• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
that the holy roman empire was fielding armies of 30,000 men in 1100.

Well, good old man Justinian was able to field around 350.000 men in total at his time (mid 500s)

I learned all of us thought we were good people before playing this game

True dat.

My list:

--Gay men in the middle ages could sire 8+ children to prove the masses wrong (yes they were his, console checked).
--The Romans could Restore themselves !?!?!?!
--If you were an emperor going alone in a pilgrimage costs you the same as bringing your entire capital to the trip.
--Bastards could only be legitimized for a few days after they were born.
--The Pope was such a bitch that wouldnt give up his holdings unless someone initiated ww3 or hired a f* ton of assassins.
--When a county forcefully changed administration, if its holdings didn't belong or were vassals of the previous owner werent conquered by the victor. Apparently in the medieval ages eviction was not a choice.
--The HRE apparently was a centralized state....
--Same for Italy in the 800s.....
--Poland will never into space.

Last edited:
Let us leave aside historical pedantry for once :D

We have learned that you can always see, from the first day on, if a child is a genius or an imbecile. Always.

We also learned that incest is the best thing that ever happened to mankind, and that the (Eastern) Roman Empire apparently had a decision to make themselves even more Roman...? Though if you had told an actual Byzantine he was not a complete Roman, he would have punched you. Also, if you occupied an entire country with all its holdings, with the king of the deafeated country being entirely at your mercy, what you will get out of that is normally just a county.

That if the initial Muslim invasions of the Byzantine empire fails the Byzantine empire may just steam roll them, they might even almost reform the roman empire only to be foiled by the pope keeping them out of Rome. If there's a really ambitious emperor he might just take the Territories of the Persian and Russian empires as well.

That if the Karlings manage to reunite the Successor states and then presides to reform Charlemagne's Holy Roman Empire, The Muslims in Spain and the pagans in eastern Europe are hating life.

That even Ireland can unite the British Isles under one empire.

That somehow even a Mongol can get made holy roman emperor.

When a baby is born, you can tell right away if it will.grow up sexy.

Homosexuality is caused by tournaments

I actually learned a lot about geography. I've never been good at it but I can now say I know more about the location of counties in France and England than I do about my own American states.

That castrating someone but keeping them in prison was physically impossible

When a baby is born, you can tell right away if it will.grow up sexy.

Homosexuality is caused by tournaments

Both true of course. Earlier homosexuality was caused by gladiators.

I learned that having the Karlings fall out of power when they did was a good thing, otherwise the slavic faith reforms and invades Jerusalem while the Catholic world trades Kingdoms like trading cards.

That you can never trust your landed family

That rulers who are losing a war saved face by calling their opponents pansies and saying it's only a flesh wound when ~99% of their troops are dead

That using manure to blow up the Kaiser is always a good plan (and somehow can work)

The Kingdom of Jeruselem is easier lost then gained

This doesn't really go with the theme of this thread, but this game influenced me to study history at college. But my parents told me a history degree is going to be pretty useless unless I become a teacher. :mellow: But thanks to this game I'll already know a decent amount of history, so I can spend more time at FSU watching our football team kick ass than studying :)

I learned all of us thought we were good people before playing this game

^ THAT.

1. That not using that kill button is the true test of a man's character.
2. That Muslims honor their word.
3. That Spain was right to kill the Aztecs. (Well, we already knew hat, but...)
4. That something was really, REALLY wrong with the Messalians.

I have learned that bastards of Pope have claim to the Papacy; there were no storms at the sea during the Middle Ages; pagans never married Christians and never allied with them; mercenaries heavily exceeded levies; retinues never revolted; Constantinople could be taken in no time and etc.

There are only two kinds of problems: Those which are solved with swords, and those which are solved with knives.
I honestly can't think of any problem in CKII that can't be solved by killing enough people.