+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Runemaster - Development Diary 12 - The Berserker

Lore Lady Paradox Dev Team SolSara's Avatar
    200k clubEuropa Universalis 3500k club

Runemaster - Development Diary 12 - The Berserker

We are back with another Dev diary, this time we’ll talk about the ones that go mad in battle - the Berserkers! This is Dev diary 12 for our upcoming RPG Runemaster, and the hero class in focus this week is - The Berserker.

The Berserker goes mad with rage in battle, a rage that quenches any pain and might block the memory of the battle afterwards. The sting of blades or the burn of fire cannot stop the Berserker. Some legends tell of Berserkers who in their battle rage could not differentiate between friends or foes, and had to be physically restrained at the end of a battle until it was safe to release them, when the battle rage had left them exhausted to the brink of death.

The first sign of a Troll Berserker is the biting of his shield while he froths at the mouth. The howl that erupts from his throat is beastly, and then he attacks without feeling the blades that tear at his flesh. Though he runs mad with rage, he knows the difference between allies and foes.

In the heat of battle, the Dwarf Berserker is gripped by fury and howls like a wild animal, bite the edge of her shield and goes mad with blood rage. She can smell fear like a rabid wolf and pounce upon those of her enemies that fear her the most.

The Human berserker is a warrior who during battle enters into a deadly rage. They feel no pain from wounds inflicted upon their body, they keep attacking until the last enemy lies dead and often do not remember the battle afterwards. Their enemies are not safe in battle, though their allies can fight safely by their side.

Beware the Giant Berserker, her madness comes from her thirst for battle and her ferocity is gargantuan. Enemies scatter before her, and in her rage she targets them with a frenzy unknown to most.

We end this dev diary with three of the Berserker’s unique abilities:
    Protective Presence - Increases the Armor of all squad members by 2. Lasts 3 turns.
    Break Armor - Deals damage equal to 80% of your Melee Damage and 150% of your Melee Pierce.
    Powerful Strike - Deals damage equal to 125% of your Melee Damage. Reduces your Armor by 25% for 1 turn.

And a teaser picture of the Giant Berserker:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dd_12_giant_berserker.jpg
Views:	3603
Size:	672.3 KB
ID:	107170

I hope you have enjoyed this Dev diary about the mighty Berserker, and come back next week for more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	human_hero_berserker_male_03.jpg‎
Views:	500
Size:	658.6 KB
ID:	107167  
    Senior Lore Developer - Runemaster

Vita Brevis, Ars Longa

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

No bear-dress for the bear-dresser? Would have been awesome, though perhaps the typical wolf-skin would look even better.

So, do skills change depending on the race or are they exactly the same for the class across all races?

And the way it's worded, is there human Berserkers of both genders?

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Mauer View Post
    So, do skills change depending on the race or are they exactly the same for the class across all races?

And the way it's worded, is there human Berserkers of both genders?
    No. For Every Race/Gender there is only one class. They said it already earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Thure View Post
    No. For Every Race/Gender there is only one class. They said it already earlier
    So basically the race/gender/class combinations are as follows:

Berserker
    • Human - Male - Thor
    • Troll - Male - Loki
    • Dwarf - Female - Thor
    • Giant - Female - Loki

Skald
    • Light Elf - Male - Thor
    • Giant - Male - Loki
    • Human - Female - Thor
    • Dark Elf - Female - Loki

Runemaster
    • Dwarf - Male - Thor
    • Dark Elf - Male - Loki
    • Light Elf - Female - Thor
    • Troll - Female - Loki

I deduced this because each class has to have a Thor/Loki option for each gender.
    Last edited by Finnway; 06-05-2014 at 01:42.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Quote Originally Posted by Finnway View Post
    So basically the race/gender/class combinations are as follows:

Berserker
    • Human - Male - Thor
    • Troll - Male - Loki
    • Dwarf - Female - Thor
    • Giant - Female - Loki

Skald
    • Light Elf - Male - Thor
    • Giant - Male - Loki
    • Human - Female - Thor
    • Dark Elf - Female - Loki

Runemaster
    • Dwarf - Male - Thor
    • Dark Elf - Male - Loki
    • Light Elf - Female - Thor
    • Troll - Female - Loki

I deduced this because each class has to have a Thor/Loki option for each gender.
    Yes that's how I understand it now. And it souns reasonable. 4 races for every class. Each class has two Thor and two Loki races. Each class has two female and two male choices. Yes. Looks good and very balanced.

Crusader Kings IIMagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Thure View Post
    Yes that's how I understand it now. And it souns reasonable. 4 races for every class. Each class has two Thor and two Loki races. Each class has two female and two male choices. Yes. Looks good and very balanced.
    Then I'll just add that the devs said it would be possible to switch sides aswell.
    Things I've made (Hope to add more in the future):

Alternate Spain Formation for EUIV: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...od)&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by shal5 View Post
    Then I'll just add that the devs said it would be possible to switch sides aswell.
    Yes. Of course

That's the part of the story I am looking forward to most. I will probably almost always betray my own side. *snicker *snicker

I guess you mean that you can switch between Thor and Loki, but for a moment I thought you meant it was possible to change gender.

QA - Drinker of Tears Paradox Dev Team MrNibbles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magritte2 View Post
    I guess you mean that you can switch between Thor and Loki, but for a moment I thought you meant it was possible to change gender.
    Just makes me think about the "Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity" from the Baldur's Gate series
    "Go for the eyes Mr.Nibbles, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MrNibbles View Post
    Just makes me think about the "Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity" from the Baldur's Gate series
    Ir Edwina in BG2. But yes the Girdle was funny

+ Reply to Thread