Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations - Dev Diary 10: Balance Changes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When you start to diplomatically annex a country, doing so will have a ticking cost of up to 15 diplomatic points per month. When your point expenditure reaches the country's total base tax * 15 (so a base tax 10 country would take 150 diplomatic points to annex), the country will be annexed. This means that diplomatic annexation is no longer a 'free' alternative to outright conquest, but uses a different kind of points and allows you avoid all the nationalist problems you get from just taking the provinces.
Doesn't that seem too fast to any one?

A 10 base tax vassal will cost 150 diplo-points to annex. Only costing 15 diplo points per month means it will only take 10 months to annex the vassal.

With the vassal diplo annexed, you get a free core and you avoid rebels.

Am I missing anything?

A 10 base tax vassal will cost 150 diplo-points to annex. Only costing 15 diplo points per month means it will only take 10 months to annex the vassal.

Am I missing anything?

How about there is no way to get 15 Diplo per month? Your example basically means that you will spend 10 months without any DP. No peace deals. No tech. No Diplo Ideas. Do this 4 times, and you just lost an entire idea alltogether. 5 times and you miss out on a Diplo tech.

How about there is no way to get 15 Diplo per month? Your example basically means that you will spend 10 months without any DP. No peace deals. No tech. No Diplo Ideas. Do this 4 times, and you just lost an entire idea alltogether. 5 times and you miss out on a Diplo tech.
Yeah but you might have those points saved up and then it's a bit too fast.

Why it isn't like before, or coring like in EU3; and instead of spending points to be able to be able to... spend points to speed it up? That seems like much better strategic decision.

Yeah but you might have those points saved up and then it's a bit too fast.

The floor for annexing a 10 BT vassal is 10 years, 10 months, not just 10 months.

Factor the costs properly. It still needs to wait 10 years to annex, ties up a relations slot and now adds more AE, the faster annexation is something to offset that. Even the tiniest vassal takes a full 1/3 the time you'd get nationalism, and on top of that you get far less income/manpower/FL from it during those first 10 years.

When you start to diplomatically annex a country, doing so will have a ticking cost of up to 15 diplomatic points per month. When your point expenditure reaches the country's total base tax * 15 (so a base tax 10 country would take 150 diplomatic points to annex), the country will be annexed. This means that diplomatic annexation is no longer a 'free' alternative to outright conquest, but uses a different kind of points and allows you avoid all the nationalist problems you get from just taking the provinces.

OK, just noticed my game automatically updated to 1.6.1, and already noticed the diplomatic annexation costs in diplo points.

It applies to vassals of course, but does it also apply to integrating lesser partners of a Personal Union? (I guess it does, but still hope it doesn't as in 1 game I have France and England under a PU. :( )

It costs 15 diplo power points per month, so what is the lower limit of power points? -100? -200? -1000?

OK, just noticed my game automatically updated to 1.6.1, and already noticed the diplomatic annexation costs in diplo points.

It applies to vassals of course, but does it also apply to integrating lesser partners of a Personal Union? (I guess it does, but still hope it doesn't as in 1 game I have France and England under a PU. :( )

It costs 15 diplo power points per month, so what is the lower limit of power points? -100? -200? -1000?

-100 and you don't get any until the integration is done/cancelled as you cannot possibly have +16 dip points per month.

I didnt read all 35 pages but why are all the nerfs not listed. Like the whole dipo idea tree was nerfed. Dipo relations was nerfed in the dipo idea tree and expo tree. Why were these changes made? Was austria too strong? In every game i have played since the expo austria is getting destroyed and they dont stay the emperor very long. The dipo idea was always my first choice and now I wont even look at it.

Discipline was nerfed 50% in most ares of the game. The only part that wasnt nerfed was the advisor. Sweden's nation idea now only gives 7.5. why?

Am I missing anything?

Well, -I- missed these posts at the end of the thread, but rofl. What a joke. Too fast? 10 base tax? That's like what, less than two provinces in Europe? Sometimes less than 1? There are dozens of provinces that are 9+ basetax (and even a weak, early Agricultural Revolution with +1 basetax will push it over. Not to mention that we don't know if this counts Temples and other buildings, and it probably does since other "basetax" calculations use that.)

Most vassals are closer to 50 base tax than 10. 750 diplo points is more than a tech. Almost 5 years. What a joke.

Diplo-annexing needs to use Diplomatic Reputation to reduce time-to-annex. Right now it's a useless stat anyway.

I didnt read all 35 pages but why are all the nerfs not listed. Like the whole dipo idea tree was nerfed. Dipo relations was nerfed in the dipo idea tree and expo tree. Why were these changes made? Was austria too strong? In every game i have played since the expo austria is getting destroyed and they dont stay the emperor very long. The dipo idea was always my first choice and now I wont even look at it.

Discipline was nerfed 50% in most ares of the game. The only part that wasnt nerfed was the advisor. Sweden's nation idea now only gives 7.5. why?

They nerfed those so they could add more mp costly policies

so instead of decisions and normal ideas you get mp sinking policies and nerfed ideas