• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

yonderTheGreat

Colonel
114 Badges
Dec 12, 2002
www.planetdungeonsiege.com
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
To my knowledge, the base requirements to form most Kingdoms are, basically, you must control at least half of the counties in that Kingdom. Sometimes there's more, but that's about it.

My vassal just created the Kingdom of Taurica even though he only controls one Duchy and two Counties in that territory (D. Cherson and C's of Cherson & Theodosia). Now, I had recently made him Duke of Azov and Count of Tana and Kuban, but those territories are in an entirely different Kingdom (Alania). Heck, those two Duchies are in entirely different De Jure Empires (Carpathia and Tartaria).

Did giving him those Azov territories somehow make him able to create the Kingdom of Taurica?

For the record, 100% (9/9) of the Taurican counties are in my Realm. But they're owned by a total of four different people (and all four Duchies are controlled by different Dukes). The whole point of this was to not have vassal Kings. They're just too annoyingly powerful over time and want to rebel, the jerks.

Anywayz... what am I missing here? As always, thanks!

Did he or his vassals control anything in the Duchy of Crimea?

Taurica is a small kingdom consisting of only two duchies (Crimea and Cherson), of which Crimea is larger. If you control all of Crimea, you control more than 50% of Taurica. Cherson plus a little of Crimea would also be enough.

Same thing with the Kingdom of Serbia, which is made of Rascia/Rashka and Dioclea. One Duke who controls all of Rashka can make the Kingdom of Serbia by himself.

Of course you also have the one duchy kingdoms, most prominent in Hispania.

Ahh... yes... 3 of his vassals are in Tauria.

And my mistake, I meant to say I have four vassals in Taurica, 2 of them are Dukes. This particular vassal controls all of Cherson and also the County of Crimea.

But he's controlled these five for fifteen years. Any idea what mechanism is making him grab the Kingdom now, since I just gave him Azov (I was out of remotely decent people in my Court to give worthless land to)?

Yup creating any kingdom requires 2 duchies, even though before he had 50% more of taurica he couldn't create the kingdom. Thanks to the Azov duchy he could now

Dangit. I forgot about that.

Oh well... he likely won't cause much of a ruckus. It's not like it's a really awesome Kingdom.

Danger is that he starts pushing ducal claims for his vassals and enlarging his fief.

Ahh... yes... 3 of his vassals are in Tauria.

And my mistake, I meant to say I have four vassals in Taurica, 2 of them are Dukes. This particular vassal controls all of Cherson and also the County of Crimea.

But he's controlled these five for fifteen years. Any idea what mechanism is making him grab the Kingdom now, since I just gave him Azov (I was out of remotely decent people in my Court to give worthless land to)?

Yup creating any kingdom requires 2 duchies, even though before he had 50% more of taurica he couldn't create the kingdom. Thanks to the Azov duchy he could now

While most Kingdoms do require 2 duchies, I don't think every one does.

I remember my vassal Doux of Rashka becoming the King of Serbia with only a single Duchy. I know b/c I always revoked secondary duchies.

In any case, I would guess that it takes quite a bit of time for the vassal to generate enough gold and piety to create the kingdom. In my ERE game, I started in 867 and vassalized Rashka within the first few years. It took many centuries (either the 1200's or 1300's) before they finally created the Kingdom.

I don't know the details of your game, but another limiting factor is if you are a King title (which prevents your vassals from creating king titles). If you recently became an Emperor, then suddenly your vassals are allowed to create king titles.

Danger is that he starts pushing ducal claims for his vassals and enlarging his fief.

Very true. Dangit... I'm got to wipe him out now. Time to come up with a Byzantine scheme, a political Rube Goldberg machine, so-to-speak. How appropriate!

And lol @ J_C.

Good thing the land up there isn't very awesome. Looks great on the map though!

While most Kingdoms do require 2 duchies, I don't think every one does.

I remember my vassal Doux of Rashka becoming the King of Serbia with only a single Duchy. I know b/c I always revoked secondary duchies.

In any case, I would guess that it takes quite a bit of time for the vassal to generate enough gold and piety to create the kingdom. In my ERE game, I started in 867 and vassalized Rashka within the first few years. It took many centuries (either the 1200's or 1300's) before they finally created the Kingdom.

I don't know the details of your game, but another limiting factor is if you are a King title (which prevents your vassals from creating king titles). If you recently became an Emperor, then suddenly your vassals are allowed to create king titles.

Everyone needs two duchies to create a kingdom. No exceptions.

Revoke the title as soon as you feel comfortable to take the -40 hit (after 15 years of reign - also imprison a plotting count and release for a +10 thus reducing the overall hit to -30). Then, since he has two duchies your other dukes will do the rest (dukes can plot against other dukes who have two duchies to have one of them go to a new ruler).

Very nice to hear that the AI occasionally actually forms Taurica - it's never happened in my over 1300 hours of gameplay. I was beginning to wonder if it was somehow unformable except for the human player.

Kingdom of Cyprus?

That one is titular while Serbia is not. But iirc you'd still need two duchies to create titular ones.

Revoke the title as soon as you feel comfortable to take the -40 hit (after 15 years of reign - also imprison a plotting count and release for a +10 thus reducing the overall hit to -30). Then, since he has two duchies your other dukes will do the rest (dukes can plot against other dukes who have two duchies to have one of them go to a new ruler).

Why would you even bother to do that? Just revoke the kingdom whenever the current king gives you a reason to do so. It is not as if a king of Taurica is dangerous.

Why would you even bother to do that? Just revoke the kingdom whenever the current king gives you a reason to do so. It is not as if a king of Taurica is dangerous.

His other vassals might be, and the tyranny penalty applies to all vassals.

EDIT: Missed the "reason" part. Sure, if there's a valid reason you should just revoke it immediately.