• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Isaios

Field Marshal
77 Badges
Dec 19, 2009
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Scenario: Roman Empire title at Medium Crown Authority with Primo Succ Law.

I've been trying to keep all vassal Duchies at Gavelkind to avoid any nasty vassal blobbing, but some Duchies seem to be created with Primogeniture rather than Gavelkind. Their Kingdoms are always destroyed, and I've been thinking it might be because they reached High Crown Authority before I got to them, but I tried to lower the CA of Scotland before destroying that title, and those Duchies are still made with Primo.

So something else is determining this. Probably something simple that I've forgotten. Something that will be highly embarrassing for me when one of you tells me :p

Is there a date change? This is after 1000.

This is weird, I have no explanation, if I had to take a wild guess I'd say that whoever created that duchy already his main with primo, wich would have been that way since start. Other than that it would be that succession law of a newly created duchy by AI just randoms but it makes no sense at all so I'd go for the first one.

Any title you create gets the inheritance laws of your primary title. Since you are primo, titles you create will be primo.

I'd agree with you, except for the 200 or so eyars of play before that where any new Ducal title was created as Gavelkind (possibly) due to the primary title having only Medium CA.

Yeah I think its related to crown authority. When you have elective or seniority the dukes always are created with primo. I only see gavelkind when I am under gavelkind myself as well.

Yeah I think its related to crown authority. When you have elective or seniority the dukes always are created with primo. I only see gavelkind when I am under gavelkind myself as well.

But which CA? There're no Empire or Kingdoms other than the Roman Empire title affecting the Duchies in question, and it has Medium CA and Primo succession. For the first two centuries, every Duchy created was Gavelkind (I also created the Kingdom of Cyprus, and it became Primo, but being titular, I'm not sure if it's an aberration or not) then suddenly, it switched to every Duchy created being Primo.

No matter the reason, it's annoyingly obscure, and I now want another GUI upgrade: On mouse-over of the "Create title" button, it will inform you of what Succession law and if applicable, what Crown Authority/Investiture law it'll use.

Well, after running a couple of tests, it looks to be related to the date.

Kingdoms will be created with the Succession law of the Empire, but at ToG start, Duchies will be Gavelkind, then after 1066 (can't check between 1000 and then) they'll be created with Primo.

What keeps naggin at me is the feeling that I've seen this described in an old patch-note, but I can't find it. Highly irksome. Maybe a dev comment on a patch-note? Meh.