• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm traveling for a few weeks and will be unable to play in that time. The Divergence of Nations will continue with New Numidia when I get back.

Original timeline history of Colonial Mexico
The Spanish conquest of the Mexican region began in 1519 with their war against the Aztecs followed by war against the Mayans, ending with complete Spanish control of the region by 1697. The colonial region was known as New Spain (which also included colonies further north and south as well as the Caribbean) and the wealth that flowed back to Spain made them a dominant power within Europe. Mexico remained a Spanish colony until 1821 when the Mexican Empire declared their independence while Spain was struggling in Europe.

STZZF2R.png

We lead the free nation of New Numidia, an administrative republic in colonial Mexico. With no military to speak of and the only friendly Sunni nations half a world away, we can't get any allies. For now New Numidia is all alone in this new world.

Republican tradition starts at only 43. We elect our first leader under the new order, the bureaucrat Khidr Khair ad-Din Selmi (4/1/1). He's a pretty poor general (-/1/2/1). With no prestige yet, I take the mission to increase prestige (which needs 50 prestige).

As a former Algerian colony we're Berber culture though we have no Berber provinces - instead all our provinces are Mayan or Zapotec and both are accepted cultures. We can culture shift to Mayan, but I'm not going to forsake our ancient traditions so easily! Our religion is Sunni and we sit at 0% on the piety/impiety scale. There's only one animist province, our capital, Campeche, which is being converted.

Our economy is still in its infancy with a profit of only 1.69 ducats per month (and that with no advisors). We have 6 infantry and, with a force limit of 9, I immediately start building a couple of cannons. I also fabricate a claim on the Aztec province of Tlapanec.

For technology, we have admin tech 14, diplo tech 17 and military tech 17. This is lagging well behind the Western colonizers of the area and we're even behind the Native American Cherokee who have military tech 18 (presumably after reforming their government). New Numidia starts with the following idea groups: Trade; Expansion; Plutocratic; Quality. However as a new nation we have not taken any ideas from these groups yet.

3IYWsbI.png

The Cherokee are at war with the Aztec (cleansing the heresy), and with their superior technology and the Aztecs having been ravaged by Algeria and France, the Aztecs are just a piñata for the Cherokee to beat up on. The war is soon over with the Aztecs losing half their remaining lands to the Cherokee and converting to Totemist.

t4947HA.png

Our stability is up to +1 by refusing the event, Sale of Titles. But then we have Republican Traditions debated. I really want to keep New Numidia as a republic (non-Christian republics are rare as it is) so I choose to lose the 1 stability in exchange for +20 Republican tradition. We're up to 66 Republican tradition now.

The claim is successfully forged against the Aztecs. We have no peace treaty holding us back (that was Algiers fighting in the last war and we aren't beholden to any treaties they made), so I declare war immediately. With other decisions and events, piety is up to 60% (+1.8% missionary strength, +6% army morale, +12% fort defence). The Battle of Mexico is laughably easy as we have 8,000 to their 1,000. Both Mexico and Tlapanec are besieged.

Campeche is successfully converted to Sunni, and for the moment we're 100% Sunni. I also begin fabricating a claim on Cherokee's Huastec. The Cherokee are involved in wars against other Native American tribes to the north and I'm keeping an eye on them in case things go poorly for the Cherokee. Not particularly likely, but I hang on to that hope.

The Mexico and Tlapanec sieges complete and we can't get to last Aztec province of Sayultecas (no military access, and no visibility of the sea route) so I conclude a peace deal taking just Tlapanec.

b8gRbmx.png

Start coring Tlapanec and institute harsh treatment as per normal. We can now fabricate a claim on Mexico (Tenochtitlan), capital of the Aztecs.

Meanwhile I think about my prospects against the Cherokee...

TSWNRe5.png

Unfortunately Cherokee have over twice our force limit 28 vs 11, and have 27,000 men in their army. As mentioned, their tech is ahead of ours - military tech 18 vs military tech 17. They've also completed Offensive ideas and are working on Defensive ideas. And to cap it all, they have a 5/2/3/- general. I don't think I'll be taking on the Cherokee any time soon. A diplomat is off to improve relations. Maybe one day I'll be able to ally them, or at least get military access through them.

With no prospect of a war against the Cherokee, I cancel the mission to increase prestige. Instead I take a mission to fortify our capital, Campeche, by building an Earth Rampart (level 1 fort).

The claim on Aztec's Mexico completes. I'm now just waiting for our truce to expire. Meanwhile I complete coring Tlapanec and convert it to Sunni.

In the elections of 1674, the military candidate Husayn Benzine (1/1/4) is elected. I really want to get up to military tech 18 for the upgraded units. Though even with equal military tech, the Cherokee could probably still stomp us if they chose.

The Earth Rampart completes in Campeche and we're rewarded with +46 manpower there. As the Aztec truce nears its end, I start building up to our new force limit.

EYmeCmd.png

I pick up our first idea, Shrewd Commerce Practices (Trade ideas 1) for +10% trade power. Our economy is still meagre at +2.26 ducats per month. We actually only have 1 active merchant - he's in the Mexico trade node. The only other node in which we have trade power is Panama and we can't even see the node to send a merchant there.

In 1678, our Aztec truce is over and I declare the war for Mexico. We have 11,000 men to their 2,000.

ZS4R1l0.png

We take out the 1,000 guarding Mexico with no casualties of our own. The siege of their capital is over in 79 days (using 5 artillery). With no prospect of being able to reach Sayultecas, we immediately agree a peace treaty in which we take Mexico.

UPIqZim.png

Again begin coring and institute harsh treatment for our new conquest.

In the elections of 1679 another military candidate, Mûsâ Benzai (1/1/4), is elected as I continue to push for military tech while pushing our republican tradition up. It looks like I won't be converting Mexico too soon (base tax 10), so our new leader is going to go the impious route for the moment to get us military tech for cheaper.

O6lTeeX.png

We research Carbine (military tech 18) getting Afsharid Reformed Cavalry and Leather Cannon as unit upgrades.

As Mexico is cored, Aztec becomes an accepted culture. All cultures in our nation, Aztec, Maya and Zapotec, are accepted.

Meanwhile Cherokee ends their war against the Choctaw by vassalizing them, increasing their strength still further. They don't seem to have suffered any significant casualties in the war.

Since Mexico is a gold province, we're now earning quite a decent amount; a profit of +6.58 ducats per month (while at 0% land maintenance). I hire our first advisor, an Army Organizer for +10% land force limits. Why? Well I'm hoping that an improvement in our army strength might get us some alliances, or at least encourage the Cherokee to pick on softer targets. I build up to our new force limit of 15.

This is awesome :)

I just read the whole thing in two sittings and Jesus, that's some crazy world, what with the powerful Byzantines, the Mamluks becoming the present-day Abbasids, Poland super stronk, Cherokee super stronk, Algerian colonial empire, Mamlukean colonial empire, Austria under Naples, Russia very weak, Scandinavia...

The list goes on :)

This is awesome :)

I just read the whole thing in two sittings and Jesus, that's some crazy world, what with the powerful Byzantines, the Mamluks becoming the present-day Abbasids, Poland super stronk, Cherokee super stronk, Algerian colonial empire, Mamlukean colonial empire, Austria under Naples, Russia very weak, Scandinavia...

The list goes on :)

Thanks for the support. Some of the most interesting stuff is the ahistorical development that's happened even without me even being involved. Those Byzzies and Cherokee for example have only ever benefited indirectly from my own actions, but have changed the dynamics completely in Eurasia and North America respectively.

Thanks for the support. Some of the most interesting stuff is the ahistorical development that's happened even without me even being involved. Those Byzzies and Cherokee for example have only ever benefited indirectly from my own actions, but have changed the dynamics completely in Eurasia and North America respectively.

The type of map you've got is very rare :)

Can we have some world and statistic maps please?

Can we have some world and statistic maps please?
Political map for each continent will follow at the end of the New Numidia round. Any particular other maps you want to see?

Does Cherokee AI choose expansion ideas or something?
Good question. I'll have to check out the ideas the Cherokee have chosen when I get a chance.

At this point Cherokee have taken Religious (6/7), Defensive (7/7), Trade (3/7), Offensive (3/7). So no colonists for them at the moment. I've never actually played a Native American nation before, but as I understand it they can get a colonist before they reform with their Native ideas. On reforming they lose their Native ideas and so also their extra colonist. I imagine Cherokee got their colonist idea relatively early to expand so much.

I0pLCwG.png

For the near future we now have no realistic prospects to conquer more territory. And we're living in perpetual fear of a Cherokee attack...

phVzNcd.png

Well we're safe for the moment with the Cherokee under a regency.

In 1684 we elect the military candidate, Khidr Khair ad-Din Ilaes (1/1/4), to ensure I keep up or maybe one day pull ahead in military compared to our Native American neighbour.

JDJvZro.png

Khidr is only 31 and so good for lots of re-election. Our Republican tradition is up to 85 (and will be even higher when we need to re-elect). With that in mind, I start planning towards Westernization. I want to hoard up some monarch points and get 1 or 2 re-elections of our leader first.

Meanwhile I'm going to focus on improving our nation internally. In particular, the pride of our nation is Mexico which provides the bulk of our income with the gold it produces: we get 6.12 ducats from the province's gold compared to 5.51 ducats from tax, production and trade across all our other provinces combined, and that's with it being wrong religion and only having the tier 1 Production building. I start with a Workshop there (tier 2 Production building, +20% goods produced).

Now that I have military tech 18, I switch to pushing piety with our new ruler as I do want to be able to convert Mexico at some point. As such Khidr adopts the title of Khalifa and makes a donation to get up to +25% piety.

lrICH7f.png

The Workshop completes in 1685 and I start on a Courthouse (tier 2 Government building, +10% tax, -1 revolt risk).

Our military organizer dies and our force limit drops back down to 13. We're at 15 regiments, 2 over our force limit but our economy is going strong so I'm just going to leave them be for the moment.

Our military is divided by Opposing Military Schools resulting in our stability dropping down to -2.

I build a Star Fort (tier 2 fort, fort level 3 and +0.1 missionary strength) now in Mexico. The fort completes in 1688 and with my improving piety I'm now just 0.2% shy of being able to convert the Totemist populace of Mexico. I spend 444 admin power to boost stability up to +1 to help with conversion. A missionary is sent to Mexico and though he should take 256 months to convert them, I hope I'll be able to push up piety even more.

1TGwnAG.png

Our relations with the Aztecs have improved sufficiently so that, after guaranteeing their independence, I can now make an alliance with them. They're not the best of allies as they've been reduced to a single province with backwards tech, but they're better than nothing.

Shortly thereafter the Cherokee are also willing to make an alliance.

Og4K9SK.png

This is excellent and our short-term safety is secured.

In 1689 we re-elect Khidr Khair ad-Din Ilaes (2/2/5); Republican tradition drops from 93 to 83 (tooltip says we lose 13 Republican tradition but in fact it only drops by 10). The Cherokee king, Tulatiska I, comes of age, so it's a good thing we got that alliance when we did. Tulatiska reforms their government into an Administrative Monarchy.

pngP2lr.png

Cherokee declares war on the Pequot tribe (which I can't see - being Muslim tech and having no Exploration idea really limits our geographical knowledge of the Americas).

The Nobles Demand Recompensation resulting in stability dropping down to +0 and our treasury falling to 370 ducats. I'm trying to keep the treasury decently high in anticipation of a difficult period of Westernization. I again boost stability back up to +1 with admin power to ensure the missionary keeps up the good work of spreading the Sunni faith to Mexico.

The Cherokee annex the Powhatan in their war against the Pequot.

By 1692 Khidr's piety is up to 75% and conversion of Mexico is halfway done, due to finish in 1694. I'd prefer to wait for that to complete, but we're stable; have a good alliance with the Cherokee; and have good monarch points, and so I start Westernization immediately.

pUySzWN.png

Stability plummets to -2 and once again I spend the admin power to get it up to +1. The revolt chances aren't bad. Only Mexico has any significant risk and our entire army is camping there.

z7wXIjq.png

Last edited:
I thought you were Muslim tech. Did i miss something?

My mistake - definitely am Muslim tech (as it's not even worth Westernizing if your're Eastern tech). Thanks for spotting that - fixed my post above.

If you're allied with Cherokee now, you should be beelining the next idea slot for Exploration. Possibly annex French Mexico once you've westernised. Maybe even get access through Cherokee and conquer the north...

edit: No-CB annex Caddo and expand from there?

I decided to binge-read your AAR after you gave me such helpful advice for mine. That is one crazy world you have there. I'm loving the fact that you created a Muslim colonial nation and decided to play as it.

tfMFznD.png

We have begun the Westernization of New Numidia. Unfortunately Government Officials resist Westernization. This is surely the first Westernization resistance of many and we're never going to want to choose any option that will slow down the process. Well losing 100 admin power does slow us down, but not as much as the loss of 120 progress (which is just about all our progress so far). So we lose 100 admin power and are down to -94 admin.

The Cherokee war against the Pequot ends with the annexation of the Pequot. They follow that up by annexing their vassal, the Choctaw. The might of Cherokee continues to grow unhindered.

HIj9piG.png

Naples (who we recall from the last turn hold Austria in a personal union) wants to come for my little Aztec buddy. They've just lost some big wars in Europe and are obviously looking for some easy pickings. This is a good chance to see how strong the Cherokee are against an advanced Western nation. I accept the call and naturally we take control of the war.

I call in our allies Cherokee and they accept the call. Surprisingly though they don't take over as war leader.

ZT5nedM.png

The raw numbers may be against us, but with only 19 transports, I think we'll be able to deal with the Europeans' forces as they're dropped off. I don't like risking our ruler, but don't want to spend military power for a general, so Khidr Khair ad-Din Ilaes becomes a so-so general (2/2/1/-).

Mexico is finally converted, ensuring that New Numidia is 100% Sunni.

cXoRh83.png

Our Provinces resist Westernization and we grant some autonomy losing 10% taxes but in exchange we get -1 revolt risk.

In 1694 we again re-elect Khidr Khair ad-Din Ilaes (3/3/6). Republican tradition is down to 80 now. With the improved ruler stats, we can now pass the decision Denouncement of Sect Practices for +10% piety and a further -1 revolt risk. Piety is up to 100% (+10% morale and +20% fort defence, and the no longer useful +3% missionary strength).

13,000 Reactionary rebels rise up Mixtec but they are handily defeated by our 15,000-strong army.

The Naples army is finally sighted in Tarasco: 14,700 men in Cherokee land between New Numidia and the Aztecs. Predictably they move onto the Aztec province, Sayultecas. Aztec's 2,000 are wiped out instantly. I won't be able to take on Naples myself so I'm waiting for the Cherokee before heading west.

PmPD3OS.png

The Cherokee attack the Naples army north of the Aztecs. Even before I can reinforce the battle, the Naples army is shattered, losing half their number. We follow it up with battle in Zacatecas - all three allies bring a total of 36,200 men against the 8,800 Naples survivors. Although it's another victory over the Europeans, casualties are actually heavier on our side and the Naples expeditionary army survives.

We continue to chase down the survivors for a few more battles until there is no more Naples army in America. Despite the pain of having to fight these battles, there is some consolation in that our 'battles won' is at 83% and with the superiority war goal we get a ticking war score for battles won over 80%.

Nobles resist Westernization resulting in 16 Noble rebels rising up in Mexico. Our generous allies, the Cherokee, put down the rebels for us. High Command resist Westernization results in -30% army tradition and -30% navy tradition. Well, we didn't have much of either anyway, but are now down to 0% in both.

8qN14fB.png

And now France wants that pitiful Aztec territory for themselves. Can the Cherokee hold off France as well? In contrast to Naples, France already has a number of American colonies. If we're successful I might even be able to get territory in the war from Cosmopolitaine Mexico. But with local Western troops and a good staging area for their armies, it's going to be much harder to beat France compared to Naples. Also with Cherokee still in the war against Naples, are we even sure they'd side with us? And so I sadly decline the call.

23,000 French and colonial men arrive in the Aztec land which swiftly falls to siege. Within 9 months the final Aztec province is annexed to Cosmopolitaine Mexico.

lwtFe2s.png

We suffer more negative Westernization events, but nothing serious - some lost admin power here, some lost prestige there.

In 1699 we re-elect Khidr Khair ad-Din Ilaes (4/4/6) once again. Republican tradition is down to 78.

I'm trying to keep the war against Naples going for as long as possible to keep us buddy-buddy with the Cherokee. This doesn't work as planned as the Cherokee agree a separate peace with Naples and the fragile alliance between us is broken. So in December 1699 I too agree peace with Naples taking just 72 ducats in the peace deal.

YzgZm3u.png

Re-establishing the alliance with the Cherokee is no longer possible. With the loss of the Aztec, we are once again alone in the world.

There are more reactionaries in Tlaxcala. We have 14,000 to their 13,000 and we take heavy casualties but still win. Fortunately our economy is still going strong and manpower is still high. Westernization is only a matter of time now (and I've decided to continue playing out this turn until we complete Westernization).

pHPhFWZ.png

In November 1701 New Numidia is fully westernized. This allows us to take military tech 19 immediately: Gustavian Infantry for +0.5 military tactics. If Khidr Khair ad-Din Ilaes can lead New Numidia into a sizable military tech advantage, they might even have a chance in the inevitable showdown against the Cherokee.

The turn ends with this new nation, a Sunni Republic forged from the ashes of the Aztec Empire, taking its place alongside the nations of Western Europe. Its position is particularly precarious and I long to see how their future will unfold.

Pesky Europeans, always ruining the fun in the New World. :p

This is why I hate Portugal in-game much more than France...whenever I play outside of Europe, there comes puny little Portugal with some BATSHIT ALLIES and some strange ideas about my country's assets (in short: All belongs to Mother Portugal!). Once they are stripped off their vassals even Ryukyu can beat them with their arms crossed behind their back, but try to slaughter yourself through them in earlier wars first!

This is why I hate Portugal in-game much more than France...whenever I play outside of Europe, there comes puny little Portugal with some BATSHIT ALLIES and some strange ideas about my country's assets (in short: All belongs to Mother Portugal!). Once they are stripped off their vassals even Ryukyu can beat them with their arms crossed behind their back, but try to slaughter yourself through them in earlier wars first!

I guess that's very true. France is the bane of Europe and Portugal is the bane of the rest of the world.

Elsewhere

Wales
Great Britain declared a war of reconquest against Wales for Gloucestershire. Britain, along with their ally, Castile, took on Wales, Scandinavia, Munster, Bavaria and Savoy. The peace resulted in Scandinavia returning a Russian core in Finland. In 1692 Britain initiated another reconquest war for Gloucestershire with the sides the same as before. In the peace this time, Wales lost Gloucestershire to Britain. 203 years after we handed them off, they became a one-province minor.
M8Fj32j.png

Ideas: Administrative, Quality, Naval, Aristocratic, Maritime, Trade (3/7).

The Mamluks
The Mamluks have continued their expansion in the east, colonizing Hokkaido. Optimatoi, the Byzantine province in Anatolia, defected to the Mamluks. Byzantium and Poland led a Holy War against the Mamluks and her minor allies. The Mamluks lost the recently gained Optimatoi in the peace.
FmzfSYt.png

Ideas: Naval (5/7), Expansion (4/7), Defensive, Maritime (4/7).

Poland
In 1665 they became the Defender of the Orthodox faith. They then led an alliance which included France against Russia and Byzantium for the conquest of Moskva (Moscow). The war was successful and Russia ceded Moskva to Poland, finally removing that Russian exclave from Poland's lands. Russia however has greatly expanded at the expense of the hordes. In 1689 Poland sided with Brandenburg against the Saxon emperor in their successful conquest attempt. At the same time they joined Byzantium in their successful conquest attempt against the Mamluks. Later they defended their ally, Byzantium, against Naples aggression and gained 4 Hungarian provinces from Austria in the peace.
LnJy0qv.png

Ideas: Diplomatic, Aristocratic, Economic, Humanist (3/7), Trade (3/7).

Naples
Naples embraced the counter-reformation and became the Defender of the Catholic faith. They annexed Genoa in 1649. They then declared a war of conquest against Milan, a good idea if they wanted to eventually form Italy and exactly what I was thinking of at the end of last turn. However the Holy Roman Emperor, Saxony, took over Milan's defence and so Naples-Austria was also up against Brandenburg, Croatia, Byzantium and Venice. Predictably Naples lost the war with Austria losing Pfalz and Elsass to the Palatinate, Naples losing Malta to Aragon and Siena to Milan. Naples was also forced to release Genoa.

In 1658 they annexed Epirus. In 1691 they declared a war of conquest against Byzantium, which pulled in Byzantium's ally, Poland, which in turn pulled in France and Milan. And so again Naples lost the war. In the peace Austria lost 4 Hungarian provinces to Poland and Naples lost Corfu to Venice, Epirus to Byzantium and the Baleares to Aragon. Their last attempt to gain some territory was their attempted conquest of the Aztecs as we observed in our turn. Although they failed in their attempt, they didn't lose anything in the war. The turn ended with the personal union over Austria still intact.
inGot4j.png

Ideas: Trade, Quantity, Economic, Naval, Exploration.

What happened to Algiers, our former colonial overlord?
In 1679 they became Defender of the Sunni faith, but not much otherwise.
FzlJ2w9.png

What happened to Majapahit, the unpicked nation?
Absolutely nothing. The rest of Java has been fully colonized by outsiders.

Europe and surrounding area in 1701
YkYdQ8r.png

Poland, France, Castile and Great Britain have all made some gains, consolidating their strength in Europe. Byzantium is also a growing power. The balance of religions between Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox is maintained.
dnL6BGm.png

Rest of the World in 1701
eKDSazC.png

The great Aztec Empire has fallen and the Cherokee have grown to become the largest nation in North America. The colonies of France and Britain represent the most significant European interests in the region, though Portugal, Castile and Algiers (through now independent New Numidia) all have some colonies.

DYH29e6.png

South America has been carved up between Portugal, Castile and France. The Inca hold on to some non-coastal land.

hZI99IN.png

The Mamluks and Algiers remain the dominant powers in North Africa, while Britain, France, Portugal and Castile have all found room to establish colonies in sub-Saharan Africa.

KSvqsSJ.png

Russia, Vijayanagar and the Ming have all consolidated their position as the dominant powers in Asia. The Timurids have collapsed and Persia has been the main beneficiary. The Oirat Horde is the last remaining steppe horde of significance. Manchu have regained their independence from Korea. Meanwhile, most of the colonizable lands have been grabbed by the various colonizers, Britain, Portugal, Castile, France and the Mamluks.

Scores
5XdByFW.png

Due to our reluctance to ever challenge France, they continue to dominate the score-sheet. Poland remains in 2nd. The Mamluks' western territory remains unchanged but they've continued to expand through Asian colonization and so have risen to 8th. Despite losing many wars, Naples have risen from 11th to 9th off the back of their personal union over Austria. Wales' demotion to one-province minor status has seen them drop down to 23rd. Algiers sits at 73rd. Our newly formed New Numidia has no points.

My next choice

Korea
Ue1mfOM.png

At one point the Manchurian lands were under Korea. Now Manchu is independent and at war with Korea. Historically Korea was led by the Joseon dynasty for the entire EU4 period. They suffered from invasions from Manchu in the 17th century but a period of peace followed in the 18th century.

Ideas: Defensive, Naval, Maritime, Economic (0/7).

Austria
nOfPI8R.png

Although they started as Holy Roman Emperor, they long ago surrendered that title to Saxony. They did gain Hungary and expand somewhat before falling into a personal union under Naples. Historically the Habsburg dynasty of Austria led the Holy Roman Empire for most of the period until its dissolution, and through dynastic alliances they expanded throughout Europe becoming France's chief rival.

Ideas: Diplomatic, Economic, Defensive, Expansion, Influence (4/7), Offensive (0/7).

Mamlukes in Japan? I think you've successfully diverted their history by picking the expansion idea. :p

Austria is a significant European power and you could probably overthrow the PU with Naples, but Korea would be more of an interesting challenge trying to recover the lands lost to Manchu while not getting eaten up by Ming or Russia.