• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JohnathanCrow

Captain
30 Badges
Mar 31, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
Being new to Victoria II, I thought I'd try a few games with Japan on the HOD bookmark. I'm getting the hang of the mechanics, but need a little clarity.

Westernisation is available immediately, but if I westernise the Meiji Restoration decision becomes unavailable, and the reforms are replaced. Does it matter? Do the bonuses they provide become obsolete or disappear anyway? In other words, should I take the restoration decision, spend those points on reforms and then westernise, or just westernise right away?

Also, do I need to stockpile resources my provinces produce if I want to prioritise supplying my own factories, or is that automatic? I built a cement factory in a region with a few coal provinces, but it was losing money.

Thanks in advance.

You should westernise straight away. The reforms are removed upon westernisation.

You don't actually run your economy. You can influence it, sure, maybe even build some of it, but you don't run it. When a factory is running, and has workers, it will automatically try and source its inputs and sell its produce, first to your population, and then to the economic sphere you're in, and then to the world at large. You don't need to build factories that require goods in provinces producing them, as you can simply import things. (There are bonuses for building in regions with required goods, though!) If it is losing money, there are loads of reasons why that might be the case. Most importantly, it is likely that you are simply not efficient enough in your industry, and you will need some commerce technologies to boost that. Secondly, there may be no market for the factory to sell its cement. You can rectify this with subsidies, or by building more factories (they require cement as maintenance).

Price is globally determined, and the same for all nations. Building somewhere with its input good doesn't make a good profitable.