• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Raeheart_

Major
54 Badges
May 27, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
Some time ago, there was a thread called Game of The Week/Month. Here it is. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?679231-CKII-Game-of-the-Week-Month. Unfortunately, the forumite who ran it became unable to continue. After conferring with like-minded people, I have decided to resurrect this idea, but in a slightly different format.

It occurs to me there are two groups of people on this forum; the people who are experienced players, who have a detailed knowledge of the mechanics. These are the people who cry 'Nerf the Norse!' and such. Then there are the new players, who know much less about how the game works, but are eager to learn. Hopefully this new thread will provide existing players with new ideas to play, and be able to swap stories, and new players will be able to learn from the old. Less of a competition, more of a book club for Crusader Kings 2. So here goes!

New challenge! Page Seven! Go there!

Some ground rules.
1. No cheating. This isn't a competition, you have nothing to gain, not even fake internet points :)
1a. Exploits are fine. Part of the purpose of this thread is to find weaknesses in the engine
2. Be nice. You were once a noob too
3. Most games will involve taking a de jure kingdom. 'Bonus points' if you take the empire, after that.. impress me;)
3a. Similarly, most games will have a difficulty rating out of 5. This is to help new players. Feel free to PM me if you think the difficulty is wrong. (bear in mind this is for someone who has a handle on the mechanics, but isn't maxirage)
4. Have fun. This is a video game after all.
5. Don't just post a picture. Tell us a story! I want to know how you play CK2!

The First Weekly Game Challenge: Tutorial Island

Character: Murchad Ua Cheinnselaig
Challenge: Take Ireland. Beyond that, the world is your oyster.
Difficulty: 1/5

Some Screenshots
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/612799444133689555/8DACD53D1DFDD011CA6B9C164D01A68A54C8356F/
http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/612799444133533792/510A7E57F221C2C44308FBA1164D60FF50F7B3EB/

Last edited:
This sounds cool. I didn't participate in the old thread because the goals were sometimes a bit too specific (I want to play in my own way dammit!) but I'll give this one a try.

This sounds cool. I didn't participate in the old thread because the goals were sometimes a bit too specific (I want to play in my own way dammit!) but I'll give this one a try.

I agree. Especially the ones that required traits. It just felt too constrained.

Last edited:
Done :p

2014051700006.jpg

mwZl8Rg.jpg

Ha2vZbp.jpg

Wasn't the intend to tell your stories about your achievements, not posting pics. That's more than boring.

More like that..

If you want to revive the Game of the Week format I would suggest making it more of a cooperative venture.

Design a scenario around an interesting start (there are lots on the historical characters list) and then just turn people loose on it. Then they can discuss strategies and share stories and all that and you can see where different people's games go.

I could be wrong but I think a lot of people were interested in the idea for the sake of trying new characters or time periods, but were turned off by the whole race to the finish aspect.

Wasn't the intend to tell your stories about your achievements, not posting pics. That's more than boring.

More like that..

Well there isn't anything really exciting to say about forming Ireland. Besides being pagan but that's shown in my screenshot.

The first 20 years were pretty boring, I couldn't manage to fabricate a single claim and my first two dudes died of poor health in their 40s without doing anything besides inheriting Leinster. Them dying early was actually a good thing, because I had sent my heir, Murchad, in Ängermanland to change his religion to Norse (for fun, and also CBs). Thus in 1088 the actual conquest of Ireland could begin, using the mighty Norse county conquest CB and all the money I had stockpiled (and then looted).

Murchad was crowned king of Ireland in 1100 but he became incapable after a battle and died at 31, before he could unite the Island. The task had to be completed by his young son Cathal.

And now... I'll probably continue playing this game for a bit, to see where things go.

Had a little dabble at this myself, but I "cheated" by starting as Munster. De jure claim to fully control the duchy, then asked Pope for a claim on duchy of Connacht. De jure claim to fully hold the duchy. 5/13. Now thinking of how to get the other 2 counties. Once Ireland is formed, you can ask for vassalisation rather easily.

Last edited:
Well there isn't anything really exciting to say .......my first two dudes died of poor health in their 40s without doing anything besides inheriting Leinster....I had sent my heir, Murchad, in Ängermanland to change his religion to Norse (for fun, and also CBs).....Murchad was crowned king of Ireland in 1100 but he became incapable after a battle and died at 31, before he could unite the Island. The task had to be completed by his young son Cathal.

Thats exciting enough for me. Satisfied.
Thanks. :)

OK, now your turn. How did you conquer Ireland. (And I promise the next challenge will be more exciting :p)

It all began with Earl Murchad the 'Kinslayer'. My opening moves were the norm for any CK2 player, I plotted to murder my land-holding father.

Unfortunately, nobody really wanted to murder their diligent liege. I was forced to wait for the old git to die before acquiring my birthright.

So I waited. I waited and waited and I waited. The old bastard lived to 79, before death finally got round to him.

Then it began. My great conquest of Ire- Oh wait, no, my chancellor hadn't produced any claims, so I was forced to wait yet again.

Throughout all of this, I was surprisingly rich. When my chancellor FINALLY got a claim on Kildare. I annexed the dude after a VERY close battle, and became a duke.

Then the RNG looked favorably upon me. He not only gave me another claim on Thomond, he gave me depressed. This is like, the BEST trait in the game.

With my character's new depressed outlook on life, he decided to imprison and banish every single land-holder in the entire duchy. After he stole everything, he, for some reason, imprisoned and executed every single family member bar his 2 surviving sons.

He also offed his wife. Death finally got him after a while.

Then the reign of Donnchad the 'Drunk' began.

Not a particularly interesting reign, all he did was produce 2 daughters, a legitimate son & a bastard, before dying of camp fever.

Then began the reign of Queen Coblaith the 'Noble'.

Also not very interesting, she went Cathar, holy warred Desmond and Connaut, formed Ireland, switched back to Catholic, the vassalized the rest.

That reminds me, this has produced an interesting bug, where, it seems, I'm PERMENANTLY hostile to all Catholic nations in the game. I can start sieging England without war, even though im catholic..

I love the fact that depression can be considered the best trait in the game, because you're right, you can go hog wild with tyranny then kill yourself. And good post :)

Oh, I forgot. PM me ideas for challenges! It will stop me producing endless really boring ones!

I'd love to try this out but I'll wait for the next start - I'm tired of Ireland!

OK! Next start is Johan. Yes that Johan!