• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sonofliber

Captain
122 Badges
Jan 4, 2009
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Knights of Honor
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
So i started my first ironman playthru in ROI, and my god those save times, i spend more time waiting for the game to save than playing, it takes longer for the game to save, that for the game to run for 1 month.

is there a fix for that?

So i started my first ironman playthru in ROI, and my god those save times, i spend more time waiting for the game to save than playing, it takes longer for the game to save, that for the game to run for 1 month.

is there a fix for that?

I've played one iron man game from the TOG start date to end. It really started lagging for me by the 1200s, to the point where I was spending most of my time afk and returning periodically just to close messages and get the clock running again.

Very tedious, but playable if you have the will. I'd recommend closing the application and restarting your computer from time to time, that should improve performance temporarily.

I've played one iron man game from the TOG start date to end. It really started lagging for me by the 1200s, to the point where I was spending most of my time afk and returning periodically just to close messages and get the clock running again.

Very tedious, but playable if you have the will. I'd recommend closing the application and restarting your computer from time to time, that should improve performance temporarily.

thing is, is not my machine (really it has 16gb and an i7 so it can go nuts), so that doesnt really improve my performance

Save times grow with the number of characters, there's not a whole lot that can be done to shorten them. About the only thing is to make sure that you have compressed saves turned off (if you even can for ironman) as that might save a little time (if the compression is the slow part and not the actual disk writing).

thing is, is not my machine (really it has 16gb and an i7 so it can go nuts), so that doesnt really improve my performance

Do you have an SSD? I hear that's the most important thing. The autosaving is the biggest reason I never play Ironman. I haven't save-scummed in months just playing normal games. Plus I like using the console to fix bugs, should they arise. But save times should really be a priority for paradox, given how much longer they've gotten since ROI.

Yeah its pretty horrible at the moment. I thought I would try for a few steam achievements but it takes twice as long for every year compared to non-ironman mode games. Just not worth it at the moment. Seems ironman is not worth the hassle unless some major performance fixing is done.

Same here. I got really bad after the expac was released. I have tried with both compression on and off as well as cloud saving and it takes aaaaaaaaaaaaages.

Even on an SSD it gets pretty bad after about 200y. Im very happy i did the 867-1453 playthrough before RoI. I just finished my 1066-1453 playthrough, which was about 1h for every ten years last two/three centuries on speed 5. Apparently ironman mode isnt so bad in EU4, which makes me believe/hope they are looking for ways to improve it. There is a topic in the bug section about this.

I was reading through some threads where the usually "my roxxor system is fine, upgrade lolz" knuckleheads always barge in.

The truth is there is an issue since the RoI update. Even on a top end system with an SSD drive the constant saving disrupts the gameplay. If, like me, you play on top or next to top speed you spend more time saving than going through actual gameplay.

There is something clearly not working correctly in saving system. I recently had occasion to play on 2 different computers, and the results were surprising.
PC 1: AMD Phenom II X6, 4GB DDR3 Ram, HD Radeon 5850, normal HDD (don't remember model or speed). Windows 7 64 bit, old install (around 4 years old).
PC 2: Intel i5 3570k, 16GB DDR3 Ram, GeForce 660Ti, SSD, fresh Windows 7 64 bit install.

Even though PC 1 is much older, and overall game performance wasn't very good (constant hiccups, not very responsive on higher speeds), the saving to cloud was very fast (aroud 0.3s at beginning of the game), saving locally took around much longer (around 3 seconds).
On PC 2, overall game performance is excellent (perfectly fluid, no hiccups on speed 5), however each save takes around 3 to 4 seconds, doesn't matter if it is to cloud or locally.

Something is wrong on Paradox' end. PC 2 should be getting better save times in all circumstances, but it's clearly not the case. I really hope it gets fixed eventually. EU4 ironman works really well, saves are fast and less frequent I believe.