• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Students - the only sort of people that absolutely don't care if it's regular weekday or weekend! :p

Hang on, I'll just need to get restored, as I've just woken up ;)

oh yes, and I'm that stupid that I'm a student again, I guess I like not taking care if its regular weekday or weekend :p

Strange that it was the Germans who broke the pact with Stalin because that really wasn't the smartest move! I should take a look at that sometime along with all the other stuff in the diplomacy code. Anyway, it looks like the Soviets could now attack Germany but that's completely in the hands of the military AI and its assessment of when it feels strong enough to do the job - so anybody's guess when they'll actually do it. In the short term you've now got Germany's full attention...

oh yes, and I'm that stupid that I'm a student again, I guess I like not taking care if its regular weekday or weekend :p

You got rich by selling the elixir of life, so you don't need to work anymore. Caught you on that, mister! :p

Strange that it was the Germans who broke the pact with Stalin because that really wasn't the smartest move! I should take a look at that sometime along with all the other stuff in the diplomacy code. Anyway, it looks like the Soviets could now attack Germany but that's completely in the hands of the military AI and its assessment of when it feels strong enough to do the job - so anybody's guess when they'll actually do it. In the short term you've now got Germany's full attention...

I was also quite dazzled by Germans actually canceling it. All they have (still 18th October) in the east is a few garrisons in the cities, but that's all. I expect things to get harder despite that I'm manouvering the AI to give me expeditionary troops :rolleyes:

Hahaha! Well, I wouldn't expect such a suicidal move from the Germans, but if I'm not wrong, in HPP the Soviet Union is scripted to prepare for a full-scale assault on Germany in 1942, so that's not gonna change too much how things would go anyway. =p

And do you think you can press on the attack in the Italian peninsula, now that the Frenchies quit? Or will there be an Italian comeback?

Hahaha! Well, I wouldn't expect such a suicidal move from the Germans, but if I'm not wrong, in HPP the Soviet Union is scripted to prepare for a full-scale assault on Germany in 1942, so that's not gonna change too much how things would go anyway. =p

Yes, probably. I hope Soviets will strike ASAP!

And do you think you can press on the attack in the Italian peninsula, now that the Frenchies quit? Or will there be an Italian comeback?

I've manuevered the AI to give me all the divisions present there (there were a lot of English divisions controlled by France the French would never ever give up without tag-switch), the only divisions allowed to run freely around are the Greek ones! :p

I think it's now too late in the year for the Germans to attempt Barbarossa but we must remember that you are "only" Yugoslavia so they might still attack the Soviets in the spring if they think they can.

Things have gone pretty grim with their reinforcements from France. I'm currently trying to plug the hole Germans punched through in western Hungary...

It might be the message that is wrong, sometimes you get the messages "You can cancelled XXX" where you definitely haven't but the other part most likely did.
My guess is that the Soviets cancelled it as they didn't have the pact area.

Just a mechanics question but how do you get the "Great War" modifier?

Looking at the event now, I think I got quite lucky on that, as I reset the MTTH by "constant" loading of the game (to not get ahead of the AAR too much). Anyway, it's in the events/Laws.txt and my best bet is on that I'm Allied and at war at Germany.

Chapter XI: A Breakthrough

As the command over units in Italy is taken, I already start attacking Ancona with two Free French divisions. This port will be useful for supplying my troops in the area!

vTY6zfz.gif

In the meanwhile, another defensive battle is won. German tanks are wreaking havoc though.

fx1dDuB.gif

On 10th November, most, if not all, of the Allied units in Italy is under Yugoslavian command. Using a great concentration of forces, Rome’s garrison is defeated a little bit more than a week.

x0XbBqh.gif

There were more troubles in Hungary however. Another particularly costly defense has come to its end.

UDzrMKj.gif

And then it came. 15th November is the day of German breakthrough in Körmend.

6Me6Omi.gif

Some good news came from Italy on 18th, as Rome was now firmly under Yugoslavian control!

7VVUq3P.gif

But this did not scare the Germans. Even with the defense reinforced by a few cavalry divisions from the north, they made their way around in Szombáthely.

W9x8iMN.gif

The situation is now critical. A whole infantry corps was now pulled out from the north, but it was doubtful whether this could turn the tide.

M9m10Ls.gif

On 24th, the defenders of, now badly outflanked, Györ were ordered to pull back.

5ULe0us.gif

However these weren’t the only bad news. Despite taking their time, Germans have captured Oslo.

EHSij6S.gif

The next day, the USA decided to stop selling crude oil to Japan. It was about time!

Z0wfWBF.gif

The worst was yet to come however. Ptuj, the Yugoslavian stronghold built for many years, had fallen to Germans. They even made us bleed more than we made them!

ixKdY0h.gif

A few battles might have been lost, but the whole war is still ongoing...

It's looking like you've pushed the German AI around once too often and now it's out for blood! :D

Since the Germans have approached Norway the "correct" way by taking Oslo I doubt they're going to be sending half the army there this time. Also, is there a risk they could cut off your forces in Italy? I'm assuming you haven't got transports to ship men home or if you have that the RM would still be a lethal threat to them?

It's looking like you've pushed the German AI around once too often and now it's out for blood! :D

It's been always bloody :p

Since the Germans have approached Norway the "correct" way by taking Oslo I doubt they're going to be sending half the army there this time. Also, is there a risk they could cut off your forces in Italy? I'm assuming you haven't got transports to ship men home or if you have that the RM would still be a lethal threat to them?

There isn't much risk. I have more than a corps of infantry in Villach, meaning Germans won't retake it anytime soon. I don't have any transports though.

Chapter XII: The Beginning of the End

Some Bulgarian partisans managed to take control over Pleven. Garrison from Sofiya is dispatched to take care of them!

Oi8MoMe.gif

On 6th December, two important infantry technologies are developed further.

RJgMKH8.gif

Nine infantry divisions from Italian front are sent back to help with containing the German breakthrough.

CEqVInQ.gif

The RYA in Hungary is a mess at this point. Units are either retreating or are completely out of position.

HnfdqzJ.gif

A defensive line is consolidated on the former Yugoslavian-Hungarian border, using Drava as the essential obstacle for the Germans. Meanwhile units in Hungary scramble to get to this defensive line.

UCAoUcc.gif

A massive counterattack is consolidated on a German tank division that dared to venture too far from its comrades.

HKwbp4n.gif

In Italy, an attack is staged on the contemporary Italian capital – Napoli. Italians are doomed to fail, as the assault is directed by Montgomery himself!

GH69tKc.gif

The city is taken three days later, but it’s still not enough to break the Italian will to fight. Meanwhile several divisions are in precarious situation near the Romanian border...

d0vxtU8.gif

oijXJ4G.gif

The stream of bad news doesn’t seem to end. Norway didn’t manage to survive to the year of 1942.

NBE7yHq.gif

On 29th, a successful attack is carried out to free seven infantry divisions.

ks4esZU.gif

At midnight on 30th, our fleet is engaged by one of the Italian battleships. Our destroyers, submarines and light cruiser Dalmacija are supported by a British light cruiser Pluton. Italians are forced to retreat. Neither side lost any ships that couldn’t be repaired though.

BuF5hSy.gif

Tough retreat fights are needed to preserve our army from taking even higher losses. None true Yugoslavian wants to end up in a German prisoner camp!

RXMDJaO.gif

The Yugoslavian High Command was shocked to see that the heavily fortified positions in Ptuj are completely abandoned without any German garrison. Several divisions were sent out to investigate the situation immediately. But it turned to be a well thought-out trap to inflict heavy casualties to RYA later on.

GW7Wcqh.gif

The retreat of our forces from Hungary is completed on 12th January. Only by a stroke of luck, no more than three divisions have been lost in the process.

h2lvJZH.gif

Despite this success, the situation is actually worse than ever. Germans are trying to break through in almost every province and almost every of these fights are going their way. It seems there is only a little hope for Yugoslavia to survive...

tWgbnaJ.gif

I belive that your Indpendent Yugoslavia will fall but if you take Italy, which is going to happen soon, you may get valuable IC and resources and aswell reinforce your line in the north

I belive that your Indpendent Yugoslavia will fall but if you take Italy, which is going to happen soon, you may get valuable IC and resources and aswell reinforce your line in the north

Changing Yugoslavia for Italy is a good deal, but I can't transfer all my VPs with it. However, troops in occupied territory don't surrender! :eek:

A very good job in that naval battle; not many cruisers (with destroyers and subs) can go toe-to-toe with a battleship!

I believe that it was the Pluton which did most of the job and I'd say the war is won on land :sad:

Never give up! I thought my number was up when all I had left was a strip of land south from Beograd to the Adriatic, with the Hungarians and Italians coming at me from the north and west, and the Bulgarians from the east. It really looked a lot more hopeless than your situation. Try to find some positions you can fall back to and obviously try to finish off the Italians so you can get those extra forces home. Buy yourself some time because it will soon be spring and something may still kick off between Germany and the Soviets that takes the pressure off you.

Never give up! I thought my number was up when all I had left was a strip of land south from Beograd to the Adriatic, with the Hungarians and Italians coming at me from the north and west, and the Bulgarians from the east. It really looked a lot more hopeless than your situation.

But you weren't fighting against Germany! :p

Try to find some positions you can fall back to and obviously try to finish off the Italians so you can get those extra forces home.

I'm trying. I've just decided to create the pocket, as I probably weren't able to rush into Taranto without risking over-stretching and some precarious sitation. It will cost me some more time, but I want to make sure I don't fail this.

Buy yourself some time because it will soon be spring and something may still kick off between Germany and the Soviets that takes the pressure off you.

I guess I'll have to fall back to the next riverline...