• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

99KingHigh

Supercilious Ivy League High Tory
71 Badges
Aug 29, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
Lawrence of Britannia - The History of the Fourth English Civil War (KR)

JbO268k.png

Voted Best History Book AAR of 2014

Foreword

Prologue
A Nation in Red: Mosely Rises
The Pen, The Wolf, the Lion

Chapter 1: The Five Year Plan
Interlude: Marius and Sulla
Chapter 2: Peace No More
Chapter 3: The Second Weltkrieg
Chapter 4: Honesty's Downfall
Chapter 5: A Rainy November Day
Chapter 6: Lawrence of Britannia
Chapter 7: Seven Cavaliers
Interlude: Political Factions in Civil War Republican Britain
Chapter 8: A Nation Torn Asunder
Chapter 9: Lawrence of Britannia - The Final Chapter

Last edited:
I've never seen this event chain pop up in game.

Sounds interesting, not too many UoB AARs in this forum.

I love the idea.!!!! On whose side will be Ian Fleming?

JbO268k.png

There are those individuals in the department of history that claim the course of human events is driven by a force that supersedes individual action. It is of their opinion that, despite the interventions of the human figure, the unraveling of our past exists as a mere inevitably. These guardians righteously defend a opinion entrenched in providence - fate seems equivalent to divinity - and we are all subject to its unmovable path.

In publishing this work, it is my wholehearted aspiration that these 'Fated Oligarchs' be toppled down, and in their place, a collection of modern individualists shall emerge. For the undeniable truth is the notion that history is forged from the will and ambition of individuals, not unlike the one scribing this tale, nor the one reading it. Their achievements are the cornerstone of human progress, Without this concept, we accept the simple yet convenient farseity of human worthlessness - we become mere chains to the blowing winds of destiny, fading away, all the time lacking the ambition to do, the ambition to reach, and the ambition to achieve. Moreover, subscription to this theory provides justification for those in power, their authority classified as inevitable while our subservience becomes necessary.

One cannot find a single historical event, transcending the boundaries of nature, that was beyond the influence of human character. Inquiring further, we can put forth three challenges to our theoretical opponents:
If the First President of the American Union State, Huey Long, had been shot on a chilly September afternoon, would the continued path of historical progress simply blot out the charismatic leader? Would the American Union State, building off the contemporary distress, still emerge? Would the subsequent Civil War ever spark? In the opinion of this present author, I firmly think not, but what is the word of an old Jew to convince the ages? A much older Jew is required.

Benjamin Disraeli, a man of similar opinion, once exclaimed, "Beware of endeavoring to become a great man in a hurry. One such attempt in ten thousand may succeed. These are fearful odds." His statement carries great weight, for his address, unlike the infamous insurgent John F. Kennedy (who subscribed to the 'Fate Theory'), confronts the individuality of "becoming great," rejecting the notion that 'Great leaders are born, not made. The right of 'greatness' by birth (not to be confused by the right of title), is inherently erroneous. Such an act strips the right of achievement from the individual, encumbering the natural drive for greatness. This drive is not borne, it is won.

A Foreword of Gratitude​
I would like to express my sincere thanks to The Rt. Hon. Mr. Tanzhang, PC, MP, of Plymouth Devonport, for his inspiring works of unparalleled quality, which, will undoubtedly be plagiarized for time immemorial. Likewise, it would be immoral not to offer gratitude to the Whigs of Whigs, The Rt. Hon. DensleyBlair, Viscount Blair of Dunny-on-the-Wold, PC, MP, of North Norfolk, who will surely burn in hell for his liberalism. May your brilliant writing be the sole light out of such a eternal pit of flame. Finally, I offer sincere appreciation to Tommy4ever, for his recent literary exploits in 'The Westminster System.' For now, and hopefully, forever - Tommy remains the only Red I shall ever intend to express my gratitude towards.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. Subbed!

Well, this'll be fun. Horrifically brutal and probably ideologically-polarizing, like all civil wars, but looking to be a great read nonetheless. Drive 'em into the sea, whoever they are!

("Insurgent JFK," eh? That raises some questions about the outcome of the Second ACW. From the mention of Long, I guess... AUS with the "Share Our Wealth" program?)

I feel an obligation to read along. Largely for the Orwell picture.

I would, of course, say more, but hell isn't the best setting in which to write at length. :D

I'm in! :)

Promising start. Looking forward to how this AAR will develop.

Sounds fun. I'm in!

Fourth? There is the historical one, the KR revolution and the one you are going to tell, but... that makes three wars. What I am missing? :wacko:

Fourth? There is the historical one, the KR revolution and the one you are going to tell, but... that makes three wars. What I am missing? :wacko:

The English Civil War had three phases: and often is divided into three separate units. The First Civil War (1642–46), The Second (1648–49), and the Third (1649–51).

The English Civil War had three phases: and often is divided into three separate units. The First Civil War (1642–46), The Second (1648–49), and the Third (1649–51).

What a mess. :p

Awesome! I've "inspired" someone to write a KR historybook AAR! Naturally I shall follow with great interest (once I get around to catching up on Dutchie's latest AAR at least!)

(Oh and BTW, have you checked out Meadow's classic history of the UoB?)