• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(802560)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Sep 6, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
What an easy way to create fidelity among your courtiers or unlanded family members.

There is a mod for this at the steam workshop, called "Ser" instead of "Sir" but there is a cap of only three or four knighthoods to give out.

I'd like to see unlimited knighthoods given in the official vanilla. since knighthoods don't pass down, it's not a problem.

I would not want an unlimited amount of knights as this is quite unrealistic. As far as I know knights were more often than not landed and had little fiefs of their own. Higher tier nobility
had "household" knights that were quite expensive. I think that knighthood is really missing from vanilla and that it should be incorporated, but that it should be quite expensive to have
knights at your court (to simulate the fief that they were given or the fee they were paid).

Tournaments would make more sense this way and they could include way more events around knights and knighthood...

that's not unrealistic at all!

en garde!

ok how about throwing in as official "grant estates" option like in CK2+.

Knight didn't ALWAYS have land. sometimes they were just men the king liked whom he wanted to give a nicety to.

or add a small estate in with the knighthood. an invisible estate like in CK2+ rather than portioning them out one of a very limited number of castles you have or can build.

I've always found it strange that the Frankish culture is the only ones that can raise Knights. As DamianR said, I'd like to see knights put in and very expensive. You could have one educate/squire your heir or a second son for a prestige boost with a risk of injury. Tournaments would be a good way for characters with good martial skills or a good showing to be knighted by another knight at the tournament, like the GoT mod.

Maybe the Frankish knight retinues could be renamed to "Chevaliers" or some version of that and Catholic lords could raise Knights or land knights with an honorary "Fief."

I've always found it strange that the Frankish culture is the only ones that can raise Knights. As DamianR said, I'd like to see knights put in and very expensive. You could have one educate/squire your heir or a second son for a prestige boost with a risk of injury. Tournaments would be a good way for characters with good martial skills or a good showing to be knighted by another knight at the tournament, like the GoT mod.

Maybe the Frankish knight retinues could be renamed to "Chevaliers" or some version of that and Catholic lords could raise Knights or land knights with an honorary "Fief."

Germans, Breton, Occitan can raise knights to. The iberian light cavallarie is also the spanish version of knigths but I think the point of this thread was that we want events and traits etc.

Adding grantable knighthoods for courtiers and vassals would be pretty cool. Assume like the honorary titles it'd come with a monthly prestige and income boost for that character?

Why?

I don't think the suggestion is to make them free or even unlimited. And perhaps not even hereditary.

But making knighthood very expensive - which doesn't make sense considering that it was one of the lowest noble titles and was certainly given out to people without money or land. Perhaps a pittance to your income to have them in your court or just an up front low cost of creating them, but not some kind of expensive tithe that makes it worthless to create them.

Knights were very common in medieval times. Even the lowest lords would have a few on retainer, and if a Knight held his own land it could amount to barely more than a farm to feed himself with. It's ahistorical to limit the granting of it or make it very expensive to do so.

What an easy way to create fidelity among your courtiers or unlanded family members.

There is a mod for this at the steam workshop, called "Ser" instead of "Sir" but there is a cap of only three or four knighthoods to give out.

I'd like to see unlimited knighthoods given in the official vanilla. since knighthoods don't pass down, it's not a problem.
You do know even owning a single county as puts 5+ knights under your command right with enough stable upgrades right?
That a single company of French/German/Norman/Breton unique retinue includes 300 Knights? And that the common cavalry retinue company have 100?

Knights were rare when compared to the population at large, they were as common as dirt at the social hierarchy levels (Barons, Counts, Dukes, Kings and Emperors) being any landed character in CK2 would mean.

I've always found it strange that the Frankish culture is the only ones that can raise Knights.

Are they? I've always presumed all heavy cavalry, and probably a lot of heavy infantry and light cavalry, represent Knights. It's just that the Frankish and associated cultures raise an unusually large amount of them.

Yes I'd love knighthoods. Perhaps a max of 7-10? Add +2 to martial ability and gives a positive opinion with everyone, nothing huge, like a 5. And they'd get a nice little trait. And to go with it maybe we could get chivalry orders, I know it's a bit more toward late game time frame, but who cares they'd be really fun.

What we call knighthoods today were pretty much puisne baronies for at least half the game period, and probably more. (EDIT: Rather, what we call barons today were more-or-less knights...)

For example, the barony of Arundel, one of the few early medieval English baronies would have been held by, for example, "Hugh of Arundel". An Englishman would have addressed him as Sir Hugh. He might well have had a vassal knight or ten, all of whom would also have been Sir Someone-or-other.

Only later - viz after the parliaments of 1296 and 1299 - do we see a widening gulf between the now-not-so-puisne barons (who formally date the creation of their barony from the summons to parliament, and not to letters patent, as happened later).

Knighthoods certainly weren't hereditary, and, originally, nor necessarily were the "baronies" represented in CK2, though it happened so often that it became hereditary.

I speak only for England; the practice might have been different in other countries.

Completely pointless. Most if not all male characters in western Europe would have been a knight in one form or another. Although, I think we can institute chivalric orders such as the Order of the Garter, Golden Fleece, Dragon, Star etc....

What if each county had a holding that could represent a small fief that might be granted to a knight? You could build a fief, though only one per de jure duchy, at a high cost and grant it to a knight. That knight could raise a company of men and contribute them to their favorite leader within their de jure kingdom or empire. Knights would still be expensive and uncommon while granting potentially powerful boons but also potentially being a powerful friend to your enemies.

I would like to see more honourary titles, so I support this.

knights existed in every part of Christian europe it wasn't just a french thing
Men similar to chivalrous knights, strong bodyguards and powerful landowners are found throughout the medieval world, from furusiyya to samurai.

I would like to see more honourary titles, so I support this.
Except it really just isn't an honorary title/position akin to cupbearer that you can just grant. Usually it was inherited, and it included much more than a salary and some renown.