What to do with North African nations as Spain?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Loveeulongtime

Captain
83 Badges
Oct 15, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
I'm playing Spain for the first time, currently I have Morocco and Algier. So far I see two options

-annex their lands, with oversea province modifier though I don't know how valuable they will be... the only thing that's good about it is probably their trade power

-annex both, change their lands to christian so when I release them they won't have rebellion everywhere :p, then hope that one of them will westernize, annex the one that didn't westernize, and feed it to the one that did. economically it's a worse option but at least they'll be useful militarily

if anyone could give me other option I'd appreciate it, thanks

Diplo annex. Its trade and extra force limit.
But if you're Spain you should have ate Portugal already.

All of Seville shall be yours!

As Spain Nibble on Oran, Melilla, Ceuta and Tangiers one at a time each time continue to Reconquesta comes up. Since the mission only requires to core 1 each time and get 200 ADM back you can get each one for cheap in ADM points. I don't play with vassal feeding much.

I don't want to eat Portugal, they're my buddy, plus I'm scared of France and blobbing Austria, both of them hate me :\

"As Spain Nibble on Oran, Melilla, Ceuta and Tangiers one at a time each time continue to Reconquesta comes up. Since the mission only requires to core 1 each time and get 200 ADM back you can get each one for cheap in ADM points. I don't play with vassal feeding much. "

Oh I never did the mission... I didn't even notice it give that much ADM... I'll pay attention that better next time lol xD

I actually find North Afrika to be pretty much worthless. Distant oversea + Berber + Muslim will get you nearly no Money and high revolt risk and it will be very hard to christianize.
I'd say leave them alone for more worthwile targets.

Tangier and, iirc, Oran are Important Centres of Trade and will boost your collect value in Sevilla significantly, letting you focus more of your trade fleet out in the Western Europe node when transferring glorious treasures from the New World.

They're not worth getting Religious ideas for just them, mind you. You should be able to convert them eventually with the Counter-reformation. Until then, you still get full trade power from them, so they might be worth the distraction.

Conquer them for two reasons:
- Trade, if you manage to take all of Morocco you will have lots of power in the Sevilla trade node, so you won't need too many ships there and will be able to use them in the Atlantic
- Keep them away from the Ottos. Most of the times in my games these countries are allied/conquered/vassalized by the Ottos.

I would try to make one or two powerful vassals of that region. One way to accomplish this is to ally a small country (Tunis or Fez if it has been created) and feed them provinces from Morocco and Algeria until they are small enough to vassalize. Then you can turn on this ally and feed the cores back to your vassals. Once the North Africa region is controlled by your vassals, you can annex all but one and sell them the provinces (you will get cores when you annex and there is no need to tie up multiple diplomatic slots for North Africa). As a vassal, they will provide more money than you will make from the overseas, Muslim land. They will also provide a good protection against other aggressors in the region.

I usually just force vassalization and/or conquer and then release as vassals everything out to Tripoli as close to the start of the game as I can. They'll help out in early wars and then you can annex them later on once they become useless.

Tangiers, Melilla, Oran and Ceuta are the only provinces worth taking. I once annexed Morocco and Algiers as Castile and it did much more harm than good, because the provinces turned out to be almost completely worthless and generated nothing but troubles. You could vassalize them if you like, but there are better places to where you can focus your attention, like Italy.

Tangiers, Melilla, Oran and Ceuta are the only provinces worth taking. I once annexed Morocco and Algiers as Castile and it did much more harm than good, because the provinces turned out to be almost completely worthless and generated nothing but troubles. You could vassalize them if you like, but there are better places to where you can focus your attention, like Italy.
I find that having a big vassal there can protect my colonies in western Africa so that I don't have to leave more than a token colonization stack of 5 or so troops there. This alone is worth the one diplomatic slot to maintain the vassal. The only downside is that if you plan to annex a lot of other vassals, keeping one around means accruing 30 negative diplomacy every time you annex another.

No. Don't eat Portugal. Let them colonize for you. Vassalize them and integrate once America is fully colonized. Generally speaking, a Portugal is good for Spain, since it colonizes, brings trades, has merchants (so there is spanish and portuguese merchants bringing trade to sevilla), etc. Unless you're doing a continental Spain, letting Portugal alive brings more benefits than else (just conquer a province with trade modifier or spam light ships in sevilla, which you should do anyway).

Edit : though, there's the bug that you don't get a vassal CN when you integrate, but it will be fixed.