post, my intention is to (hopefully) secure the resource rich Dutch East Indies initially. What I can potentially capture there should not only be enough to make my economy largely self sufficient, but give me bases from which to expand further north, possibly into Siam and French Indochina, where I'm hoping the Japanese will be too distracted by China and other enemies to really be able to do much about. Obviously my plans rely much upon the 'power centres', if you will, having bigger fish to fry, and being heavily engaged in other areas. This is where I think Australia's geographical position could be of some benefit - we're not easy to get to.
New Zealand will also be invaded and occupied almost simultaneously to the invasion of the Dutch East Indies, the reasons for which should be abundantly clear to everyone. I don't want an allied country located so closely to Australia operating with any kind of freedom. Beyond that, who knows? World domination? ;)

Thanks for the tip on central planning, too. That will be very useful. But a maximum 4 tech teams for Australia?

Also, my biggest problem when I played Australia was manpower. Another thing (imo) you should do from 1933 onward is constant recruitment campaigns. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think the manpower you get out of recruitment campaigns lessens the manpower you eventually get when you partially and fully mobilize.

Now I'm wanting to play another Australia game all of a sudden..

Also, my biggest problem when I played Australia was manpower. Another thing (imo) you should do from 1933 onward is constant recruitment campaigns. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I do not think the manpower you get out of recruitment campaigns lessens the manpower you eventually get when you partially and fully mobilize.

Now I'm wanting to play another Australia game all of a sudden..

Manpower is going to be one problem, yes. That and the fact that I think my armies will never be as large as my aspirations.
While I'm at it, I think the Fascist Australian government needs some work: Paul Roseville. J.H.A. Durant. Peter Spearitt. James McCarty. Norman J. Makin. Ron Law.
These 'luminaries' comprise a Fascist Australian government, and frankly, I don't know who any of them are (Where's OneAussieMan when you need him? ;) ). I would have thought that Colonel Eric Campbell and his New Guard cronies, or an assortment thereof, would have made a much better choice as the Fascist option.

Thanks for the tip on central planning, too. That will be very useful. But a maximum 4 tech teams for Australia?

3 to start with... 4th one kicks in when you hit a base IC of 40. 5th slot @ 60. Another at 80. Last at 100.

So, you need IC and manpower, eh? Obviously. Indonesia has a decent amount of manpower, even if they're not your core/nat'l provinces. Not much IC, though. So maybe what you could do, is have your Fascist coup real early and take the entire Allied clan to war against the Dutch East Indies. They have exactly 4 VP's (victory point provinces). Aim to take them as fast as possible, in a well-planned lightning-fast invasion. It'll be over real quick... and eventually you'll have a nice supplement to your manpower... once you've attained a certain level on the mobilization slider.

Then you've got to expand your IC base... there's no way around it. Unless you want to try something outrageously sneaky/dangerous/impossible against Japan, there's no real IC in your area to conquer (much less, conquer easily), thus you need to build your own. Then you just need to be opportunistic about when to strike... and where. Sounds fun... :cool: